Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CJP ain't going anywhere for at least 2 years when we are smack in the middle of a major rebuild in our major sport, in my opinion. His 2021 recruiting class will be huge with regards to his future at Tech. If he can put together another good class back to back, and show improvement on the court, I see no reason to try to switch horses and possibly lose the momentum that he has begun to bring to our program.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that I agree with this premise as much as I once did. There is a lot of "noise" out there right now.

I'm not sure that he feels comfortable unless he is able to rally the team and have a strong close.

One thing is for sure, I will be pulling for our guys to win every time they lace em up.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Just out of curiosity, where is this momentum you speak of? We are worse than last year with essentially the same but more experienced players. It sounds like you are putting a lot of eggs in the basket of an unproven 7 foot high schooler and Vernon Maxwell's son. I sure hope you are right but I'm just not seeing it.
How are we worse than last year? The same pieces ? We’ve played half the season without a point guard. I think there is plenty of momentum right now for the season and essentially the program.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
How are we worse than last year? The same pieces ? We’ve played half the season without a point guard. I think there is plenty of momentum right now for the season and essentially the program.
We were 7-5 through 12 games last year compared to 6-6 this year. Our free throw shooting has somehow gotten worse (didn't think that was possible), our offense continues to look lost, and our defense isn't as good this year. Pastner is hot garbage but unfortunately we are saddled with him for a few more years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@Peacone36 : I wouldn’t want you to tell me specifically who you polled, or give up too much confidentiality, but was it other people like you that watch other programs, or people in athletic programs, or AAU people?
The results make sense to me; I’m just curious where it comes from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll tell you that one of the people I spoke to is a current roamer of an ACC sideline.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
We were 7-5 through 12 games last year compared to 6-6 this year. Our free throw shooting has somehow gotten worse (didn't think that was possible), our offense continues to look lost, and our defense isn't as good this year. Pastner is hot garbage but unfortunately we are saddled with him for a few more years.

7-5 last year

W - Lamar
L- Tennessee ( 5)
W - Ecu
W- Texas Rio
W- Praire View
L- North Western
L- St John
W- Florida A&M
L- Gardner Webb
W- Arkansas
L- Georgia
W- Kennesaw st

6-6 this year
W- NCSU
W- Elon
L- Georgia
L- Arkansas
W- Bethune Cookman
W- Nebraska
L- Syracuse
L- Kentucky (8)
L- Ball State
W- Boise State
L- Houston
W- Hawai’i

The wins we earned this year at this point mean a lot more than they did last year.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
CJP ain't going anywhere for at least 2 years when we are smack in the middle of a major rebuild in our major sport, in my opinion. His 2021 recruiting class will be huge with regards to his future at Tech. If he can put together another good class back to back, and show improvement on the court, I see no reason to try to switch horses and possibly lose the momentum that he has begun to bring to our program.

not referring to firing CJP.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My belief is on experience and knowledge of the game. You’re stirring the pot is nothing more than make Beau Bock move from the past. Trying to start something. I could care less what people outside of the GT family think

so your opinion is clearly bias and untrustworthy.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, where is this momentum you speak of? We are worse than last year with essentially the same but more experienced players. It sounds like you are putting a lot of eggs in the basket of an unproven 7 foot high schooler and Vernon Maxwell's son. I sure hope you are right but I'm just not seeing it.

I just think we would be at least 8-4 with a healthy Alvarado and we shouldn't lynch our coach over a key injury. And we have lots of possible upside with Usher and Bubba gaining experience in the new year. Another positive for this staff is the development of Moses and Devoe into top line ACC talent. Next year is his best recruited team with 6-9" Jordan Meka with valid P5 offers joining the 2 players you mentioned. Just doesn't make sense to me to get so lathered up at this time, but what do I know. I think a lot of people didn't like Pastner's hire, like him even less now, and they are just looking for reasons to justify their thinking.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I just think we would be at least 8-4 with a healthy Alvarado and we shouldn't lynch our coach over a key injury. And we have lots of possible upside with Usher and Bubba gaining experience in the new year. Another positive for this staff is the development of Moses and Devoe into top line ACC talent. Next year is his best recruited team with 6-9" Jordan Meka with valid P5 offers joining the 2 players you mentioned. Just doesn't make sense to me to get so lathered up at this time, but what do I know. I think a lot of people didn't like Pastner's hire, like him even less now, and they are just looking for reasons to justify their thinking.

Alvarado or not, there is no excuse for losing to Ball State at home or a 34 point loss to a bad Syracuse team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of people didn't like Pastner's hire, like him even less now, and they are just looking for reasons to justify their thinking.

I don't know if it's a question of like or dislike. Josh won at Memphis with Calipari's players and when the school went up conference, they tanked. The thinking about Josh has always been ... maybe he's not that great a coach? He hasn't really won at a major level and when he did, it was running someone else's system with someone else's players.

