Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Say it again for the folks in the back.

Folks need to be mindful of this. Timing matters because bad timing gets us another Grian Bregory. Folks saying 'fire him now' need to be careful what they wish for.

You could hire a Cliff Ellis today and make his mission to build the program. He did it successfully at South Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson. Yes, he’s old but proven. I’d take him in a heartbeat over Josh.

On a separate note, scuttlebutt inside the AA is that Josh is not committed to Tech and has always held out hope of coaching at Arizona. Might explain his lackluster attitude.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is a ramblin wreck of Ga Tech and a coach who does not belong. He made bad decisions and now should step forward to claim his responsibility for the wreck! And he DID NOT KNOW WHAT Lab and Jac were doing at the strip!!!! And where was Stans during all this crap?

TStan has said all of his time is being spent on football and basketball comes next. After football is fixed.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You could hire a Cliff Ellis today and make his mission to build the program. He did it successfully at South Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson. Yes, he’s old but proven. I’d take him in a heartbeat over Josh.

On a separate note, scuttlebutt inside the AA is that Josh is not committed to Tech and has always held out hope of coaching at Arizona. Might explain his lackluster attitude.

Cliff Ellis is, quite frankly, a ludicrous suggestion. He hasn't coached High Major in 15 years and he has a decent, at best, record at Coastal Carolina. I'm sure kids will clamor to play for a 74 year old low/mid major coaching retread.

If he held out hope of coaching at Arizona, typically considered a fringe blueblood at this point, wouldn't CJP be busting his *** to drive results? I think his hopes have evaporated, unless you mean as an assistant.

TStan has said all of his time is being spent on football and basketball comes next. After football is fixed.

This is an appropriate path. Football should have the foundation fully laid before we sink internal resources in to hoops. People don't want to accept or agree with this? They should start writing big checks allocated to men's hoops.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
The pregame puffed out chest boasts about the Ball State game being a blowout, and "betting Christmas" on Tech -5.5 (hope the kids and family are OK with coal in the stockings) were very entertaining to read this morning during my pre-holiday trip to visit friends and relatives up in the Great Lakes area.

I would argue a college fan is most rabid during their student days on campus... I was challenged to have to rabidly support the teams under "Bless you, brother" Dwayne Morrison so those days were much darker than recent, but Pastner is "achieving" that level now. We're stuck with him. His buyout is too much after Stansbury extended Pastner's contract. Plus, as mentioned here, no self-respecting coach would come here to build a resume with years under the heavy shroud of probation that Paster has woven for Tech. Pastner should have to be the guy who has to stew in the warm sewage he has created of the Tech program until just before that "Retention bonus" comes due towards the end of the 21-22 season. The rest of this putrid season plus two more years of abject suck before we can be rid of him, on Stansbury's watch. Stnansbury should have made a move when "for cause" was in play when the probation results were announced.

As for Pastner pining for the Arizona job, they wouldn't hire him to sell popcorn in the lobby. Memphis fans are still laughing at us taking him off their hands, and now look at their program compared to ours.

I'll just leave these here for reference...
quotes from Stansbury after he extended Pastner:
"In a statement released by the school, athletic director Todd Stansbury said Pastner has been 'a great fit' due to the culture he has established in the program."

New terms (currently he's at the beginning of year 4 iirc):
Pastner’s contract, which had a seventh year added to it after his first season, is now worth a total of $13.6 million if he completes it. That’s an annual average of $1.94 million through the 2022-23 season. In the extension, athletic director Todd Stansbury also added a $500,000 retention bonus that Pastner will receive if he is still coach at the end of the 2021-22 season. The contract amendment was obtained through an open-records request.

Pastner is earning $1.7 million this season. He would make $2.4 million in the 2022-23 season.

The contract also re-set the schedule for a buyout should he be terminated. In the original contract, he was to receive 100 percent of the value of the remaining contract were he to be fired in the first four years of the contract, then 75 percent of the remaining value if fired in the fifth year and 60 percent for the sixth and final year.

With the extension, Pastner will now receive the full value of the contract if he is dismissed through the fifth year of the contract, then 75 percent in Year 6 and 60 percent in Year 7.

The contract continues to include perks such as a monthly allowance to cover the cost of a family membership at a country club and a $1,300 monthly automobile allowance.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I've always got this impression. Lute Olson is his idol.

All due respect, I'm not even entertaining that first portion of your post.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The pregame puffed out chest boasts about the Ball State game being a blowout, and "betting Christmas" on Tech -5.5 (hope the kids and family are OK with coal in the stockings) were very entertaining to read this morning during my pre-holiday trip to visit friends and relatives up in the Great Lakes area.

I would argue a college fan is most rabid during their student days on campus... I was challenged to have to rabidly support the teams under "Bless you, brother" Dwayne Morrison so those days were much darker than recent, but Pastner is "achieving" that level now. We're stuck with him. His buyout is too much after Stansbury extended Pastner's contract. Plus, as mentioned here, no self-respecting coach would come here to build a resume with years under the heavy shroud of probation that Paster has woven for Tech. Pastner should have to be the guy who has to stew in the warm sewage he has created of the Tech program until just before that "Retention bonus" comes due towards the end of the 21-22 season. The rest of this putrid season plus two more years of abject suck before we can be rid of him, on Stansbury's watch. Stnansbury should have made a move when "for cause" was in play when the probation results were announced.

