Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On a totally unrelated note, I absolutely loved Anfernee Hardaway as a player but I'm totally rooting for him to fall flat on his face as a coach. MEM fans are acting like they hired Red AuerbaCalipari.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Now we really get to see if Capel is the cash-bag-dropping guy @dtm1997 and @Peacone36 say he is.

If Pitt starts landing top 5 recruiting classes next year, they're right.
If not, it means recruits won't take cash from Pitt (odd idea) or they're wrong.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This will be interesting to see how it unfolds. I agree with @jeffgt14 that Capel could have gotten a better gig had K gone to bat for him. Either K wanted him to stay, or wanted him gone, but at a program where his recruiting ability would not haunt Duke for the next few years. As an in-game coach Capel never showed me much.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol so does Pitt get the hammer dropped on them now when the FBI stuff gets released?

Perhaps Coach K pushed him out. If he wanted another job, he could've gotten a better one than Pitt.

What better job might he have gotten? GT was the only other opportunity where I saw his name come up. Given that Pitt missed on Hurley, Oates, and again on Sean Miller and that there are zero players on the roster at the moment, this is a good hire for Pitt; 7 year deal is long, but had no choice after missing on at least 3 coaches.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What better job might he have gotten? GT was the only other opportunity where I saw his name come up. Given that Pitt missed on Hurley, Oates, and again on Sean Miller and that there are zero players on the roster at the moment, this is a good hire for Pitt; 7 year deal is long, but had no choice after missing on at least 3 coaches.

He already landed his best job, Oklahoma.

Then the players revolted or just acted douchey and it all went in the crapper.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've wondered the same question, although it was rumored he could've had the Arizona State job, another rebuilding job, before Hurley ended up taking it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt should be thrilled, that is a way better hire than they could have expected going into the process.

Also, rumors were pretty consistent that Miller was interested in Pitt but Pitt was not willing to take a chance on him with the FBI stuff going on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Capel at Oklahoma:

2006-07 16-15 (6-10)
2007-08 23-12 (9-7) Blake Griffin's 1st season
2008-09 30-6 (13-3) Blake Griffin stayed for a 2nd season
2009-10 13-18 (4-12) No Blake Griffin, but with 3 McDonald's All Americans
2010-11 14-18 (5-11) Mass exodus of players

So, what did Capel do without Blake Griffin???

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

So much for what's his face at Winthrop getting a crack at it. Should've taken UMass when he had the chance.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oddly, I have faith that Xavier will end up with a really good replacement. Stinks (for them) to lose Mack to *gag* Lville.

Guess it's just exhibit 42234.1 that nothing is coming from the FBI stuff. smdh

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Also, rumors were pretty consistent that Miller was interested in Pitt but Pitt was not willing to take a chance on him with the FBI stuff going on.

Wait, but Capel....they're willing to gamble the FBI doesn't have anything on him? I'm confused....