Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sad to see Martelli go. I remember watching them when they were #1 with Jameer Nelson & Delonte West.

Two constants with St Joe's for many years: Martelli & their Hawk mascot flapping his wings the whole game

Why such fond memories about Martelli. Always seemed like a dtm-level curmudgeon to me, especially lately. Can't forgive them for putting us outta the tourney all those years back, I guess.

ETA: Bowman returning to BC would be a questionable decision, IMHO. Not sure he can help himself draft-wise even if they end up having a great season next year.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Most of the mock drafts I've seen have Bowman as mid- to late second round. If that's accurate, his choice will come down to whether he wants to stay in college or go to G League.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Most of the mock drafts I've seen have Bowman as mid- to late second round. If that's accurate, his choice will come down to whether he wants to stay in college or go to G League.

That's literally, word-for-word what folks said about Okogie.

Could Cliff Warren help with Tre Mitchell?

Not if UMass hires his HS coach to replace Warren.

slugboy

Staff member
Wake is still the one to watch. if Manning comes back there is going to be a serious revolt in their fanbase. But if they fire him and hire someone like Young that isn't going to be exciting for them either. They have been hanging onto the rumor that they are going to fire Manning and then Smart is going to jump to them from TX to avoid the hot seat there next season.

Guess that shows how out of touch I am. Wake doesn't seem like a great destination right now, and even with the heat at Texas I would think Smart could be choosy. I would think he would ask for a lot; Wake has good donors, but would they pony up enough to get Smart there?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's literally, word-for-word what folks said about Okogie.

Not if UMass hires his HS coach to replace Warren.

Your first bit about Okogie was exactly what I was going to respond. He was not see as a first rounder - until he went to the combine and tested through the roof. I could see Bowman doing something similar - he is a big time athlete.

Tre Mitchell's HS coach at Woodstock Academy in CT is heavily rumored to be a likely hire by McCall at Umass. Maybe that is why all the Crystal Balls have been pointing in that direction in the last week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
i will say one of my great thrills was seeing Big 5 games at the Palestra. That was an awesome atmosphere.

I don't think anyone around here has a clue about Big 5 basketball at the Palestra (I lived in West Chester for about 12 years)....those were intense rivalries. (Most of those schools don't play football though...)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't think anyone around here has a clue about Big 5 basketball at the Palestra (I lived in West Chester for about 12 years)....those were intense rivalries. (Most of those schools don't play football though...)

Don't sell us short.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Seeing a Big 5 game in the Palestra has been on my bucket list for years. Ditto a Kansas game in the Phog and a New Mexico game at the Pit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seeing a Big 5 game in the Palestra has been on my bucket list for years. Ditto a Kansas game in the Phog and a New Mexico game at the Pit.

I want you to see the famous runs at San Quentin. :sneaky:

(On a serious note, that's actually a thing.)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

For anyone that doesn't know, the big 5 is a group of basketball schools in Philly that play every year to determine a city champion. The 5 schools are Penn, Villanova, Temple, LaSalle and St. Joseph's.