Coaching changes?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
CPJ or his system are not the reason we have had a bad year! CPJ will have the offense fixed by next fall. If there is a problem that may not be fixed it is the defense. Someone needs to get Roof out of this passive style defense, and go to a high pressure, hair on fire, system. Something close to what he learned under Don Lindsey, not GOL's system which only works with superior personnel.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In all of D1 there are 6 players who " have left the team" & 2 are at gt. 2 young men who ARE seniors have PLAYED AND STARTED for this staff as late as THIS SEASON decided to leave.

With their playing time one would think that if a good environment existed, they would not drag up with 3 games to go.

Friend asked me why they quit this late?

I answer per this board = impact of bad recruiting years, youth movement, troubled players, bad season, lack of senior leadership, and good coaching. The last one gets a look of wtf.
I tell them it's just a SEASON FROM HELL but to stay tuned in .
Significant off season attrition (quiting, transfering )combined with a significant recruiting decommiment level will make me nervous.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Do you have any eligibility left? Maybe you are a better punter? These are college aged kids trying their hardest, not paid professionals.

While not anywhere near the same level of a professional there are still expectations at this level and he hasn't met them. These guys absolutely get a ton of credit for working their asses off but that doesn't give them a free pass for poor performance. Rodwell's been terrible this year. I'm sure he's not ignorant to that fact either. We're allowed to point that out. Nobody's trying to run him out of town, advocate his scholarship taken away, or discount his effort.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
CPJ or his system are not the reason we have had a bad year! CPJ will have the offense fixed by next fall. If there is a problem that may not be fixed it is the defense. Someone needs to get Roof out of this passive style defense, and go to a high pressure, hair on fire, system. Something close to what he learned under Don Lindsey, not GOL's system which only works with superior personnel.

I completely agree that we need to be more aggressive. Unfortunately, I think CPJ has a lot to do with is being so passive. He's even said as much throughout the year in press conferences, mentioning that he didn't mind being more aggressive last year when the offense was so good.

I just don't get it though. The aggression in defense last year is part of why we were so much better in the second half of the season. We may have actually won a few more this year wth a bit more aggression.

I understand that sometimes you have to be conservative, but I think this should be the exception rather than the rule.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I completely agree that we need to be more aggressive. Unfortunately, I think CPJ has a lot to do with is being so passive. He's even said as much throughout the year in press conferences, mentioning that he didn't mind being more aggressive last year when the offense was so good.

I just don't get it though. The aggression in defense last year is part of why we were so much better in the second half of the season. We may have actually won a few more this year wth a bit more aggression.

I understand that sometimes you have to be conservative, but I think this should be the exception rather than the rule.
A good example of where not being aggressive on defense can cost you a game is Uga in 2013. It was 4th and 6 and roof dropped attouchu back in coverage if he would of sent him on a blitz I think that he would of sacked Mason or forced a bad throw. I still have not forgiven Roof for that....one bad call may be the reason we are not shooting for 3 in a row this year against the dwags.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Coaching changes? I dunno. I guess I hope not. I think the benefits of continuity, especially in recruiting, outweigh the possibility of finding somebody better for our system. How deep is that pool of coaches anyway? I think CPJ is a good football mind and a good practice coach. I get that sense even though I have never watched him coach a practice other than a scrimmage. My guess is that he is pretty hands on and knows very well what his coaches are doing, especially on offense. If he wants his guys to stay, then they should stay regardless of what any of us think. If he thinks he can do better with someone else, he has already shown the willingness to make a change.

Maybe I am just way more sympathetic because I have been through it myself before. Some years (or games) my kids made me look like a hall of fame coach and some years they made me look like a farging idiot. Pretty much every season I tweaked what I was doing somewhat, but I was never drastically different, at least not as different as the results were.

