Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Odom is not thought to be a major candidate.
Now Wes Miller on the other hand is. Note that Miller's father is on the Board of Trustee's at Wake.

Matta is their clear #1 if he is healthy enough to coach and right now that is a big if.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is Matta's condition a chronic issue? I don't mean to say that in a disparaging manner. I just mean that he has been out of coaching for a few years now, maybe he has discovered some therapy that has worked for him. I suffer intermittent back pain for going on 20 years now (spasms, abrasions etc) and they are no fun but there are some things that have helped (weight loss most notably). I don't know what specific affliction he suffers from but it is possible he has found some relief in his time off.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is Matta's condition a chronic issue? I don't mean to say that in a disparaging manner. I just mean that he has been out of coaching for a few years now, maybe he has discovered some therapy that has worked for him. I suffer intermittent back pain for going on 20 years now (spasms, abrasions etc) and they are no fun but there are some things that have helped (weight loss most notably). I don't know what specific affliction he suffers from but it is possible he has found some relief in his time off.

My vague recollection is that it's something much more serious than "just" chronic back pain.

Iirc, he's got drop foot and some other stuff along with it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My vague recollection is that it's something much more serious than "just" chronic back pain.

Iirc, he's got drop foot and some other stuff along with it.

also something I’ve experienced. His is permanent? That would be brutal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
also something I’ve experienced. His is permanent? That would be brutal

An article from 2015 ...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-03-16/things-he-cant-do

Thad Matta’s back is a mess, and has been for a long time. Eight years ago, a surgery to help went wrong and he woke up with a permanent disability to his right foot. "Drop foot," the doctors call it, which would require a brace as a lifetime companion. Besides that, the back is still a huge issue, but you think he’s going to try surgery again? The operation was June 16, 2007. He remembers the date pretty well.

now back to ESPN's late-breaking news ...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that is about the best case scenario for Wake.
He'll have to change his recruiting strategy for Wake and he should be able to given his past asst coach experience.
The ETSU roster had 6 JUCO's, 5 HS, and 2 transfers.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sarr has turned into a player but with Childress and Brown leaving its going to be tough. Don't for a second that the DuBose kid is going to put up numbers like he did at Houston Baptist. They were one of the fastest-paced teams in the nation last season that didn't play any defense and only won 5 games. Rude awakening coming.

I do like Mucius but it wont be enough.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Sarr has turned into a player but with Childress and Brown leaving its going to be tough. Don't for a second that the DuBose kid is going to put up numbers like he did at Houston Baptist. They were one of the fastest-paced teams in the nation last season that didn't play any defense and only won 5 games. Rude awakening coming.

I do like Mucius but it wont be enough.
Steve Forbes is a lot like his former boss Bruce Pearl and he recruits like him which means he'll get a good bit of talent to go to Winston-Salem but he's also going get the attention of the NCAA.