Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Wake fans seem to believe they are going to find out about Manning this afternoon.

If they don't I think their heads might explode.
If they do and it's that he is staying I think what's left of their basketball fanbase may be headed with pitchforks to the AD's house.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA final four has always seemed to spark coaching changes. Good way to feel out candidate interest without being too obvious. Not this year.

slugboy

Staff member
FWIW, Wake fans seem to believe they are going to find out about Manning this afternoon.

If they don't I think their heads might explode.
If they do and it's that he is staying I think what's left of their basketball fanbase may be headed with pitchforks to the AD's house.

I think their heads are going to explode :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So here is the question of the day. Will any Power 6 coaches be fired this offseason?

We are multiple weeks removed from the regular season and so far not one has been fired. A couple have been announced as coming back (Pitino at MN, Brownell at Clemson - though I think he has to make the NCAA next season). And if any are fired, I wonder how long AD's will take before making a move. it sort of feels like everything is frozen in place until there is some sense of how much worse or better the current situation is going to get, and frankly how much money are schools going to have.

Right now AD's literally don't know what they can count on for season ticket sales, they don't know yet if they will have college football and/or basketball seasons. I suspect most AD's are going to be very conservative right now and think really hard before making any changes.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be floored if there are any firings at this point. Both for buyouts and inability to run a hiring process the way they would want to.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be floored if there are any firings at this point. Both for buyouts and inability to run a hiring process the way they would want to.
I also simply think the changes to the financial situation make it unlikely.

Right now there isn't an AD in this country that has any idea of what the financial impact of this crisis is going to be, other than it will be negative - just how negative is the question, and if you were hoping to use 'big donors' to help with the financials, they may no longer be in the position to help that they could have been claiming to support 2 weeks ago.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - that's what I meant by buyouts. The financial situation to absorb a buyout which you put in a lot more and better detail.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just sharing 'cause I find it interesting from afar ....

https://hoopdirt.com/report-portland-to-retain-terry-porter/

In his four seasons as the head coach at Portland, Porter has put together a 37-92 (.287) record, including a 9-23 (1-15 WCC) mark this past year. During Porter’s tenure, Portland has gone 7-61 in WCC play, with a 1-31 conference record over the past two seasons.

And to top it off, his starting guard just grad-transferred out. Did I mention that starting guard is his son?

Yikes with a capital Y. Porter has never been a good HC, including his failed tenure at the NBA level. I have no idea how he got this job in the first place.

ETA: Almost left out the most important part *ahem* ... I mean, that 1-31 conference record for the last 2 years is Tom Crean-level bad ...

supa-hot-fire.gif

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hahah, "sorry dad, I'm outtie."

Brutal

And to top it off, his starting guard just grad-transferred out. Did I mention that starting guard is his son?

Yikes with a capital Y. Porter has never been a good HC, including his failed tenure at the NBA level. I have no idea how he got this job in the first place.

ETA: Almost left out the most important part *ahem* ... I mean, that 1-31 conference record for the last 2 years is Tom Crean-level bad ...

supa-hot-fire.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, there was a good article on CBSSports yesterday on the slow coaching changes.

It had interesting perspectives from both sides. The AD side I had thought about. Not being able to meet in person, maybe not having the funds anymore.
But I hadn't thought much about it from the coaches side which was talked about as well. Mentioned that right now alot of coaches aren't even willing to look at a new job. Things are just too unsettled right now. Many of them don't want to think about having to uproot their families and move to a new location with what is happening in the world right now.

So even if a school has the funds to go after a new coach, there may not be many coaches willing to interview or think about moving.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

supa-hot-fire.gif
Wasn't Reveno head coach at Portland? If so, was Porter his replacement?