I agree totally with this assessment. Continuity in recruiting is vital for football. Basketball? Not so much. Besides, the talent pool for coaching is going to be pretty shallow this year with USC, South Carolina, Miami and possibly LSU getting in the deep end. Not a good year to go shopping. Let's stay put and see what happens down the line.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I agree totally with this assessment. Continuity in recruiting is vital for football. Basketball? Not so much. Besides, the talent pool for coaching is going to be pretty shallow this year with USC, South Carolina, Miami and possibly LSU getting in the deep end. Not a good year to go shopping. Let's stay put and see what happens down the line.

Missou, UCF, North Texas are just 3 off the top of my head that are also competing for talent level we could afford.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Missou, UCF, North Texas are just 3 off the top of my head that are also competing for talent level we could afford.
First, ain't nobody going nowhere for at least another season, and shouldn't. So all this talk is beer bar stuff, in which everybody's opinion has the same value: nothing. So as my contribution to spitting into the wind, this: a new coach and a new offense is not going to change diddly. More likely -- and I acknowledge liking the coach and the offense, so take it for what it's worth -- it will make things worse. Maybe much worse. Another coach will have zero impact, zilch, on recruiting. GT's difficulties have been -- at least in my view -- well documented and I think not arguable. Get any coach you can afford and it will have no impact on the curriculum, and that is not changing, and any coach you get better be real good at coaching up if he is to compete.

Nor do I argue it should, but then I didn't attend the joint so what do I know? The players we, meaning Johnson et al, are getting is what we will get at best because 4s and 5s would have to be nuts to pick GT and engineering and calculus and physics and technology and whatever, when what they want is the NFL and then maybe a teaching, coaching, sales, whatever, job. Building roads and bridges and even spaceships, not so much. (I know an honors graduate at NC State, civil engineering, who woke up one morning and decided he would not spend the rest of his life answering 3 a.m. phone calls about traffic lights not working, and joined the FBI. He is happier and our intersections safer. Win-win.)

I might give you an exception on Missouri on your list, though given the situation there right now probably not. Let that simmer a couple of years. But do you really want to hire a coach who was torn between GT and ... North Texas?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cook hadn't worked with CPJ prior to joining the staff.

It's not all on the O either. GT is bad on D & ST.
There's no magic wand CPJ just has to get his team healthy & coach better. Let me also add he and his staff are going to have to recruit with their hair on fire.

Actually, we are middle of the pack on D (60th) and ST (53rd) and closer to the bottom on O (72nd) efficiency. Overall we are ranked 62nd in team efficiency, which indicates we are a mid tier team this year.

Now, if people would quit hyperventilating and look past the W/L record, they would probably agree with that assessment. We beat our cupcakes handily. (Hello SC, Arkansas, FLA, uga and Auburn and fellow SEC powerhouses...) We were competitive in all but one game. (1-5 record in one possession games) Clemson. We took down a top 10 team. Do we have issues? Sure we do, but the sky isn't falling. This year has seen a lot of misfortune added to an already young team, and it led to the train wreck of a season we have witnessed. If people don't see this as a statistical outlier, then they were probably biased to begin with.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
While not anywhere near the same level of a professional there are still expectations at this level and he hasn't met them. These guys absolutely get a ton of credit for working their asses off but that doesn't give them a free pass for poor performance. Rodwell's been terrible this year. I'm sure he's not ignorant to that fact either. We're allowed to point that out. Nobody's trying to run him out of town, advocate his scholarship taken away, or discount his effort.

Yes. You are allowed to point out anything you feel like. Doesn't mean you should.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Coaching changes? I dunno. I guess I hope not. I think the benefits of continuity, especially in recruiting, outweigh the possibility of finding somebody better for our system. How deep is that pool of coaches anyway? I think CPJ is a good football mind and a good practice coach. I get that sense even though I have never watched him coach a practice other than a scrimmage. My guess is that he is pretty hands on and knows very well what his coaches are doing, especially on offense. If he wants his guys to stay, then they should stay regardless of what any of us think. If he thinks he can do better with someone else, he has already shown the willingness to make a change.

