Coaching changes?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to respond to the Roof thing. Defensive Scoring rank by season as DC:

GT '99: 93
GT '00: 21 http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2000/Internet/ranking_summary/2000000000255.HTML
GT '01: 37
Duke '02: 83 (114th the prior year)
Duke '03: 76
Minnesota '08: 61 (109th the prior year)
Auburn '09: 79 (14th prior year)
Auburn '10: 53
Auburn '11: 78
Penn State '12: 16
GT '13: 29
GT '14: 52
GT '15: 51

Sometimes you're like Trump - if you say it loud enough it must be true. But he's actually done it 4 times, three of those at Tech, and one of those in 2013. He also made Duke and Minnesota alot better. But he made Auburn worse. And 16th at PSU was pretty amazing.

He's not the best, but he certainly is better than you make him out to be.

I was using total defense. You picked scoring d which is far more than just the D, as scoring d is far more affected by your O.

If you look up total d I will be shown accurate. However I couldn't find a reliable data for gt in 99 00 and 01 so I said the last decade and again I will be shown to be accurate. And I published these numbers in a prior post. His only year better than top 45 in total d was penn st.

Btw u may want to double check that 2013 stat. I think it's more like in the 50s

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
BTW just because I am bored, and thanks for the trump compliment....you must be clinton with all the stats stated wrong :)

GT scoring D
pts per game
2015 60
2014 50
2013 57

yards per point
2015 84
2014 27
2013 62

points per play
2015 88
2014 75
2013 69

So i don't know where you are getting your numbers...but they don't jive....and I stand by my loud trump statements. The stats prove it. In the last decade he has one D worth a spit and it was penn state. And I suggest you look at those stats the year prior to roof....about the same...and the numbers do show he is at best a mediocre DC

I don't have the time to look at all the other schools but your post shows he wasn't great there either. The old tech teams....gosh that 2000 D was good. 99 was a dumpster fire. I don't remember much about 2001...top 40 seems about right.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-play?date=2014-01-06

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just to respond to the Roof thing. Defensive Scoring rank by season as DC:

GT '99: 93
GT '00: 21 http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2000/Internet/ranking_summary/2000000000255.HTML
GT '01: 37
Duke '02: 83 (114th the prior year)
Duke '03: 76
Minnesota '08: 61 (109th the prior year)
Auburn '09: 79 (14th prior year)
Auburn '10: 53
Auburn '11: 78
Penn State '12: 16
GT '13: 29
GT '14: 52
GT '15: 51

Sometimes you're like Trump - if you say it loud enough it must be true. But he's actually done it 4 times, three of those at Tech, and one of those in 2013. He also made Duke and Minnesota alot better. But he made Auburn worse. And 16th at PSU was pretty amazing.

He's not the best, but he certainly is better than you make him out to be.
Thanks for doing some research.
Auburn fans knock on him was they had lots of talent that he couldn't get max performance. Auburn fans are not reliable
. But your numbers do point out lots of 1,2,3 years stays @ 5 locations.
I was pumped when he came back to gt (following groh = who wouldn't be pumped) because I thought with a black watch type defense we could dominate. Instead we have groh in q 1,2& part of 3 while the offense scores using up clock. Then he turns up the heat - where defenders bait the qb into coverage set up to jump routes. Very effective in 14. Let's give him 16 to see if he can get more turn overs without giving up lots of points.
I would love to see brant and st amoir blitzing like roof used to as leader of black watch.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for doing some research.
Auburn fans knock on him was they had lots of talent that he couldn't get max performance. Auburn fans are not reliable
. But your numbers do point out lots of 1,2,3 years stays @ 5 locations.
I was pumped when he came back to gt (following groh = who wouldn't be pumped) because I thought with a black watch type defense we could dominate. Instead we have groh in q 1,2& part of 3 while the offense scores using up clock. Then he turns up the heat - where defenders bait the qb into coverage set up to jump routes. Very effective in 14. Lets give him 16 to see if he can get more turn overs without giving up lots of points.

