Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
On a totally unrelated note, I absolutely loved Anfernee Hardaway as a player but I'm totally rooting for him to fall flat on his face as a coach. MEM fans are acting like they hired Red AuerbaCalipari.
Hated him as a pro. I had season tickets to Orlando Magic and he's the reason i gave them up. I got tired of his bitching and moaning. It's a shame he couldn't co-exist with Shaq - no telling what they could have accomplished in O-Town.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I still can't comprehend why Mack would go to Louisville right now. This has to put the chances Louisville gets hit by anything from the FBI stuff at less than 5%.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I still can't comprehend why Mack would go to Louisville right now. This has to put the chances Louisville gets hit by anything from the FBI stuff at less than 5%.

I think you just answered your own question.

With Bowen gone and Pitino and Jurich fired who is left to punish? Lack of insitutuonal control could hammer the program I guess but the people responsible for that lack of oversite have been fired. Unless you can tie any current players to the scandal I am not in favor of punishing the program as a whole.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

With Bowen gone and Pitino and Jurich fired who is left to punish? Lack of insitutuonal control could hammer the program I guess but the people responsible for that lack of oversite have been fired. Unless you can tie any current players to the scandal I am not in favor of punishing the program as a whole.
I agree but they usually still do go after the school. My problem is who do they punish? They (usually) don’t go after coaches at their new school for something that was discovered at their previous job. We all know how worthless taking away National Championships and Heisman Trophies are as it just leads to an asterisk on the Wikipedia page. It’s better to cheat and win a championship that gets taken away than it is to play straight and never win a championship. Nobody gives two ****s that Louisville had a trophy taken away because they saw them win it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

He turned us down? To wait on the Pitt job? Hmmm

Hated him as a pro. I had season tickets to Orlando Magic and he's the reason i gave them up. I got tired of his bitching and moaning. It's a shame he couldn't co-exist with Shaq - no telling what they could have accomplished in O-Town.

Shaq was leaving ORL because of ORL, not because of Penny.

I am. Burn 'em all down.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm waiting to see the amount of $ guaranteed before arriving at an answer to your question. Maybe he also has a back-out clause pending FBI findings, allowing him to leave voluntarily with no but-out.

The stripper-gate punishments were "meh" from a go-forward punishment perspective. It amounts to a wave of the finger. Comical actually, relative to a prior ACC team's punishment for self-reporting $5k in payments and a few written papers over 8 years.

The FBI stuff is more interesting, and who knows what Mack was told. But if his downside is $20M+ guaranteed over the next 7 years, then that's a nice golden parachute if things ultimately don't work out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would imagine Mack's contract is going to be mostly guaranteed.
I think it was reported somewhere that is was in the $4MM/yr range.

I also suspect that Capel got at least as much as Hurley as was offered at Pitt which was $3.1MM/yr.

Some big numbers being given out.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I would imagine Mack's contract is going to be mostly guaranteed.
I think it was reported somewhere that is was in the $4MM/yr range.

I also suspect that Capel got at least as much as Hurley as was offered at Pitt which was $3.1MM/yr.

Some big numbers being given out.

Yeah people were wondering why Capel would turn down GT and ASU but go to the dumpster fire at Pitt.. I figured it was all about da :greedy::greedy::greedy:.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just as an FYI, he did not 'turn down' GT, he removed his name from consideration.

GT thought they had Bryce Drew, so Capel withdrew his name. Then Drew made the late switch to Vandy and GT was left scrambling.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Just as an FYI, he did not 'turn down' GT, he removed his name from consideration.

GT thought they had Bryce Drew, so Capel withdrew his name. Then Drew made the late switch to Vandy and GT was left scrambling.

Either way, I seriously doubt we were going to offer him 3+ million but maybe that's just me.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Would be very surprised if Capel is successful at Pitt. He was not good at his first two HC jobs and when K has been out Duke has struggled with Capel in charge. He is good recruiter at Duke but duke recruits itself these days. They come for K and chance at a championship.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is just blind allegiance to your program here. I have seen nothing that would lead me to these conclusions other than his recruiting successes and even those are seemingly paper assisted.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is just blind allegiance to your program here. I have seen nothing that would lead me to these conclusions other than his recruiting successes and even those are seemingly paper assisted.

I'll say it again. Anyone who espouses his recruiting prowess, but chooses not to acknowledge the dirt, is being offensive.

Right. :rolleyes:

He just better be glad Pitts chose not to delve further into what he did in years minus Blake Griffin at OK.