Coaching changes?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think winning trumps academics but it does seem like the GT administration needs to make some changes to put us in a better position to recruit 4 and 5 star players. The obvious things are add more majors but I hear the board of regents which is controlled by dwags will not let this happen I have no idea if this is true. The other hurdle I hear a lot about in recruiting is the calculus requirement..... Is there anyway to drop this requirement? Virginia is a really good academic school and they are able to recruit 4 and 5 star guys so is Stanford and many others. I would love to see what CPJ could do with a team that had 8 or 9 4 star recruits and a couple 5 star guys. GT has never had one 5 star recruit Alabama has 18 on there roster right now and the dwags have 8 we need to do something to close that gap.
Restaurant chains spend millions of dollars in market studies every year with one goal in mind: where to place their next restaurant. Not only which town or state, but where in those towns exactly. The point being that unless one is willing to add the liberal arts program in all its manifestations -- Virginia, Stanford being wonderful examples, Georgia even -- to give recruits this huge selection of career paths and academic majors, it won't work at all. Add five? Six? What? Adding a Chinese restaurant won't get it if the partial answer is Texas Steakhouse, or Olive Garden, or whatever qualifies. GT is not going there, with or without the board of regents. And stop and think: assuming they suddenly agreed that by golly this was the way of the future -- though up in my part of the country, NC, they apparently have decided education pretty much is elitist and what kids really need to know is how to fix a fuel injector, whether they want to or not -- how long do you think it would take? Ten years? Twenty years? It would be a massive undertaking.

I'd like to see Johnson with those recruits myself. He's just not going to get them at Tech. (And the current AD, Bobinski, sounded like the village idiot when upon being hired he said the academics should not affect recruiting. Sounded like a man just out from under a manhole cover or the Ivy League.) So, nail things back together, coach 'em up, and compete with the big boys with what he has. I haven't heard him complain.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
The BOR has ALWAYS negated any attempts by Tech to add additional majors. This dates all the way back to the 30s when they STOLE the School of Commerce from Tech, eventually creating Georgia State, because they feared it would give Tech an advantage in recruiting quality athletes. This is nothing new, and it is not likely to change....EVER.
Interesting...Tech had a School of commerce?

...I will look that one up...I am embraced not to have known that...

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Restaurant chains spend millions of dollars in market studies every year with one goal in mind: where to place their next restaurant. Not only which town or state, but where in those towns exactly. The point being that unless one is willing to add the liberal arts program in all its manifestations -- Virginia, Stanford being wonderful examples, Georgia even -- to give recruits this huge selection of career paths and academic majors, it won't work at all. Add five? Six? What? Adding a Chinese restaurant won't get it if the partial answer is Texas Steakhouse, or Olive Garden, or whatever qualifies. GT is not going there, with or without the board of regents. And stop and think: assuming they suddenly agreed that by golly this was the way of the future -- though up in my part of the country, NC, they apparently have decided education pretty much is elitist and what kids really need to know is how to fix a fuel injector, whether they want to or not -- how long do you think it would take? Ten years? Twenty years? It would be a massive undertaking.

I'd like to see Johnson with those recruits myself. He's just not going to get them at Tech. (And the current AD, Bobinski, sounded like the village idiot when upon being hired he said the academics should not affect recruiting. Sounded like a man just out from under a manhole cover or the Ivy League.) So, nail things back together, coach 'em up, and compete with the big boys with what he has. I haven't heard him complain.
I haven't heard PJ complain either but I have heard him take subtle shots at the GT administration. For instance when he was asked about his time at GA Southern he said something like they " get it" and are committed to doing what it takes to win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't heard PJ complain either but I have heard him take subtle shots at the GT administration. For instance when he was asked about his time at GA Southern he said something like they " get it" and are committed to doing what it takes to win.

We are only committed to win if it doesn't affect academic reputation.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket just curious, how do you feel about Dino Barbers as your new head football coach? You know some new passing records are going to be set while he's there

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
I must be missing something. Years ago I could understand GT not having a lot of money to invest in sports. But every game is on TV and we get conference money also. We should be able to afford the coaches we need to win. I don't think money is a very good excuse anymore. You mean to tell me that all these other schools like Miami and NC and Clumpson has more resources than us. I just don't see it. So what is the real reason?

I must be missing something. Years ago I could understand GT not having a lot of money to invest in sports. But every game is on TV and we get conference money also. We should be able to afford the coaches we need to win. I don't think money is a very good excuse anymore. You mean to tell me that all these other schools like Miami and NC and Clumpson has more resources than us. I just don't see it. So what is the real reason?
Don't know about Miami, but Clemson and UNC both have much larger fan and alumni bases, so of course they have more money.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@CuseJacket just curious, how do you feel about Dino Barbers as your new head football coach? You know some new passing records are going to be set while he's there
Net happy, but admittedly I haven't watched a minute of Bowling Green football. Probably the best resume out there considering Syracuse's position in the pecking order. Love that he has successful head coaching experience.