As for Pastner pining for the Arizona job, they wouldn't hire him to sell popcorn in the lobby. Memphis fans are still laughing at us taking him off their hands, and now look at their program compared to ours.

"In a statement released by the school, athletic director Todd Stansbury said Pastner has been 'a great fit' due to the culture he has established in the program."

Pastner’s contract, which had a seventh year added to it after his first season, is now worth a total of $13.6 million if he completes it. That’s an annual average of $1.94 million through the 2022-23 season. In the extension, athletic director Todd Stansbury also added a $500,000 retention bonus that Pastner will receive if he is still coach at the end of the 2021-22 season. The contract amendment was obtained through an open-records request.

Pastner is earning $1.7 million this season. He would make $2.4 million in the 2022-23 season.

The contract also re-set the schedule for a buyout should he be terminated. In the original contract, he was to receive 100 percent of the value of the remaining contract were he to be fired in the first four years of the contract, then 75 percent of the remaining value if fired in the fifth year and 60 percent for the sixth and final year.

With the extension, Pastner will now receive the full value of the contract if he is dismissed through the fifth year of the contract, then 75 percent in Year 6 and 60 percent in Year 7.

The contract continues to include perks such as a monthly allowance to cover the cost of a family membership at a country club and a $1,300 monthly automobile allowance.
Wow, this is actually the first time I’ve seen Pastner’s reworked contract details. I’ve almost always sided with TS on his decisions because he’s done a lot of good since he’s been at Tech. But this contract is brutal. If he would’ve just left it alone Tech basketball would be in so much better shape, but now it has to suffer with a buffoon in charge.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
CJP got a one year extension for being coach of the year in the ACC. Don't think they changed the buy out but could be wrong on that one. Not quite an over the top move. Having a guy get coach of the year with no response would be unusual to say the least.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Are we going to have a bunch of "Do we want Pastner?" posts after every loss this season? Jeez, we were short two guys who would be starting and hung pretty well with one of the best teams in the country. Like what happens in too many games, we had a stretch of a few minutes in the first half where we could not buy a basket from anywhere on the floor. That is not Pastner's fault. Otherwise we played Kentucky straight up.

I know @Peacone36 has never been a Pastner fan, so his poll is not out character. But what does it do for us as fans to be debating this so often.

well i have been a big pastner fan. these days? not so much.

now what? this was not kentucky. we were short only one man. we did not play 3 games in a week. this was not finals week. pastners best team just got blown out at home by two mediocre teams at best.

in the span of 3 games weve pretty much s canned our chances for the ncaa OR the nit.

now what? he has the same response for his teams failures that clemson's FORMER clueless fb coach tommy bowden had. our coach looks clueless as do his players.

ive been watching gt bb since the late 70's. the past two losses at home have been two of the absolutely worst games ive seen us play since dwayne morrison our golf coach coached the team.

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Say it again for the folks in the back.

Folks need to be mindful of this. Timing matters because bad timing gets us another Grian Bregory. Folks saying 'fire him now' need to be careful what they wish for.

im ok with this. other than supporting our team and our coach its the only other option i have.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Morrison was s
well i have been a big pastner fan. these days? not so much.

now what? this was not kentucky. we were short only one man. we did not play 3 games in a week. this was not finals week. pastners best team just got blown out at home by two mediocre teams at best.

in the span of 3 games weve pretty much s canned our chances for the ncaa OR the nit.

now what? he has the same response for his teams failures that clemson's FORMER clueless fb coach tommy bowden had. our coach looks clueless as do his players.

ive been watching gt bb since the late 70's. the past two losses at home have been two of the absolutely worst games ive seen us play since dwayne morrison our golf coach coached the team.
Uccessful at Mercer before GT hired him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CJP got a one year extension for being coach of the year in the ACC. Don't think they changed the buy out but could be wrong on that one. Not quite an over the top move. Having a guy get coach of the year with no response would be unusual to say the least.

IIRC there was an extension, and the buyout was basically delayed a year. For instance if we fired him now it would be like firing him last year without the extension.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
IIRC there was an extension, and the buyout was basically delayed a year. For instance if we fired him now it would be like firing him last year without the extension.

That's what I meant to say. The buyout - like the length of the contract - was extended a year. I didn't say it correctly but it still wasn't an over the top extension for a coach of the year award.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

This is a pretty poetic post and I agree with portions of it, but "for cause" has never been in play here, and folks don't understand that. Only LaBarrie and Bell were cited for wrongdoing. You would need evidence Pastner directed their actions or at least turned a blind eye...or a finding of "lack of institutional control". There was none of that. Contracts are very difficult to nullify by design. Its got to be a slam dunk. Maybe we can hold out hope for a negotiated buyout if he becomes miserable enough.

slugboy

Staff member
The North Carolina perspective (indirectly)
95c03c471cd09164e307d90745d38e59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I went to the Auburn NC State game last night. This is what Tech basketball used to be like. Big crowd, exciting game, controversial calls ... fun time.

The ACC should always be UNC, Duke, Tech and everyone else. Just sad that we can’t get it together.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey Brownlow was all in with her Paul Johnson love affair so it isn't about Tech. And she has been really consistent and vocal about her Pastner feelings. I heard her a couple of times about that State loss and she actually was pretty funny.