i think techphi typed in wrong numbers....see my post above. Roof is struggling with stats look IMO. I still can't find a D in the past decade other than penn state above top 45 or so.

anyway, and more important, I stand by it, the repetitive mistakes our players make on the field, and what I perceive to be obvious scheme deficiencies, (discussed live in chat many times with @Ibeeballin ) IMO roof is not it for us. He is not creative. He doesn't attack protection schemes by his defensive design. And doesn't disguise coverages much if at all. To me, this is a very vanilla D that relies on team speed and athletes to succeed, much like a Bama does many times, and at tech I think we need to take more risks and be more creative

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW just because I am bored, and thanks for the trump compliment....you must be clinton with all the stats stated wrong :)

GT scoring D
pts per game
2015 60
2014 50
2013 57

yards per point
2015 84
2014 27
2013 62

points per play
2015 88
2014 75
2013 69

So i don't know where you are getting your numbers...but they don't jive....and I stand by my loud trump statements. The stats prove it. In the last decade he has one D worth a spit and it was penn state. And I suggest you look at those stats the year prior to roof....about the same...and the numbers do show he is at best a mediocre DC

I don't have the time to look at all the other schools but your post shows he wasn't great there either. The old tech teams....gosh that 2000 D was good. 99 was a dumpster fire. I don't remember much about 2001...top 40 seems about right.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-play?date=2014-01-06

I used the NCAA website, but could be wrong on the 2013 due to transcribing it incorrectly. I put a link in my original post, and I did look up what they did before he got there - in the post also. He made Duke and MN better, great job at PSU, bad at Auburn, mediocre at Tech. And I like scoring defense because I don't care if you give up yards but don't let the other team score.

And just like I said in my post, he's not great. But he's done better than just one good year, IMO. He also seems to be recruiting well for us.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
i think techphi typed in wrong numbers....see my post above. Roof is struggling with stats look IMO. I still can't find a D in the past decade other than penn state above top 45 or so.

anyway, and more important, I stand by it, the repetitive mistakes our players make on the field, and what I perceive to be obvious scheme deficiencies, (discussed live in chat many times with @Ibeeballin ) IMO roof is not it for us. He is not creative. He doesn't attack protection schemes by his defensive design. And doesn't disguise coverages much if at all. To me, this is a very vanilla D that relies on team speed and athletes to succeed, much like a Bama does many times, and at tech I think we need to take more risks and be more creative
That's totally fair, he's not a world beater. But I also do t think you can fire / hire all the time and expect to be good.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's totally fair, he's not a world beater. But I also do t think you can fire / hire all the time and expect to be good.
I agree 100% with your last point!!!! But I think it has to be the right coach too, and what i struggle with on Roof and invalidates that approach for me is not just history, but what I see on the field.....so again, my opinion....i know many want him to be better, and want us to be better, as do I.

This isn't an anti-roof the person opinion of mine. Its simply looking at him as a coach.

And we all are saying he is a good recruiter, but also outside of AJ Gray, who was not recruited by roof IIRC...who has he brought in any more highly touted than the guy before him? Sneezy and Kallon were every bit as highly rated etc....The data looks the same year to year to me. The recruits on D, look about the same. Maybe I am missing something.

so for me, the recruiting thing may be overblown.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Like Tenuta did?

not sure if replying to me, but I am not suggesting we do what JT did exactly....cover 3 75% of the time; which gave up the backside in or curl all the time. If you had a QB that could find it and a line that could give him time he could pick us apart. But with tenuta...the latter was rare. What I am suggesting, is we utilize a line blocking exploitation D like tenuta did. He was a master at attacking and breaking down a teams blocking schemes based on their tape and tendencies; and creating pressure packages to do that.

We rarely brought 6. We always brought 4 or 5; and disguised which 4 or 5; and blitzed where that team's OL had a switch call or struggled with pickups. If the line call adjusts to what they think the D is bringing 6, and they slide the line, then you don't bring the blitzer to the side they support and bring and extra man from the opposite side you either have a free blitzer or a one on one with a RB...and you win most times.

