Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess Charlton Young's britches are too big for GSouthern since he's apparently decided to wait for Hamilton to keel over .. I mean retire down in Tally.

Young has already been the HC there once and had a 34% winning percentage. I'll be surprised if Young is the HC at FSU once Hamilton retires. Rumors there have always centered more around Andy Enfield.

I expect White to do about as well as Young if that is who they hire.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Young has already been the HC there once and had a 34% winning percentage. I'll be surprised if Young is the HC at FSU once Hamilton retires. Rumors there have always centered more around Andy Enfield.

Yeah, he seems to be the equivalent of a 4-A baseball player

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, not sure why I totally forgot about that. I blame teleworking for knocking me off my game.

Yeah, he seems to be the equivalent of a 4-A baseball player

I get that sense. But would GaSouth be small enough a step up for him to still do well(ish)?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, not sure why I totally forgot about that. I blame teleworking for knocking me off my game.

I get that sense. But would GaSouth be small enough a step up for him to still do well(ish)?

My belief is the answer to that is no. He lasted less than 2 years as an asst at GA St and went back to HS coaching.
i would expect the same results or worse than Young's at Southern.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thoughts on GASouthern's coaching hire?

I think they did good for themselves. If the guy's picked up anything from Beard, he'll do well there. I've seen at least one place that's called him a good recruiter too.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The coaching carousel in 1 or 2 years is going to be insane. May be more like 2 years if athletic budgets are hit hard enough. But with no P6 coaching changes at all, at some point there is going to be a year where there is a huge turnover of coaches and schools fighting over the pool of candidates.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The coaching carousel in 1 or 2 years is going to be insane. May be more like 2 years if athletic budgets are hit hard enough. But with no P6 coaching changes at all, at some point there is going to be a year where there is a huge turnover of coaches and schools fighting over the pool of candidates.

Red, I've got a friend who heads an executive search firm focused on sports (football, basketball, ADs, etc.). You would know the name if I said it. He told me the other night that they are getting crushed right now. No activity to speak of as compared to what would typically be taking place. May have to lay off some staff. Tough times for everyone unfortunately.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's be really funny watching everyone **** their pants in frustration if we extend Pastner with a trade-off at a lower salary or something like that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Leitao extension has been rumored ever since COVID19 broke out. Going from getting fired to being extended, not bad.

I'll be honest, it may be multiple years before there is any serious coaching carousel again. I don't think 2021 is likely to have much of a turover because AA's aren't going to have enough revenue to change coaches. Maybe by 2022 if revenue's for AA's have improved by then.

If an AD loses 30% of their revenue and is trying their best not to cut out sports programs - how are they ever going to justify firing a coach, paying his/her buyout, and hiring a new coach.
Pretty much any new coach would have to be hired at a lower salary and buyout.

Heck, if any of the football or basketball seasons are cut short or don't happen GT's best bet may be to give Pastner an extension at his current rate (which is well below the median for the ACC), just as long as you don't do anything silly with the buyout (of which i think coaches may have a more difficult time getting huge buyouts as AD's have to deal with shrunken revenue).

in the survey I linked in a different thread the AD's (110 responded) made it clear they have to find ways to reduce coaching contracts and reduce buyouts because they expect to have less revenue.

With the University System of Georgia announcing this afternoon that Summer sessions will be remote and they hope to have students on campus in the fall if health conditions permit it, that means there will likely be no on campus recruiting this summer, no summer camps (which will be a loss of revenue), i believe GT had 2 concerts set up - good chance those don't happen.

And even if we manage to get full football and basketball seasons in, does anyone believe revenue won't be down. FB attendence has dropped for like 10 straight years nationally, and I suspect it is going to drop even more this year. I can't imagine many older alum/fans attending games this year.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
And even if we manage to get full football and basketball seasons in, does anyone believe revenue won't be down. FB attendence has dropped for like 10 straight years nationally, and I suspect it is going to drop even more this year. I can't imagine many older alum/fans attending games this year.

If that's the case then GT attendance is going to be UGLY given how large of a percentage of our fanbase is the older crowd.