Coastal Chaos

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Or UVa. If we don't win Coastal, I'd like for UVa to win it. To do that, they'll have to beat VT for the first time in forever.

There are 3 Coastal teams with one loss. UVa, VT and Pitt. I think a 2 loss team takes Coastal.

And then is destroyed and humiliated by Clemson.

Ok, I said "I think a 2 loss team takes Coastal." I didn't look at the stats. I think it is highly likely that a 2 win Coastal team wins.

Here are the last 5 years. In addition to every team losing a maximum of two games, there has been a different Coastal champ every year. So obviously, UVa or Pitt will win this year! (tic)
2017 UM 7-1
2016 VT 6-2
2015 UNC 8-0 (Pitt was 6-2)
2014 GT 6-2
2013 Duke 6-2

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the coastal champ will be a 3 loss (in conference) team this year. I’m not sure who that will be but I’m leaning toward it being uva.
If it's a three loss team, I do not see how it can be UVA. They would have to lose to either VT or Pitt (plus GT). In That case UVA would need which ever they lost to to lose all their remaining ACC games. While that is possible, I do not think it's likely.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
By my very brief understanding of the conference tiebreakers, if Pitt loses 2 of their last 3 division games and there's a 3+ way tie with UVA and/or VT, we would advance as Pitt would be eliminated based on division record and we would advance with a tiebreaker restart and wins over UVA and VT.

This Friday's game between Pitt and UVA will be crucial!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If it's a three loss team, I do not see how it can be UVA. They would have to lose to either VT or Pitt (plus GT). In That case UVA would need which ever they lost to to lose all their remaining ACC games. While that is possible, I do not think it's likely.

I admittedly haven’t looked at the tiebreaker scenarios. I just don’t think a coastal team goes 6-2 with the parity in the division.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So, who should we be rooting for?
Rooting for UVA. UVA only needs to lose 1 of their remaining games (and then us, of course) for us to tie them and own the tiebreaker.

Quick edit: UVA only has 1 more conference game if you discard Pitt and us. So they would have to lose to us and VT for us to beat them in conference standings. Now I'm not so sure about rooting for UVA. Pitt would have to lose to VT and Miami for us to tie them (and then win a 3 way tiebreaker). So yeah let's root for UVA. UVA losing @VT doesn't seem too out of the question.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some of the scenarios that eliminate UVA allow VT and/or Pitt to finish with only two losses, or in Pitt's case three. In a two way tie with us and Pitt, they win. In a three way with Pitt and anyone else, we win (unless Duke can beat Clemson and Miami, then it gets complicated).

Last edited:
Alright so for my own mind I broke this out and we have a decent chance here.
First we have to win out in the ACC....Captain Obvious here.
VT: lose to BC and UM. We have the tie breaker
UVA: lose to VT and GT We have the tie breaker
Pitt: lose to UVA, VT, UM
Miami: lose to GT we have the tie breaker
Duke: lose to Clemson

In this the one that I think has the best chance is Pitt. I am not sure what VT will do from here on out and I just can't get a handle on UVA or UM.

Alright so for my own mind I broke this out and we have a decent chance here.
First we have to win out in the ACC....Captain Obvious here.
VT: lose to BC and UM. We have the tie breaker
UVA: lose to VT and GT We have the tie breaker
Pitt: lose to UVA, VT, UM
Miami: lose to GT we have the tie breaker
Duke: lose to Clemson

In this the one that I think has the best chance is Pitt. I am not sure what VT will do from here on out and I just can't get a handle on UVA or UM.

Thanks for the breakdown, Captain. (y)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the coastal champ will be a 3 loss (in conference) team this year. I’m not sure who that will be but I’m leaning toward it being uva.

Last time that happened was 2012 with three 5-3 teams; UNC, GT and UM. As I recall (I'm old), we beat UNC on tiebreaker and UM would have gone but elected to self sanction which allowed us to go to the ACC CG.

So your opinion is possible; then we have to win the tiebreakers since there will be more than one 5-3 team. (I think mathematically that has to happen since so many other Coastal teams will be below 500.)

I do not want to depend on VT beating UVA, so I am pulling for Pitt on Friday. Also BC and Duke.

I want UVa to beat VT. But given the history of the series, VT lives rent free inside UVa's head. If I "knew" we were going to win out in ACC, I could pull for Pitt over UVa. Aaaahhhhh, conundrums.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I want UVa to beat VT. But given the history of the series, VT lives rent free inside UVa's head. If I "knew" we were going to win out in ACC, I could pull for Pitt over UVa. Aaaahhhhh, conundrums.[/QUOTE]

This year, VT's streak works against them because UVa is the better team and they will likely be extra stoked to end it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Depending on VT to beat UVA in Blacksburg is a no brainer over relying on Wake Forest.

Winning the division > winning/making the IDGAF Bowl
Winning the conference >>> winning/making the IDGAF Bowl

Next time we win a conference championship, I'll celebrate like Atlanta United winning the MLS Cup.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Depending on VT to beat UVA in Blacksburg is a no brainer over relying on Wake Forest.

Winning the division > winning/making the IDGAF Bowl
Winning the conference >>> winning/making the IDGAF Bowl

Next time we win a conference championship, I'll celebrate like Atlanta United winning the MLS Cup.
REMEMBER---->Any Bowl is better than staying home and watching it on TV:cigar:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sometimes it’s just easier to pull for teams you like more. We get what we earn. And we dug too deep of a hole here early. Winning out is very possible, but also not the most likely outcome this year.

Of all the teams in the coastal though. I think we have the best shot to beat Clemson in Charlotte.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not want to depend on VT beating UVA, so I am pulling for Pitt on Friday. Also BC and Duke.

We need VT to beat the winner of the UVA-Pitt game no matter what. If UVA wins, that puts them at 5-1 with only us and VT left. If Pitt wins, that puts them at 4-1 with games left against VT, Miami and Wake. We would need Pitt to lose to both VT and Miami in order to get the Division record tiebreaker over them.

And I hate to say it but Miami winning out, except for us of course, would be good for us.