Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
My personal read is that Wojo would have more risk coming to Wake and trying to resurrect a dormant program than staying with a seeming perennial top 20 program at Marquette. And I could be wrong - but I would be really surprised if the Wake salary was exponentially bigger than Marquette.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking back, the Bzdelik hire completely crushed Wake's program more than any other I can remember. Bob Wade at Maryland was a cause rather than an effect.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I would be really surprised if the Wake salary was exponentially bigger than Marquette.

Basketball is the only sport at Marquette and they treat it like a religion. The team has their own private plane. No shot Wake could match Wojo's financial package at MU

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, but Marquette's not in the ACC. Wojo might want to prove he can hang with the big boys. Big East isn't the Big East of old.

Yet the new Big East still puts a ton of teams in to the tourney.

It's consistently a top flight league that doesn't need to take a back seat to the ACC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not really.
I lived in Big East country in the '80s in Connecticut. ACC was always considered on par with Big East or better by the knowledgeable folks up there. I now live in Chicago, in the middle of B1G country. As much as they like to tout their B1G teams, they acknowledge that top-to-bottom, no conference stacks up to ACC. The ACC is to basketball what the SEC is to football. They may not have the best teams every year, but they beat each other up and always has at least 1 or 2 teams vying for the national championship. As good as many of the Big East teams are, there is no question the college basketball perception is it's the ACC and then everyone else. Conference strength fluctuates from year-to-year, but the ACC is seldom, if ever, really down.

so, really.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not really.

I think, in reality, it doesn't.

But, in perception, it kinda still does outside a pretty narrow geographical area.

Meaning, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone jump to an ACC job as a personal step up.

Their representation should advise against it, but I could see something like that happening.

slugboy

Staff member
Conference matters a little, but the comparison you want is Marquette vs Wake more than Big East vs ACC. Which school has a stronger athletic department, better support for your athletes and coaches? Where is the recruiting easier? Which program is better funded and better supported by the school? Who is going to be loyal to you? Where do you get to focus on coaching instead of other things? Are you starting over? Where is the ceiling higher and easier to reach?
If it was all about the conference, coaches would be fighting for the opportunity to coach Vanderbilt football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Specific to Wojo, I still don't know why he would. If he is looking to succeed K then stay and keep MQ a top 20ish program and you have established your bonafides. If you want money MQ will likely pay at least as much. As for risk, you have it going at MQ and it would be a risk to get a program like WF up and running to perineal top 20 level again. I haven't heard any issues at MQ recognizing I haven't listened real hard - but no obvious reason to leave for a lateral at best program with a lot of risk to rebuild.

And he is from the northern midwest so I don't see a coming home or weather issue.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I lived in Big East country in the '80s in Connecticut. ACC was always considered on par with Big East or better by the knowledgeable folks up there. I now live in Chicago, in the middle of B1G country. As much as they like to tout their B1G teams, they acknowledge that top-to-bottom, no conference stacks up to ACC. The ACC is to basketball what the SEC is to football. They may not have the best teams every year, but they beat each other up and always has at least 1 or 2 teams vying for the national championship. As good as many of the Big East teams are, there is no question the college basketball perception is it's the ACC and then everyone else. Conference strength fluctuates from year-to-year, but the ACC is seldom, if ever, really down.

so, really.

I think that perception is starting to see some erosion and part of it might be a function of the Big East hoops programs we brought in. Also, the Big East & B1G have been beating up on each other for years, but when the bubble comes up, their middle of the pack teams always seem to be getting benefit of the doubt, while the ACC teams on the fringes seem to get dismissed.

Beating up on each other or not, with a 20 game schedule, will we start seeing 10 ACC schools in the tourney? If not, that rep is not going to hold up over time.

Our hoops budget is the biggest mitigating factor, because it's one of the worst in the nation, but if the ACC is such a big deal to take on the big boys, how come it took like 8 candidates to land on CJP when Sasquatch was willing to pay up for a coach?

The ACC is not a big selling point for coaches when there are so many great jobs out there, especially when staring down a rebuild job in the ACC. Reality is that coaches don't really have much interest in that compared to their long time viability of receiving a big paycheck.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The rise of the mid-major programs and general parity has the same watering down effect on the other P-5 conferences as it does on the ACC. "The ACC is King" attitude was challenged in the 80's by The Big East with Thompson, Boeheim, Carlisimo, Carnaseca, etc.

I think that the "ACC is King" attitude has always been an exaggeration. However, the ACC has consistently been at or right near the top decade in and decade out. Would anyone contest that the ACC has been the most consistent conference in terms of being at the top or right near the top than any other conference taken over a 50 year period?

Personally, I judge a conference by it's coaches and quality depth of it's coaches from top to bottom of the conference. The idea of erosion of the ACC is as much as an exaggeration as thinking the "ACC is King." I see the coaching depth in the ACC as second to none. UVA landing Bennett was a coup for the conference. He is Da Bomb and the heir to Krzyzewski. The fact that Louisville was able to recruit Chris Mack to replace Pitino when soooo many other national programs tried to get Mack for many years is strong evidence to me that the ACC still has it goin' on.

We'll see if Wake upgrades from Manning and makes the conference even stronger.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Beilein is no longer under consideration by Wake according to Wake sources.

The names seeming to be bandied around the most right now are Steve Forbes and Wes Miller. Some Wake fans are hoping for Matta or Smart now that Beilein is off the table.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Beilein is no longer under consideration by Wake according to Wake sources.

The names seeming to be bandied around the most right now are Steve Forbes and Wes Miller. Some Wake fans are hoping for Matta or Smart now that Beilein is off the table.
Wake Forest should hire Steve Forbes and he would be a great head basketball coach for the Deacs. He reminds me a lot of Bruce Pearl!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW the other 2 names being bantered about by the local media are Earl Grant and Mike Rhoades. The media speculation is that Boeline was a required phone call but the real focus was on the 3 or 4 mid major guys.