Coaching changes?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson has won ACC Coach of the Year several times for us (including LAST season), and has won more double-digit seasons than any Coach since Bobby Dodd. The problem is most certainly NOT with Paul Johnson, it was with the MASSIVE number of INJURIES we sustained THIS season.

Glenn, can you please comment on the offensive line issues? You have talked about injuries a lot, but as best I can recall, our o line has been mostly healthy all year, as have our B backs (not sure Leggett would have made much of a difference. Probably on par with others).

I honestly think that he played a very large role in our troubles.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't Roof coach DBs?
Well, it is an interesting proposition. But I am going to offer a contrarian view and say it is not nearly so much the coaching as it is the players or lack thereof. We have no game breakers on the outside. A serious lack of speed at A back. All of which is compounded by the worst cascade of injuries I have seen in over 35 years of watching Tech. The Bear himself could not make a winner out of his first Texas A&M team, the infamous Junction Boys, and neither could anyone else under these circumstances with Tech today. The 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes are disasters and will haunt this program for a while. We have to recruit better especially on defense it is just that simple. Our players are boys going up against grown men. I know, that excuse is not valid for the offensive line but I still believe it is a talent issue. They just aren't that good. I saw number 75 attempt to block a defensive end on a counter option play. It was like he was hitting him with tennis balls, he just bounced off. Sad.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I do not think outside of the UNC game that our Defense has been bad or the problem this year.... The Offense/OLINE has been the problem.

I will go out on a limb and say that the OLINE coach is not the problem. I mean how does the OLINE coach do a great job last year 11-3 and this year 3-8 with only Shaq Mason leaving. This stinks of locker room issues and RS seniors not being very talented...

Also I think CPJ is loyal to his recuits, for example I think Justin Thomas should have started in 2013 (probably after BYU game) however CPJ stands by his players.....(and kept starting Vad Lee)

I think this year is what it is.... Lack of RS Senior & Senior leadership!!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not close enough to the program to say who needs to stay or go, but our line play on both sides of the ball need improvement. The fact that younger players are playing in some of those positions demonstrates the willingness of the coaching staff to make some changes. I know it is easy to say our O line play is bad and Sewak needs to go, but only a select few know whether the issue is really coaching. I do trust CPJ to make things better, and he strikes me as a person that expects a lot out of his coaching staff. At the end of the day, if you trust him to be the head coach you have to trust his him to make the proper staffing choices.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Look for the common denominators. Two players exemplified our 11 wins seasons under CPJ. (1) D. Thomas; (2) D. Smelter
Both of them blocked extremely well downfield; they both provided a deep passing threat that cost opposing teams dearly if/when they sold out to the run; they did not require a OB with great passing skills or a line that could provide excellent pass protection; they were tough enough to stay healthy for most games.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Look for the common denominators. Two players exemplified our 11 wins seasons under CPJ. (1) D. Thomas; (2) D. Smelter
Both of them blocked extremely well downfield; they both provided a deep passing threat that cost opposing teams dearly if/when they sold out to the run; they did not require a OB with great passing skills or a line that could provide excellent pass protection; they were tough enough to stay healthy for most games.
I agree with this, except getting hurt is not a reflection on ones toughness.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coaching changes? I dunno. I guess I hope not. I think the benefits of continuity, especially in recruiting, outweigh the possibility of finding somebody better for our system. How deep is that pool of coaches anyway? I think CPJ is a good football mind and a good practice coach. I get that sense even though I have never watched him coach a practice other than a scrimmage. My guess is that he is pretty hands on and knows very well what his coaches are doing, especially on offense. If he wants his guys to stay, then they should stay regardless of what any of us think. If he thinks he can do better with someone else, he has already shown the willingness to make a change.

Maybe I am just way more sympathetic because I have been through it myself before. Some years (or games) my kids made me look like a hall of fame coach and some years they made me look like a farging idiot. Pretty much every season I tweaked what I was doing somewhat, but I was never drastically different, at least not as different as the results were.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the continuity comment, hopefully this season was a fluke of bad circumstances and the silver lining is some young guys getting some reps.
But, I watched two D1 TO teams play the last two weeks, New Mexico and Air Force, and they both have viable passing attacks.
When we pass .... Keystone Kops come to mind here.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
As most of the board knows already Navy and The Citadel run clone offenses of Georgia Tech But I welcome everyone to re watch the Citadel's win over USC this past Sat; I know USC stinks also but that aside The Citadel runs this offense so crisply and efficient, And Yes there is not a single CPJ former coach on their staff; If CPJ does plan on any staff change He should seriously consider them, Also having no staff member ever being a former disciple of CPJ maybe they coach or teach a better technique of the offense that we can learn from.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Cook hadn't worked with CPJ prior to joining the staff.

It's not all on the O either. GT is bad on D & ST.
There's no magic wand CPJ just has to get his team healthy & coach better. Let me also add he and his staff are going to have to recruit with their hair on fire.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As most of the board knows already Navy and The Citadel run clone offenses of Georgia Tech But I welcome everyone to re watch the Citadel's win over USC this past Sat; I know USC stinks also but that aside The Citadel runs this offense so crisply and efficient, And Yes there is not a single CPJ former coach on their staff; If CPJ does plan on any staff change He should seriously consider them, Also having no staff member ever being a former disciple of CPJ maybe they coach or teach a better technique of the offense that we can learn from.
I know a couple of high schools that run it. None of those coaches ever worked for Johnson. But the entire staff of both schools attend his coaching clinics every summer without fail. But I can agree with the dangers of incest, but all coaches everywhere are guilty of it, football-speaking. A guy coaches for a living wants friends around him.