Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That feels like another situation that is likely to end poorly.

Gee, Tubby has another 20 win season - but lets get rid of him and hire a guy whose coaching experience includes AAU ball and a year at a HS in Memphis.

Another $10MM buyout on the way?

i do wonder if Penny were to get the job would he have to get rid of his AAU program? That would seem to be a huge conflict of interest.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Gee, Tubby has another 20 win season - but lets get rid of him and hire a guy whose coaching experience includes AAU ball and a year at a HS in Memphis.

i do wonder if Penny were to get the job would he have to get rid of his AAU program? That would seem to be a huge conflict of interest.

There was a post that said the name would revert back to Bluff City.

I think the attendance is what is worrying people here but if you win they will come. Tubby has taken what? 5 programs to the dance? He’s dull but ultimately underrated

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't kept up. How strong is the link between Ollie and the FBI/wiretap/payment under the table stuff?
I hadn't seen his name but in reality haven't looked in a while.
Quite honestly, before seeing the "for cause" part he was a guy I would have gone after if I was the Pitt AD

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i don't believe the Ollie stuff had anything to do with the FBI investigation.
The NCAA has opened an investigation into recruiting violations by Uconn.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like all these schools are using the FBI investigation as justification to fire their underperforming coaches.
I don't believe that Ollie's firing is connected to FBI investigation. No details of what the NCAA has been looking into have come out unlike the FBI stuff.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck

He'd definitely have to divest himself from the AAU program though he'd be in the best position in the immediate future recruiting wise with those players. Tubby got to 20 wins playing against scrubs in the nonconference and beating South Florida and other bottom tier AAC programs. The recruiting still is crap and he has no buzz in Memphis with fans or the local basketball players or coaches.

It may not work out but at least in the short term they'd get players and attendance would raise up if they were to hire Penny. Things like losing out on a 800 thousand dollar check from the Grizzlies has to hurt.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ollie firing is weird but expected. Weird in that they put up with dirty Calhoun for decades. Curious to see what the uNCAA has on him.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ollie firing is weird but expected. Weird in that they put up with dirty Calhoun for decades. Curious to see what the uNCAA has on him.
Being in the AAC is a killer for them. They were in one of the top two conferences and now plays East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa and South Florida.

I think the conference is also a hindrance for Temple.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While the article is about UGA, it gives some interesting dynamics about how to view GT as well.

Last edited: