Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
File this under 'something you don't see everyday'. Theus files battery complaint after 'heated argument' with Cal St Northridge AD post-firing ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ry-complaint-athletic-director-brandon-martin

Martin informed Theus he was being let go, and the two proceeded to get into a heated verbal altercation, a source close to the situation told ESPN. The source said Martin and Theus have had a tenuous relationship for years.

The source also told ESPN that no punches were thrown, though the incident did involve the two men being chest to chest.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This has nothing to do with college basketball coaching, but I'm posting it anyway.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, he now has $10M in his IRA, which might be enough to make ends meet for a couple of years after he moves to The Villages in Florida.

Fast forward a couple years and there will be grainy video of an overweight Stallings getting tossed for berating some poor high school referee as he coaches some rando Podunk, USA HS team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some fun tidbits here today with an interesting take for a Pitt coach.

Tubby Smith to High Point is an interesting idea. There is not way Tubby would be paid anything close to his Memphis salary, but the buyout might allow him to tolerate a low salary without changing his lifestyle until be retires.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just read that Pitt may try to use Stallings' smack talk to the Louisville fans ("at least we didn't pay $100,000 for a player..") as their "cause" for the firing. They are reportedly offering around $4.9 million, or roughly half of his actual buyout. I just don't see that working. If it was that big of a deal, why didn't they suspend him or do something when he did it.

Pitt is in a bad situation. Bad hire two years ago. Basketball program is a mess. Fired the coach and are trying to find a way to reduce the buyout, but with what cause? If I were Stallings or his lawyers, I'd say "pay me the $9.4 million....period." Besides being a jerk, which apparently was already well known at Vandy, he apparently didn't cheat or break any rules. The team had its highest GPA in years. He was just an awful hire who didn't win games, ran off players and was a jerk.

Pitt needs to own their mistake and pay the guy. It looks bad enough that they fired him after two years. Now they are going to try and job him of his buyout? Who is going to want to coach there? (Obviously someone will, but it doesn't paint a pretty picture.)

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just read that Pitt may try to use Stallings' smack talk to the Louisville fans ("at least we didn't pay $100,000 for a player..") as their "cause" for the firing. They are reportedly offering around $4.9 million, or roughly half of his actual buyout. I just don't see that working. If it was that big of a deal, why didn't they suspend him or do something when he did it.

Pitt is in a bad situation. Bad hire two years ago. Basketball program is a mess. Fired the coach and are trying to find a way to reduce the buyout, but with what cause? If I were Stallings or his lawyers, I'd say "pay me the $9.4 million....period." Besides being a jerk, which apparently was already well known at Vandy, he apparently didn't cheat or break any rules. The team had its highest GPA in years. He was just an awful hire who didn't win games, ran off players and was a jerk.

Pitt needs to own their mistake and pay the guy. It looks bad enough that they fired him after two years. Now they are going to try and job him of his buyout? Who is going to want to coach there? (Obviously someone will, but it doesn't paint a pretty picture.)
If they try to stiff him, I wonder if he could enjoin them from hiring a new coach until the lawsuits are settled? If they are saying it was for cause, he could contest that reason, saying therefore the job is still rightfully his.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A pretty interesting/funny rumor on the MEM boards is that, if Penny is hired, he may bring Hewitt with him on staff.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse, them dudes are already discussing Penny's staff. I mean, can somebody let Tubbs know his keys may not work next week? He's probably got a case or 2 of Metamucil in the mini-fridge that he'd like to get out.