Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see if Capel can do anything at Pitt. As several have pointed out before, his only success at Oklahoma was with Blake Griffin for a couple of years. When K was out last year, the team did not exactly light the world on fire either. Jury is out on him as an X&O guy, at best

As a recruiter, he's had more success than anyone not named Calipari over the past 5 years. Since there has never been any evidence of any wrongdoing, I chalk that up to the halo effect of Duke / K. How hard can it be to convince a OAD kid to play for K these days? (Ditto for going to Kentucky or Kansas) Obviously, those benefits go away when you're on your own at Pitt, so will see how he does in 2019 & 2020 recruiting cycles.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Aside from his successes with Griffin you have got to look at his failures with Willie Warren, Keith Gallon and Tommie Mason-Griffith (Griffin?). That team was loaded and came apart at the seams. Most of it was blamed on the kids but you don’t see that crap happening under these coaches that are landing multiple blue chip guys elsewhere

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't think Capel will make Pitt anything better than mediocre, I wouldn't use backfilling at Duke as an example. I'd point to Oklahoma only.

Comparable situation was Mike Hopkins. Didn't do well at Syracuse during Boeheim's 9 game suspension. Then he was PAC12 COY in his first year at Washington. Granted, COY in the PAC12 this year is akin to winning peewee football, but I digress. Let the guys get their own team and coach them from beginning to end to draw conclusions.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Aside from his successes with Griffin you have got to look at his failures with Willie Warren, Keith Gallon and Tommie Mason-Griffith (Griffin?). That team was loaded and came apart at the seams. Most of it was blamed on the kids but you don’t see that crap happening under these coaches that are landing multiple blue chip guys elsewhere

Preach, my offensive brotha. Preach.

I wish we had delusional media.

Or maybe baby steps that direction, such as more than 1 person (Ken) covering road games.

We do have delusional media, unfortunately they're just masquerading as Jacket fans IIUC. :whistle:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Preach, my offensive brotha. Preach.

We do have delusional media, unfortunately they're just masquerading as Jacket fans IIUC. :whistle:
Let's find those bastards and finish 'em!

200w.webp

Seriously though, it is disheartening when I am #2 in the pecking order of media covering GT. Happened at the few away games I covered over the last few years. @NC State, @Duke and somewhere else I won't mention :whistle: We are an freakin' major conference ACC team. Only Boston College is worse that I've seen, sending 0 Boston media when they visited GT last year or the year before.

I wish I could dedicate more time to it. I'd continue doing it pro bono if other obligations permitted. CJ#1 was born in December, so that makes things more challenging. Gotta figure out early retirement somehow...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let's find those bastards and finish 'em!

200w.webp

Seriously though, it is disheartening when I am #2 in the pecking order of media covering GT. Happened at the few away games I covered over the last few years. @NC State, @Duke and somewhere else I won't mention :whistle: We are an freakin' major conference ACC team. Only Boston College is worse that I've seen, sending 0 Boston media when they visited GT last year or the year before.

I wish I could dedicate more time to it. I'd continue doing it pro bono if other obligations permitted. CJ#1 was born in December, so that makes things more challenging. Gotta figure out early retirement somehow...

Wait a minute .... why is this the 1st we're hearing of this?

Congratulations!

On the media thing, I hope we win enough to make folks embarrassed they're not covering us more.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hmmmm... interesting. Feels like this is tangentially related to coaches that were in Durham that dropped bags.

Let me state, I don't have a problem with the kid & his family getting the money. I just want to show how easy it would be to funnel money on behalf of a program and what a naive assumption it would be to think anyone does things clean.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wondered if he was getting any traction anywhere ...

... honestly, he might should (yes, 'might should') go ahead and take that gig even though it's not a great situation. He needs to move up before he gets stuck at UNCCentral.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
At least locally very little of the shine has worn off of LeVelle. He got outclassed/outshined by Keats being tapped locally at NCSU but I think most here would think him not stale and a great candidate for the right mid major job. Whether that is ECU .......

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At least locally very little of the shine has worn off of LeVelle. He got outclassed/outshined by Keats being tapped locally at NCSU but I think most here would think him not stale and a great candidate for the right mid major job. Whether that is ECU .......
I can hardly disagree with him passing on ECU. Greenville is a sinkhole during basketball season. NCCU has a ton more basketball buzz than ECU. A little known fact: NCCU played Duke in the very first integrated basketball game in the South. There is a nice book recounting the game.

http://www.nccueaglepride.com/sports/2011/3/8/MBB_0308110905.aspx?id=35