Maybe I am just way more sympathetic because I have been through it myself before. Some years (or games) my kids made me look like a hall of fame coach and some years they made me look like a farging idiot. Pretty much every season I tweaked what I was doing somewhat, but I was never drastically different, at least not as different as the results were.

I agree. One year I thought I had plenty of talent (9 players were coach's kids and they all thought they should be the QB). The year was a disaster as nothing seemed to work and we compounded mistakes and poor play with more of the same. I had another team that was so untalented that we failed to score in the first three games in regulation. Then we went on a 10 game win streak never allowing more than 13 points and were underdogs in virtually every game. This group played as a team. I don't think I coached the two teams any different. That's football played with an egg shaped ball that has the unpredictable bounce.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, we are middle of the pack on D (60th) and ST (53rd) and closer to the bottom on O (72nd) efficiency. Overall we are ranked 62nd in team efficiency, which indicates we are a mid tier team this year.

Now, if people would quit hyperventilating and look past the W/L record, they would probably agree with that assessment. We beat our cupcakes handily. (Hello SC, Arkansas, FLA, uga and Auburn and fellow SEC powerhouses...) We were competitive in all but one game. (1-5 record in one possession games) Clemson. We took down a top 10 team. Do we have issues? Sure we do, but the sky isn't falling. This year has seen a lot of misfortune added to an already young team, and it led to the train wreck of a season we have witnessed. If people don't see this as a statistical outlier, then they were probably biased to begin with.
A fair and succinct summary of the 2015 season...It is still frustrating and an occasional vent cannot be helped...

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson will be the head football coach at GT through the 2020 season. And he hires all the assistant coaches and recruiters.
What he doesn't do is decide how much money the football program can spend and what academic majors he can offer recruits.
We are who we are.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He suggest to look past the only stat of significance.

To me, the only stat of significance is Graduation Rate. We are winning in that regard. I can not and will not get overly worked up because a young team starting a ton of freshmen and dealing with unprecedented injury levels loses a bunch of very close games. I will still be in my seats this Saturday and every following Saturday that GT plays a home game...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
To me, the only stat of significance is Graduation Rate. We are winning in that regard. I can not and will not get overly worked up because a young team starting a ton of freshmen and dealing with unprecedented injury levels loses a bunch of very close games. I will still be in my seats this Saturday and every following Saturday that GT plays a home game...

Do away with the program and play intramural.
Are we gonna be serious?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do away with the program and play intramural.
Are we gonna be serious?

Yes. Let's be serious. This isn't the NFL, where professional athletes are paid to provide expected results. It's college football. Emphasis on college. These kids have to fit their study time in around their football workload and balance demands very few of us ever see in college. Outside of NCAA athletes, the Service academies are the only schools that have anywhere near this level of rigor. I went to a service academy. My classmates there played football knowing there were more important things in life. Yet they still enjoyed competing, even knowing that, because we couldn't afford the same amounts of practice, or recruit the same caliber of players, we would likely lose more often than we won. They would have laughed at you for suggesting intramural.

There are professional teams you can follow if winning is all that matters to you. Unlike college, the NFL has a level playing field with salary caps and high draft picks pegged to your lack of success on the field. We don't play on a level playing field in the NCAA. We probably never will. If winning trumps academics then you have lost perspective on the purpose of NCAA athletics. Sadly, I think this is becoming more common.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think winning trumps academics but it does seem like the GT administration needs to make some changes to put us in a better position to recruit 4 and 5 star players. The obvious things are add more majors but I hear the board of regents which is controlled by dwags will not let this happen I have no idea if this is true. The other hurdle I hear a lot about in recruiting is the calculus requirement..... Is there anyway to drop this requirement? Virginia is a really good academic school and they are able to recruit 4 and 5 star guys so is Stanford and many others. I would love to see what CPJ could do with a team that had 8 or 9 4 star recruits and a couple 5 star guys. GT has never had one 5 star recruit Alabama has 18 on there roster right now and the dwags have 8 we need to do something to close that gap.