Biggest concern is recruiting the northeast. 'Cuse needs to may hay up there because they're not pulling talent consistently from elsewhere.

Reports were that Scott Frost was the #1 candidate. The current Orange AD came from Boise where Frost was a candidate for the BSU opening at one point. Really wouldn't have liked the hire due to the lack of HC experience and familiarity recruiting the NE.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
A comment on several of the above.:
1. It is true that the BOR removed the Commerce school from GT and it became Georgia State. It was done to keep us from having a better football program than Ugag. I have 19 books dealing with GT sports, and it is in Dress Her in White and Gold, and maybe in Clean Old Fashion Hate.
2. In the early 50s, Tech was one of the wealthiest programs in the nation. It was the first to be on TV, or color TV. It went to 6 straight major bowls. Then, Ed Harrison and the academic fanatics added calculas to the degree requirements for all students. I took one calculas course in the 1061-65 era. A year behind me, all were required to take two courses. That made a bug difference in who we could recruit at that time. Then the damn pros came in and stole our fan base. Yes, you could not get a ticket to Tech football until then. The SEC exit also factored in.
3. In the late 40s and 50s, kids wanted to play for Tech because it prepared them for a better life. We were coming out of WWII, and Korea and kids wanted to get a good job. A degree from GT paid more than the pro sports teams did at that time. Now the demographics have changed and kids want to get to the League and don't want to study, for the most part. We only get those that will study.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Because you can actually be a retard and play football there. Sorry for the non pc vocab.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A comment on several of the above.:
1. It is true that the BOR removed the Commerce school from GT and it became Georgia State. It was done to keep us from having a better football program than Ugag. I have 19 books dealing with GT sports, and it is in Dress Her in White and Gold, and maybe in Clean Old Fashion Hate.
2. In the early 50s, Tech was one of the wealthiest programs in the nation. It was the first to be on TV, or color TV. It went to 6 straight major bowls. Then, Ed Harrison and the academic fanatics added calculas to the degree requirements for all students. I took one calculas course in the 1061-65 era. A year behind me, all were required to take two courses. That made a bug difference in who we could recruit at that time. Then the damn pros came in and stole our fan base. Yes, you could not get a ticket to Tech football until then. The SEC exit also factored in.
3. In the late 40s and 50s, kids wanted to play for Tech because it prepared them for a better life. We were coming out of WWII, and Korea and kids wanted to get a good job. A degree from GT paid more than the pro sports teams did at that time. Now the demographics have changed and kids want to get to the League and don't want to study, for the most part. We only get those that will study.
Hard truths and realities of what we faced and still do. Many want to put their heads in the sand and turn a blind eye to it. Fact is, these hurdles exist and GT has to work twice as hard, be twice as creative and spend twice as much money if we want to compete with the big boys (other than once in a blue moon like last year). Of that, I am convinced.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Arggh.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
You don't get it. The fact is that football has to support all of our women's and men's sports, except for men's basketball. To go with that, most of our Alums give to the Alumni Assn and GT Foundation. They don't support the Athletic Association like I wish they would. The Alumni Assoc and Foundation support the school. hope Having a small and stingy fan base does not help either. I wish more of our base would designate their contributions for the Athletic Association.
Everyone gets the TV money, but the others have larger and more sports oriented fan bases. Do you think that the foreign students who make up 25% of our student body will ever donate to our sports programs? Or the nerdy type students who don't follow sports?

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Better coaches produce more wins. More wins produce a bigger fan base. A bigger fan base produces more money. So not getting the better coaches means we are willing to settle for average and ordinary. That is not a good formula for success. Do we want to be successful or not. We need to make up our minds here. I know academics comes first, and that is what makes us one of the top colleges in America. But we also play division 1 football ball and we should have the same expectations as academics. Average and ordinary isn't who Tech is. One God season every 2 or 3 years does not produce a bigger fan base.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Better coaches produce more wins. More wins produce a bigger fan base. A bigger fan base produces more money. So not getting the better coaches means we are willing to settle for average and ordinary. That is not a good formula for success. Do we want to be successful or not. We need to make up our minds here. I know academics comes first, and that is what makes us one of the top colleges in America. But we also play division 1 football ball and we should have the same expectations as academics. Average and ordinary isn't who Tech is. One God season every 2 or 3 years does not produce a bigger fan base.
If you really think another coach will recruit lights out with 4 and 5-stars, you are on something you need to get off of. The only chance GT has is a coach who can coach up the 3-stars and occasional 2-star.Or better, identify them much better than other coaches who pass them by. (I love your formula for argument's sake, but did you actually get away with that in class?