Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I didn't think Vandy would be that quick on the trigger.
Guess now they are going to have ungodly trouble trying to hire anyone else because they didn't give Drew sufficient time. :rolleyes:

I hope so. Screw them.

What? I'm starting to get sick of the high road.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Guess now they are going to have ungodly trouble trying to hire anyone else because they didn't give Drew sufficient time. :rolleyes:

Are you really insinuating that Drew inherited a dumpster fire or that going winless in the SEC was comparable to what we did this year? Vandy was 45-43 the 5 years prior to Drew. Drew went 16-38 and led them to their worst year in 30 years. Pastner inherited a program that had gone 27-61 in conference the previous 5 years and has gone 20-34 in 3.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At least 1 interesting tidbit...

At the risk of getting bullied (again), I don't see it. What am I missing?

Are you really insinuating that Drew inherited a dumpster fire or that going winless in the SEC was comparable to what we did this year? Vandy was 45-43 the 5 years prior to Drew. Drew went 16-38 and led them to their worst year in 30 years. Pastner inherited a program that had gone 27-61 in conference the previous 5 years and has gone 20-34 in 3.

I don't think he was comparing their situation to ours, necessarily. Everybody always says, if a school gives a guy less than 4 years, it's something other coaches see and make note of (from a negative standpoint) about that AD.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought Drew would be on the hot seat next season, but didn't think they would fire him after 3 years. He's been recruiting really well, but the results have been going all in the wrong direction.

Wonder what he buyout is? Rumor was Vandy payed him in the $2.6-2.7MM salary range. GT recruited Dylan Disu from TX pretty hard before he committed to Vandy.

slugboy

Staff member
Reading this thread, I see so many coaches that were supposed to make a positive impact on their their teams. My gut feel is that most of them aren't that different from each other. So, I searched to see if anyone had put together stats on how much of an impact they actually make: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=college+basketball+coach+how+much+of+a+difference+do+they+make.

It's mostly how much SALARY do they make. There's a ton of stats on how much difference the players make, but not much on the coaches.

Many of us were hoping for Bryce Drew a few years ago, and MBob tried to get him. Now, it seems he's a bum.

Not only is finding a college coach not a science, it doesn't even seem to be an art. More of a lotto ticket purchase.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of getting bullied (again), I don't see it. What am I missing?

I don't think he was comparing their situation to ours, necessarily. Everybody always says, if a school gives a guy less than 4 years, it's something other coaches see and make note of (from a negative standpoint) about that AD.
In yesterday’s Daily Dirt, I mentioned Indiana assistant Bruiser Flint at St. Joe’s. Now, I’m also hearing Notre Dame associate head coach Rod Balanis and Delaware head coach Martin Ingelsby here. They both have Notre Dame connections with current St. Joe’s AD Jill Bodensteiner. I have also heard that Parker will be running this search.

Tech connection...Rod Balanis

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

That was it. Just get a kick out of the logic that if we fire CJP we won't be able to hire anyone else as we will have a bad rep. What we have is a bad bank account and relationship with the hill - rep be damned. Not that I think now is the time to fire CJP - it isn't - just that the logic you can't fire anyone before 5 years is not correct.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@dtm1997 warning: I am asking a question, not alleging anything. Thus, no proof or evidence to provide. Just the thoughts that cross my mind as I read this thread...

I wonder if Drew's sudden / unexpected ouster is in any way related to information that Vandy is privy to w/r/t his sudden recruiting success and the various FBI / adidas investigations.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

No, it was pretty clear comparison.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That was it. Just get a kick out of the logic that if we fire CJP we won't be able to hire anyone else as we will have a bad rep. What we have is a bad bank account and relationship with the hill - rep be damned. Not that I think now is the time to fire CJP - it isn't - just that the logic you can't fire anyone before 5 years is not correct.

It's not a good look, necessarily, but not impossible to recover from.

It seems to be one of those things going by the wayside, if we're being honest. Like not long ago everyone assumed surely an ACC job would trump some mid-major jobs. That's certainly no longer necessarily the case. Times are changing. The automatic 5-year tenure thing is seemingly one of those things going away.

Speaking, as you say, generally. GT has other issues.

No, it was pretty clear comparison.

Meh, I didn't get that from reading his post. Maybe I was wrong.