Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We can hope he breaks a rule this year, so we can show “cause.” Then no worries for thinking of the NCAA’s next year, either.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Again with the same silly discussion after a loss. The only reasonable solution would be for Josh and Todd to agree to part ways amicably and have Coach Rev take over for a short term. If this year could be salvaged and “hope abounds”, Coach Rev could decide which assistants to keep or replace as he sees fit for next year.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Should've fired him as soon as the Ron Bell stuff came to the surface.
+1

if it were possible to fire with cause and not be on the hook for his contract, this is some beautiful 20/20 hindsight. But, I don’t think it’s that simple. Either way I think we have him for another year. We can’t afford it now so have him coach and recruit(maybe he can use some CGC magic) through next season and MAYBE if he gets us to the tourney we keep him around but....he’s on a VERY hot seat.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would’ve hired Ron Hunter when he left Georgia St. I think he would’ve brought a CGCesque energy to the program, and he was coming off some great years at GSU. He turned GSU into the best basketball program in the state, and he currently has a Tulane team that finished 4-27 last year at 8-2.
Maybe he’ll be in play for 2021, or whenever we finally rid ourselves of the cancer that Josh Pastner has been.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
Earl Grant at CoC is working his way up the list of up and comers. As much as we hate UNCheats, their basketball culture and pedigree are impressive, so maybe Wes Miller could bring that with him.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
We can hope he breaks a rule this year, so we can show “cause.” Then no worries for thinking of the NCAA’s next year, either.
GTAA attorneys are too incompetent for that. He should have been canned 2 years ago with cause for embarrassing the **** out of GT.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GTAA attorneys are too incompetent for that. He should have been canned 2 years ago with cause for embarrassing the **** out of GT.
My sarcasm was directed at exactly that turn of events, in which we got embarrassed and the talk of maybe this is the year we make the NCAA Tournament.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To add to the doom and gloom that’s been contributed to this thread. It was made a point after the UGA loss that it wasn’t even an important game, and that there were 20 more important ones. I’d argue now that there’s only 1 game left in the season thats important... Morehouse. It may be the only other game this team has a chance to win unless it gets reinvigorated in Hawaii somehow. Of all the reasons to get rid of CJP, I think him losing the team is the biggest. Poor offensive strategy and missed shots can be overlooked as player failure, getting out-rebounded, routinely shooting 50-60% from the FT line, turning the ball over 24 times against a MAC team, that’s inexcusable and a lack of discipline and effort.

Some ranks of this CJP teams out of 350 D1 teams
Free throw % - 347th (57.6%)
Turnovers per game - 341st (17.4)
Rebound margin - 238th (-0.8 per game)
Assist to turnover ratio - 276th (0.82)
3 point % - 307th (29.1%)
Personal fouls per game - 266th (18.8)
It’s unacceptable to be in the bottom 1/3 (in some cases the bottom 1/6) in so many categories, many of them that rely on discipline.
Our high school team had to shoot no less than 100 free throws every practice. It was mandatory. We feasted at the line and won a state championship.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Say it again for the folks in the back.

Folks need to be mindful of this. Timing matters because bad timing gets us another Grian Bregory. Folks saying 'fire him now' need to be careful what they wish for.
I said it after the game last night....is it o.k. to want Coach Reveno for a year and a half as an interim H.C., while waiting?
Who knows, he might be a long-term answer.

Trying to think of economical solutions. If the right guy comes up after this season, and the new infusion of energy runs out-make the new hire at that point.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I said it after the game last night....is it o.k. to want Coach Reveno for a year and a half as an interim H.C., while waiting?
Who knows, he might be a long-term answer.

Trying to think of economical solutions. If the right guy comes up after this season, and the new infusion of energy runs out-make the new hire at that point.

You can want whatever you feel like but it makes no sense to fire a guy and then just promote someone that his been on his staff since day 1. There is no reason to think Rev would improve things just cause.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One debacle after another. The Hewitt evergreen contract. CBG. Bobinski and his maladroit HC search, where good candidates used us to set their price for the jobs they really wanted. Finally Bobinski delivers the killshot: Pastner and friends, and we are on probation and down a scholly for several years. No quick fix that I can see. Egad, what a damn mess.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You can want whatever you feel like but it makes no sense to fire a guy and then just promote someone that his been on his staff since day 1. There is no reason to think Rev would improve things just cause.
He was a HC for 10 years at Portland. Can’t do much worse in comparison. Scrap the Princeton style. The guys look uninterested in playing. Crowd is dwindling. This all has happened before. It doesn’t end well!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He was a HC for 10 years at Portland. Can’t do much worse in comparison. Scrap the Princeton style. The guys look uninterested in playing. Crowd is dwindling. This all has happened before. It doesn’t end well!

Have you looked at his record at Portland?