There seems to be some truth to that. At least, the story is consistent.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know if it's a question of like or dislike. Josh won at Memphis with Calipari's players and when the school went up conference, they tanked. The thinking about Josh has always been ... maybe he's not that great a coach? He hasn't really won at a major level and when he did, it was running someone else's system with someone else's players.

There seems to be some truth to that. At least, the story is consistent.

I'm not saying this to defend CJP, but you should consider reviewing history and identify where the mistakes are in your statements. Perhaps, be more mindful of adding research to your systems & process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Tigers_men's_basketball
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Pastner
https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Season/2010-Basketball/Commits/

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, you gotta ask, whose fault is it? I’m not a Pastner fan, that’s not up for debate, but he WANTED the job. He contacted the AD. Now whether that was self preservation or not, the AD had struck out in every avenue. I’m on the fire Pastner train but at the same time, I realize that any replacement is less than ideal. Steve Prohm is unlikely and polls I have conducted dating back to the spring suggest it’s unlikely that any “upgrade” will be less than substantial. I don’t think Pastner is the answer as I don’t think he can recruit Atlanta and his coaching chops don’t equate ACC success, but until we are willing to pony up for an ACC level coach....why bother?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying this to defend CJP, but you should consider reviewing history and identify where the mistakes are in your statements. Perhaps, be more mindful of adding research to your systems & process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Tigers_men's_basketball
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Pastner
https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Season/2010-Basketball/Commits/

What? That he won more at Conference USA than American Athletic? I think I said that.

Memphis was glad he left for Tech. Consider that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What? That he won more at Conference USA than American Athletic? I think I said that.

Memphis was glad he left for Tech. Consider that.

Nice attempt to deflect by bringing up his Memphis departure. I don't need to. I didn't want Pastner in the first place, but I was very willing to give him a thorough chance once he became our coach and I'm also accepting of the realities of his buyout and our resources, despite his less than ideal performance.

Tanking when they went up-conference was the closest thing you got to correct in your statement. Despite "tanking" at Memphis, he never had a losing season and he had 1 season (his last) under .500 in conference.

Also, I'm guessing you didn't bother to see how he turned the roster over entirely, meaning when he won big, he won with his own players, not Calipari's players. An entirely wrong item you stated.

Finally, what kind of contradictory statement is this? "He hasn't really won at a major level and when he did, it was running someone else's system with someone else's players."

He hasn't won big, except when he did? So he did win big? Wait, no, he didn't? Which is it?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nice attempt to deflect by bringing up his Memphis departure. I don't need to. I didn't want Pastner in the first place, but I was very willing to give him a thorough chance once he became our coach and I'm also accepting of the realities of his buyout and our resources, despite his less than ideal performance.

Tanking when they went up-conference was the closest thing you got to correct in your statement. Despite "tanking" at Memphis, he never had a losing season and he had 1 season (his last) under .500 in conference.

Also, I'm guessing you didn't bother to see how he turned the roster over entirely, meaning when he won big, he won with his own players, not Calipari's players. An entirely wrong item you stated.

Finally, what kind of contradictory statement is this? "He hasn't really won at a major level and when he did, it was running someone else's system with someone else's players."

He hasn't won big, except when he did? So he did win big? Wait, no, he didn't? Which is it?

My assertion is that Josh did his best during his Conference USA days when he ran 101-34. When Memphis moved to AAC, he ran 61-39. And in the ACC, he’s run 54-59.

So he’s done best in weaker conferences. I’m not sure how you can dispute that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I may end up being wrong, but I trust my opinion a hell of a lot more than I trust yours.

Even when I’m correct? I’m almost always correct in regards to this program. Being a fan doesn’t require blind allegiance. It’s ok to be disappointed. Disliking me or my opinion is not a good reason to disregard my typically correct opinion.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My assertion is that Josh did his best during his Conference USA days when he ran 101-34. When Memphis moved to AAC, he ran 61-39. And in the ACC, he’s run 54-59.

So he’s done best in weaker conferences. I’m not sure how you can dispute that.

Maybe you should start making crisp, concise assertions with fact-based data, rather than using sleight of hand tricks. I'd expect the former from someone who's run companies.

PS - While the AAC was a step up, the Conference USA that Pastner coached in was a top tier Mid Major conference, at worst, compared to the Conference USA of today, which he never coached in.

GT11

GT Athlete
Even when I’m correct? I’m almost always correct in regards to this program. Being a fan doesn’t require blind allegiance. It’s ok to be disappointed. Disliking me or my opinion is not a good reason to disregard my typically correct opinion.
Since you say your opinion is typically correct, Why didn’t you apply to be the coach? We would be in final 4 every year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you should start making crisp, concise assertions with fact-based data, rather than using sleight of hand tricks. I'd expect the former from someone who's run companies.

PS - While the AAC was a step up, the Conference USA that Pastner coached in was a top tier Mid Major conference, at worst, compared to the Conference USA of today, which he never coached in.

It doesn’t change my original assertion. His winning percentage has declined over time.