To do this, you really need to be able to break down a teams OL based on tape....and I don't think Ted does that; his scheme suggests none of that is done.

so here is an example of what I would like to be more creative in.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was using total defense. You picked scoring d which is far more than just the D, as scoring d is far more affected by your O.

If you look up total d I will be shown accurate. However I couldn't find a reliable data for gt in 99 00 and 01 so I said the last decade and again I will be shown to be accurate. And I published these numbers in a prior post. His only year better than top 45 in total d was penn st.

Btw u may want to double check that 2013 stat. I think it's more like in the 50s

GT was 27th in Total D (ypg) in 2013. 31st in Total yards surrendered. (I like the ypg stat better because everyone does not play the same number of games) Scoring D was ranked 29th in 2013 as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football.../position/defense/sort/yardsPerGame/year/2013

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
GT was 27th in Total D (ypg) in 2013. 31st in Total yards surrendered. (I like the ypg stat better because everyone does not play the same number of games) Scoring D was ranked 29th in 2013 as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football.../position/defense/sort/yardsPerGame/year/2013

It was 40 in YPG per this link
it was 74 in yards per play

with our O yards per play is more important than yards per game due to TOP advantage. Which makes our numbers on D that much worse...we should be killing it on D with TOP

as an example, GT was 18 in opponent plays per game in 2013....meaning...the opponent didn't run many plays...hence lower yardage...so yards per play very important

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game?date=2014-01-06

does espn include bowl and champ games in their yards stats? Not sure why these numbers don't match

scoring d was 57 in my link

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

GT scoring D
pts per game
2015 60
2014 50
2013 57

yards per point
2015 84
2014 27
2013 62

points per play
2015 88
2014 75
2013 69

I'm just curious and not picking a bone, but how many All ACC players did he have in those 3 years and where do we rank in that stat? I'm still of a mind that his issues have more to do with personnel, particularly on the DL, than scheme and coaching and most of those players are not ones he brought in. I'm open to stats that contradict this opinion.

I'm also encouraged by last year's recruiting class which appears to have landed us a talent upgrade on defense in both quantity and quality. I'd like to see how those guys impact our D before ushering a Tech legend out the door for the second time. As a student, I remember watching Ted play on the flats during a down time in GT football. He and his Blackwatch defense was what actually compelled me to watch the action on the field.

As for his Auburn stint, I copied this from his GT bio:

"In 2010 at Auburn, Roof’s defense ranked ninth nationally in rushing defense and 16th in tackles for loss. In the BCS Championship game, the Tigers (14-0)"
held Oregon to 19 points - 28 points below the Ducks’ season average.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ted_roof_844649.html

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was 40 in YPG per this link
it was 74 in yards per play

with our O yards per play is more important than yards per game due to TOP advantage. Which makes our numbers on D that much worse...we should be killing it on D with TOP

as an example, GT was 18 in opponent plays per game in 2013....meaning...the opponent didn't run many plays...hence lower yardage...so yards per play very important

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game?date=2014-01-06

does espn include bowl and champ games in their yards stats? Not sure why these numbers don't match

scoring d was 57 in my link

How about using the official NCAA stats? 27th.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm just curious and not picking a bone, but how many All ACC players did he have in those 3 years and where do we rank in that stat? I'm still of a mind that his issues have more to do with personnel, particularly on the DL, than scheme and coaching and most of those players are not ones he brought in. I'm open to stats that contradict this opinion.

I'm also encouraged by last year's recruiting class which appears to have landed us a talent upgrade on defense in both quantity and quality. I'd like to see how those guys impact our D before ushering a Tech legend out the door for the second time. As a student, I remember watching Ted play on the flats during a down time in GT football. He and his Blackwatch defense was what actually compelled me to watch the action on the field.

