Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, if I would've posted that, somebody would've had a negativity field day with it.

Deleted member 2897

Whoa ....

New Years Resolution list came early at UCLA.

Well, we think our program is in a bad place. UCLA lost to Michigan State, UNCheat....Belmont, Cincinnati by 30, Ohio State, and just got blown out by Liberty. I mean, dayam.

Here is some of their roster and the recruit rankings:
Cody Riley: 44 (high 4-star)
Moses Brown: 28 (5-star)
Kris Wilkes: 20 (5-star)
Jaylen Hands: 23 (5-star)
Prince Ali: 30 (high 4-star)
Chris Smith: 102 (4-star)
Jules Bernard: 46 (high 4-star)
David Singleton: 100 (4-star)
Jalen Hill: 68 (4-star)

Committing to UCLA in basketball (or most anywhere in the Pac12) is like committing to most of the SEC in football - its where your career goes to die.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well, we think our program is in a bad place. UCLA lost to Michigan State, UNCheat....Belmont, Cincinnati by 30, Ohio State, and just got blown out by Liberty. I mean, dayam.

Here is some of their roster and the recruit rankings:
Cody Riley: 44 (high 4-star)
Moses Brown: 28 (5-star)
Kris Wilkes: 20 (5-star)
Jaylen Hands: 23 (5-star)
Prince Ali: 30 (high 4-star)
Chris Smith: 102 (4-star)
Jules Bernard: 46 (high 4-star)
David Singleton: 100 (4-star)
Jalen Hill: 68 (4-star)

Committing to UCLA in basketball (or most anywhere in the Pac12) is like committing to most of the SEC in football - its where your career goes to die.

Only Libery is a bad loss there. The Pac12 is bad yes, but UCLA was punching dance cards.

Alford is overrated but UCLA is sustainable, Holland went to 3 final fours there.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Only Libery is a bad loss there. The Pac12 is bad yes, but UCLA was punching dance cards.

Alford is overrated but UCLA is sustainable, Holland went to 3 final fours there.

Man. You cain't quit Ben, can you? Bromance notwithstanding, you ain't wrong.

UCLA is a ready-made winner. You have to stank bad as a coach to not win there. Alfors has always been overrated imho.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you're UCLA, you got to look at someone who knows the modern basketball landscape.

Someone who can put them back in blue blood status.

tenor.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you're UCLA, you got to look at someone who knows the modern basketball landscape.

Someone who can put them back in blue blood status.

tenor.gif

Daang I tried to post that gif 3 times but it didn't work. Sabotage by the admins? Probably yep.

And Wooden must be turning over in his grave at the thought of UCLA not having the highest quality amenities. He was buying players before anybody even knew that was a 'thing'.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are you basing that on Lonzo Ball's endorsement of Watson?

Absolutely not. I think a lot of places are gonna copycat the Penny-MEM thing. Watson has AAU ties, NBA pedigree, blah, blah, blah. To me, he was miscast as an NBA HC. Belongs in college.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Absolutely not. I think a lot of places are gonna copycat the Penny-MEM thing. Watson has AAU ties, NBA pedigree, blah, blah, blah. To me, he was miscast as an NBA HC. Belongs in college.

I'm not buying this. I'm buying my theory that you're just jumping in with Lonzo.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You always believe the worst in people though so I'm not even mad.

People prove me right, but what you don't know is that I'm a Lonzo fan, so I'm fine with his take. Also, Goodman listed Watson as a candidate a couple of days ago.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have not given much thought to the UCLA coaching job, but a friend has. Here is a name he offered that I had not heard:

"Buzz Williams (Va Tech): Williams won two thirds of his games at Marquette over a period of six seasons in the Big East and since then he has won 59% of his game at Va Tech in four-and-a-half seasons despite taking over a moribund program. UCLA basketball may not be the glamour job that it was during the Wooden years, but it is still a prestigious job – – despite the potential of having to deal with LaVar Ball occasionally."