Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Kermit Davis’ contract

730C2C86-20D1-43AD-8ED2-ACB592FB2016.jpeg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not disagree with any of the ten names for Pitt. But, no one, not John Wooden's reincarnation or Coach K, will win at Pitt unless more fundamental changes are made. The admin has to care. Right now it is not clear they do.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, ole Miss is really paying up.
Pastner doesn't even make it to $2.5MM in his last year of his contract at GT (will make $1.8MM this upcoming season) and as mentioned his money for staff is smaller.
This is partly why if he ultimately succeeds we will have to up his salary quite a bit.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Kermit Davis & his assistants are getting paid more than our staff, but people want us in the top half of the ACC & can't wait to use that extra hoops buyout money for football as soon as it's done being paid out.

I could be wrong but isn't Pastner's total compensation, including the memphis payments, about 2.5 mil overall? The way I look at it, for all his faults, MBob did a good job of recognizing an opportunity to get a decent coach at a discount and took advantage of Memphis' mistake and got Pastner to take less money for the opportunity to save face, which has worked out well for both parties, even more so with Memphis firing Tubby so soon and Pastner getting ACC CotY.

Our current payment is competitive with what we took on. It's on the back end but I think it's pretty obvious that if Pastner has success here his pay will ratchet up, especially once his memphis payments are done. Also, iirc our assistant coaching pay is pretty competitive overall with each of the assistants making about 250k and puts us on par in that area with UVA, VT, and the like, really only behind the blue bloods and NCSU

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
IIRC the final check to Hewitt is March 2019. So CJP "survives" :rolleyes: on $1.5 M this year with GT having a clean balance sheet at that point. He knew it when he signed the agreement so no one is being surprised or disappointed here. Should be far enough into the rebuild to make some determination on whether we are going to want to keep him or let the contract run out (with obviously lots of gray area in between).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IIRC the final check to Hewitt is March 2019. So CJP "survives" :rolleyes: on $1.5 M this year with GT having a clean balance sheet at that point. He knew it when he signed the agreement so no one is being surprised or disappointed here. Should be far enough into the rebuild to make some determination on whether we are going to want to keep him or let the contract run out (with obviously lots of gray area in between).

There's still time for GT to fire a coach and add additional dead weight salary to our budget...

..okay, too soon...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
No way he takes it. Heard Wes and Mark Packer on the ACC Network on XM this morning talking about if he shouldn't just stay at URI for another year since Pitt literally has two players on their roster that haven't asked to transfer and UConn may be going on probation. I bet he goes to UConn. Easier and quicker fix. Pitt is in a situation that could potentially be like where we've been the last decade, hire a cheap coach, get some okay players, but wind up around .500, maybe go to the NIT, probably not the NCAAs. They're likely going to have to go to a "less hot" mid major name and give some big guarantees. I mean, Stallings brought in 7 players this year, and MAYBE you're able to keep a couple of them, but they will need to bring in another 6 or 7 this year. They could conceivable go winless again in the ACC next year. Very interested to see who actually winds up taking that job.

One thing Packer said this morning was that coaches have egos, and someone is going to say "ACC, good school, no where to go but up, I can do that!" I'm just not sure who that coach is.

I will say that I like Pastner and understand "the process," so I think we're in better shape than we've been in for a while.

“Yes Sir, Pitt just offered this to me, can we talk about a lucrative extension”