As for his Auburn stint, I copied this from his GT bio:

"In 2010 at Auburn, Roof’s defense ranked ninth nationally in rushing defense and 16th in tackles for loss. In the BCS Championship game, the Tigers (14-0)"
held Oregon to 19 points - 28 points below the Ducks’ season average.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ted_roof_844649.html

one game is not a trend.

in 2013 at the end of the year (roofs best D at tech) we had 2 All-ACC player including honorable mentions
in 2014, roofs worst D...we had 6 All-ACC players on D including honorable mentions

the cream of the crop, ie who receives national awards is not always correlated with D unit success. D units are much more than the top 5 players. Its about 11 players, a good scheme, well coached, on the same page, and total depth/talent. Not just ALL-ACC people.

Some of our best D's at tech, we didn't have alot of all-acc types, maybe 1-2, but the unit was cohesive, well coached, smart etc. The on field talent at tech today on D is not world beater. I agree. But I don't think roof is getting the most out of them by a long shot. We should be better on D than we are. Its more than just players....sure that needs to improve. So does the coaching staff.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
one game is not a trend.

in 2013 at the end of the year (roofs best D at tech) we had 2 All-ACC player including honorable mentions
in 2014, roofs worst D...we had 6 All-ACC players on D including honorable mentions

the cream of the crop, ie who receives national awards is not always correlated with D unit success. D units are much more than the top 5 players. Its about 11 players, a good scheme, well coached, on the same page, and total depth/talent. Not just ALL-ACC people.

Some of our best D's at tech, we didn't have alot of all-acc types, maybe 1-2, but the unit was cohesive, well coached, smart etc. The on field talent at tech today on D is not world beater. I agree. But I don't think roof is getting the most out of them by a long shot. We should be better on D than we are. Its more than just players....sure that needs to improve. So does the coaching staff.
Maybe he need to be on the field this yr not the Press Box. Like all the other DC Hint Hint!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
FYI from Paul Johnson

Johnson said Tech blitzed 26 percent of the time, but “they weren’t very effective.” He suggested that ramping up the aggression – sending seven defenders at quarterbacks instead of five or six – might be the answer.

We blitzed 26% of the time, and noted as not effective. To me the answer isn't as simple as sending 7 although that can work if they block with 6. We send 7 and a team max protects forget it. The answer is doing a better job of attacking protection schemes with your blitzes to make them more effective. When you do this, even in max protect you can trick and overload a switch or side even by rushing just 5 by making the line think someone is coming, it occupies that linemen just enough before he switches to free up a lane.

We can blitz 40% or 50% of the time doing what we do; and it still won't work. Our blitzes are easy pickups for modern zone offense's; and telegraphed to boot....the blitzing needs more complexity to it

they need to get better blitz packages, not just send more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
FYI from Paul Johnson

Johnson said Tech blitzed 26 percent of the time, but “they weren’t very effective.” He suggested that ramping up the aggression – sending seven defenders at quarterbacks instead of five or six – might be the answer.

We blitzed 26% of the time, and noted as not effective. To me the answer isn't as simple as sending 7 although that can work if they block with 6. We send 7 and a team max protects forget it. The answer is doing a better job of attacking protection schemes with your blitzes to make them more effective. When you do this, even in max protect you can trick and overload a switch or side even by rushing just 5 by making the line think someone is coming, it occupies that linemen just enough before he switches to free up a lane.

We can blitz 40% or 50% of the time doing what we do; and it still won't work. Our blitzes are easy pickups for modern zone offense's; and telegraphed to boot....the blitzing needs more complexity to it

they need to get better blitz packages, not just send more.
Maybe if we had DL's that could beat their man mano-a-mano we wouldn't need to blitz so much.
It also doesn't help that lb's can't cover pass routes worth a flip.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Dell McGee was just added to the ugag staff as running backs coach. Was the long time head coach at Carver Columbus and coaches running backs at georgia southern for a season.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe if we had DL's that could beat their man mano-a-mano we wouldn't need to blitz so much.
It also doesn't help that lb's can't cover pass routes worth a flip.

But we don't and that's the point. It's the job of the coach to figure out how to do the best with what we do have in the short term and address those deficiencies in the long term.