Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

slugboy

Staff member
FWIW, the Wake board is getting really nervous that Manning might not get fired. if Wake doesn't fire him soon I think they might lose their minds.

Most of the Wake people I know are nice and patient. But even they are getting frazzled.

You would think he was an alum, or even went to high school in the area, but he’s Kansas raised and educated. I don’t understand how he ended up at Wake as kind of a favorite son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most of the Wake people I know are nice and patient. But even they are getting frazzled.

You would think he was an alum, or even went to high school in the area, but he’s Kansas raised and educated. I don’t understand how he ended up at Wake as kind of a favorite son

Isn't Manning from the Piedmont area of North Carolina?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Manning was born and raised and played HS ball in Greensboro a few miles from Winston-Salem They moved to Larence for his senior year when his father Ed was hired as an assistant coach at KU. He had been a long distance truck driver before his ascendancy to the bench next to Larry Brown

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of Course Wake fans are also convinced that once he is fired they are hiring either Beilein or Matta.
Maybe they can truly pull that off and my hat will be off to them if they do, but potentially having to pay off the rest of Manning's contract (which is anywhere from $12.5-15M depending upon what figure you believe for his yearly salary) and then hiring someone of that caliber - that is going to be an enormous amount of money.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of Course Wake fans are also convinced that once he is fired they are hiring either Beilein or Matta.
Maybe they can truly pull that off and my hat will be off to them if they do, but potentially having to pay off the rest of Manning's contract (which is anywhere from $12.5-15M depending upon what figure you believe for his yearly salary) and then hiring someone of that caliber - that is going to be an enormous amount of money.

Matta's back is totally ****ed up, but his contract is finally up.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I probably wouldn't fire Manning right now. My big donors just got their *** handed to them in the market and I am not sure I can even have a new candidate fly into Winston Salem to interview (local guys notwithstanding). While the guys on the Wake sports board may well be (rightly) pissed, no one in the general Wake fan base is going to give me **** if I keep Manning while the campus is closed and no one knows whether they can write a check for the buyout much less the next coach.

slugboy

Staff member
Yes. Manning was born and raised and played HS ball in Greensboro a few miles from Winston-Salem They moved to Larence for his senior year when his father Ed was hired as an assistant coach at KU. He had been a long distance truck driver before his ascendancy to the bench next to Larry Brown

Thanks—his bio has a little about Page high school in it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Manning
I just saw a lot more Kansas

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW I probably wouldn't fire Manning right now. My big donors just got their *** handed to them in the market and I am not sure I can even have a new candidate fly into Winston Salem to interview (local guys notwithstanding). While the guys on the Wake sports board may well be (rightly) pissed, no one in the general Wake fan base is going to give me **** if I keep Manning while the campus is closed and no one knows whether they can write a check for the buyout much less the next coach.

Or, we find out who shorted the market ;)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not the best coach but the drew$ are known for their recruiting Ang GC is known for his much money they have 2 spend on bb.

I believe GC thought they were going to get Pitino and then he went to Iona instead. I think this shows hiring a new coach is going to be difficult this spring. Just too much volatility in life right now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Manning is supposed to be on local Atlanta sports talk radio tomorrow morning (92.9). Wake fans are already worried this means he is going to be retained.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Will Public Universities instituting hiring freezes during the crisis save coaches jobs

I do not know if contracting with a new head coach is really subject to normal university hiring policy. But, I can see why they might want to wait see what follows from the current restrictions. I think the upside to waiting is the possibility that we may not have a 2020 football season. What I heard yesterday from the President's news conference is that public health people are trying to lengthen the coronavirus infection curve. If successful, that will almost certainly extend into the fall.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Northern Arizona probably looking for a coach too. Just have their interim guy right now iiuc.

Just ... puttin' it out there for no obvious reason. ;)