Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

slugboy

Staff member
Hey Brownlow was all in with her Paul Johnson love affair so it isn't about Tech. And she has been really consistent and vocal about her Pastner feelings. I heard her a couple of times about that State loss and she actually was pretty funny.

She’s primarily a Carolina area fan, but I like the way she covers basketball and wish we had someone down here who covered it as well as they do.
I didn’t see it as “hating on Tech”. I saw it as “they can do so much better”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
As a human being ... I feel bad for CJP, he's had a lot of bad luck with injuries, illnesses, defections, etc and I believe the whole Ron Bell episode really took a lot out of him.
As a GT Basketball fan ... something needs to change !

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Watching the Auburn-NC St. game last night, you could feel the electricity through the screen. Bruce Pearl(warts and all)has the Tigers without a lake, totally relevant. It’s not a Final 4 and we are done kind of program. No excuses, he simply built them up.
The type of excitement we deserve in the 404!

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
The last two games have simply been unwatchable. It is sad how low the program has sunk.
What confuses me is that first year we had some shocking wins.....UNC and FSU both were beat downs at home by us.....now we can’t compete with a mid level MAC team at home.

They were CBG recruits and those guys were decent fundamentally....not great players but knew how to play as a team. The team has gone down the crapper since then.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
We have over 80 million pledged in our 2020 initiative. It isn't going to do us any good to build a new Edge building if our BB program is a joke. Fire him for cause, take your chances in court, then use the money to go get a Collins to coach bball. Actually I love the idea of giving Pastner's salary to Nell to coach both teams. If this season continues on this track, Tech Bball may not recover.

Basketball can always recover due to the numbers. All you need are 2 really good recruiting classes (which includes guards), a decent strategy and you can win.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Basketball can always recover due to the numbers. All you need are 2 really good recruiting classes (which includes guards), a decent strategy and you can win.

I’m just glad we’re getting new offices for the AA. Imagine recruits, touring ... “Here’s the AD’s 4,000 sf office. Pretty sweet, right? Let’s go see the vending machines ...”

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the Auburn-NC St. game last night, you could feel the electricity through the screen. Bruce Pearl(warts and all)has the Tigers without a lake, totally relevant. It’s not a Final 4 and we are done kind of program. No excuses, he simply built them up.
The type of excitement we deserve in the 404!

But GT could never touch Pearl because he carried such bad baggage. Give me a break. What we'd do now to have Pearl as our HC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But GT could never touch Pearl because he carried such bad baggage. Give me a break. What we'd do now to have Pearl as our HC.

Bad baggage? I am aware of the “recruiting violation” at Tennessee. Bogus. What else did he do? He’s loved at Auburn, I’ve met him and had him to my home. I think he’s a class act.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Bad baggage? I am aware of the “recruiting violation” at Tennessee. Bogus. What else did he do? He’s loved at Auburn, I’ve met him and had him to my home. I think he’s a class act.

My point exactly. It was penny ante stuff at the time but as they say hindsight is 20/20.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My point exactly. It was penny ante stuff at the time but as they say hindsight is 20/20.

True story. I’m at the airport in NY when I see Bobby Cremins. I say hello and he writes a name and a phone number on a piece of paper and gives it to me. “Call him and tell him how great it is to be at Tech.”

I turn to my colleague who frowns. “I can’t call him, can I?” “Not unless you want an NCAA investigation.”

Stuff happens.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To add to the doom and gloom that’s been contributed to this thread. It was made a point after the UGA loss that it wasn’t even an important game, and that there were 20 more important ones. I’d argue now that there’s only 1 game left in the season thats important... Morehouse. It may be the only other game this team has a chance to win unless it gets reinvigorated in Hawaii somehow. Of all the reasons to get rid of CJP, I think him losing the team is the biggest. Poor offensive strategy and missed shots can be overlooked as player failure, getting out-rebounded, routinely shooting 50-60% from the FT line, turning the ball over 24 times against a MAC team, that’s inexcusable and a lack of discipline and effort.

Some ranks of this CJP teams out of 350 D1 teams
Free throw % - 347th (57.6%)
Turnovers per game - 341st (17.4)
Rebound margin - 238th (-0.8 per game)
Assist to turnover ratio - 276th (0.82)
3 point % - 307th (29.1%)
Personal fouls per game - 266th (18.8)
It’s unacceptable to be in the bottom 1/3 (in some cases the bottom 1/6) in so many categories, many of them that rely on discipline.
... The Readers Digest version.. we suck!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Y'all can like Bruce Pearl all y'all want but you better also acknowledge he's a known cheater.

I'm on record that I don't much care about cheating anymore since the system is as broke as broke can be.

Just find it comical when anyone suggests the bbq at his house was "all" he did. As if he's some babe in the woods.

And he's a rat fink on top of it all.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Y'all can like Bruce Pearl all y'all want but you better also acknowledge he's a known cheater.

I'm on record that I don't much care about cheating anymore since the system is as broke as broke can be.

Just find it comical when anyone suggests the bbq at his house was "all" he did. As if he's some babe in the woods.

And he's a rat fink on top of it all.

I don’t know anymore than I know. I do know two of the kids who attended the BBQ. And it was pretty innocent. Is there more? Maybe there is. But the BBQ was pretty ridiculous if reporting accurately.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Haha. If my guy @Peacone36 is out of hiding, I'm still ready to fire up the peacKG search firm at a moment's notice.

im not in hiding, I just don’t share the party line that In order to be a “true fan” you need to accept unacceptable results simply due to monetary circumstance. I have no desire to ruin the GTSwarm experience for anyone and the way I go about things may not be the most tactful, but don’t ever question my fan hood or intentions. Once again, after seeing the Ball State game, I was correct but am somehow still an instigator. I’m over being made out to be a pessimist for simply telling the story as it is....

Enjoy....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t know anymore than I know. I do know two of the kids who attended the BBQ. And it was pretty innocent. Is there more? Maybe there is. But the BBQ was pretty ridiculous if reporting accurately.

I got no problem if you choose to put your head in the sand because of your personal relationships. But at least call it what it is.