Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Another gem ....

ETA: Ron Hunter seems content at GASt. Can't see him hopping to DePaul. Then again, DePaul is basically GaSt on steroids (don't tell @ChasonBaller I said that) but located in Chicago instead of Atlanta.

Hard to believe Mike Davis will ever get back to that level. Seems he self-relegated to the lowest, least profile job he could find.

Speaking of which, did anyone see former GT-target Trayvon Reed at Tx Southern slap that one kid during a brief altercation? Man that kid just can't get right. Million dollar talent, $0.10 head.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I said Smith was crazy to take that Memphis job. I was shocked when he said yes. He left a good situation for that hot mess Memphis.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i don't see UConn making a move on Ollie until they know the outcome of the NCAA investigation. if anything turns up at all Ollie's contract is set where they could fire him and not pay a buyout. They will wait since that is a difference of 10MM.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt can do what it wants but if it tries to fire with cause i think that is going to cause an issue. No way Stallings will allow that and there case appears flimsy at best.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this is a positive article or not. Basically says USF had four players after Gregory's second meeting with the team last year. He brought in 9 players over a couple of weekends worth of recruiting. They still are horrible, but the team GPA was up, they won some games late and Gregory is a "grinder." Seems like a nice guy. I hope he does well, but sort of a weird article.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-...n-gregory-deliver-the-aacs-best-coaching-job/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Times is actually a pretty good paper, but not every writer is wonderful. Plus, most of the Florida papers primarily cover professional sports. The Times is pretty much the same.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if anyone just saw that ending by Memphis.. crazy running shot for the buzzer beating win!! Literally a tear-drop 3 pointer, never seen on of those in my life I'm pretty sure.

I'm half hoping UGA and Memphis both win their tourneys just to make things crazy. :wacky:

Edit: found video

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hiring a new coach is just one of Pitt's problems. They have seven freshmen and two rarely used sophomores returning, plus St Johns transfer Malik Ellison (who must be wondering why he thought coming to Pitt was such a great idea), and Jared Wilson-Frame (who is actually a decent player). They signed one 3* guy in the Fall, so unless someone transfers out there is only one spot left. The new coach is going to be bound to this roster for the first year, at least. Maybe he should get a bonus for every ACC game Pitt wins the next two seasons.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hiring a new coach is just one of Pitt's problems. They have seven freshmen and two rarely used sophomores returning, plus St Johns transfer Malik Ellison (who must be wondering why he thought coming to Pitt was such a great idea), and Jared Wilson-Frame (who is actually a decent player). They signed one 3* guy in the Fall, so unless someone transfers out there is only one spot left. The new coach is going to be bound to this roster for the first year, at least. Maybe he should get a bonus for every ACC game Pitt wins the next two seasons.

I'll let @Peacone36 respond to this because I know he has thoughts on Pitt's roster before anyone decides to transfer.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone just saw that ending by Memphis.. crazy running shot for the buzzer beating win!! Literally a tear-drop 3 pointer, never seen on of those in my life I'm pretty sure.

I'm half hoping UGA and Memphis both win their tourneys just to make things crazy. :wacky:

Edit: found video

Oh Hell to the no for ugag winning! I do not want to see them in the big dance!!!!!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Just came here to post that link. The quotes aren't going to endear him to prospective college employers.
"Every night I go to bed, I'm bitter at the U.S. Attorney's office and at the 'board of traitors' at Louisville," he said. "I'm not bitter at the school, but at the board of traitors."
"I've been assassinated by the Southern district of NY without any wiretap or shred of evidence, and the University of Louisville. That being said, I love teaching basketball and am more passionate than ever."

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think this cupboard is bare. Parker Stewart just set a Pitt freshman record with 71 triples his first season while shooting 43% in conference.

Marcus Carr can play (not sure if he is related to Donnie, Cory or Chris) I just think he needs confidence. I think he has a bright future.

JWF isn’t my favorite player but came on towards the end of the season.

The problem here is front court talent and depth. They have zero. Chukwuku was a little used big man at a CC before this year, Stevenson, a freshman, is really a 2 guard that ended up playing the 3-4. I’m not sold on Terrell Brown but some have said during Pitt games they think he has decent upside.

Ryan Luther will return next year (at least according to what I have read) with those three sophomores (Stewart, Carr, Stevenson) Pitt really isn’t that far away from being competitive. Not necessarily winning but I think they may at least score 70 points in a game after the second week of December unlike this year.

But ya never know, those kids all might leave. If that happens PEC is going to be a very empty place. I guess my point here is, I dont think Pitt is that far away but at the same time Pitt could still be worse next year....

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt is a huge rebuild.
Stewart looks like a future solid ACC player.
Carr is ok. Biggest thing is he isn't really a PG, more of a combo.
Stevenson has some potential.
JWF was their leading scorer and a volume shooter but is gone after next season.
Luther if he comes back is gone after next season.

Doubt all will be there with a new coach unless the AD pulls a big surprise and gets a big name coach. it is unusual for there not to be some TO.
Could easily go 0-18 again next season, 2-3 ACC wins would probably be good. How many coaches are going to be willing to go through that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pitt is a huge rebuild.
Stewart looks like a future solid ACC player.
Carr is ok. Biggest thing is he isn't really a PG, more of a combo.
Stevenson has some potential.
JWF was their leading scorer and a volume shooter but is gone after next season.
Luther if he comes back is gone after next season.

Doubt all will be there with a new coach unless the AD pulls a big surprise and gets a big name coach. it is unusual for there not to be some TO.
Could easily go 0-18 again next season, 2-3 ACC wins would probably be good. How many coaches are going to be willing to go through that.
I agree, but that is a lot of maybe. Even with the upside of all that it still looks dicey.