Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Kruger wins 61% of his games. Most in **** conferences with other coaches' recruits

Bennett wins 71% in ACC and briefly PAC 12.

Help me understand how Kruger is better???

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kruger wins 61% of his games. Most in **** conferences with other coaches' recruits

Bennett wins 71% in ACC and briefly PAC 12.

Help me understand how Kruger is better???

How many coaches have taken two different schools to the Final 4. But we'r just gonna poo-poo that and tout Bennett just .... because?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many coaches have taken two different schools to the Final 4. But we'r just gonna poo-poo that and tout Bennett just .... because?

It's not really just because. Outside of final four appearances Bennett has him beat in just about every category. That's not poo pooing Kruger. But he's had a 30+ year career most of those at major programs and he's only finished first in conference twice. Really good coach, but a step below elite, and Bennett is an elite coach. Dude's won 72% of his conference games in the hardest conference in the country.

And to answer your question 15 coaches have done that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's not really just because. Outside of final four appearances Bennett has him beat in just about every category. That's not poo pooing Kruger. But he's had a 30+ year career most of those at major programs and he's only finished first in conference twice. Really good coach, but a step below elite, and Bennett is an elite coach. Dude's won 72% of his conference games in the hardest conference in the country.

And to answer your question 15 coaches have done that.

First, I have a little beef with strahan so I'm kinda messin with him.

I do, however, believe Bennett is overrated as a coach. Will always have excellent regular season records, mediocre tournament success.

That's just how I feel.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I do, however, believe Bennett is overrated as a coach. Will always have excellent regular season records, mediocre tournament success.

Even so, Kruger isn't exactly a great comparison even so. Give Bennett 20 more years and he'll probably reach a final four or two as well.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you. I'm just railing against all the hype he receives which I don't think is deserved.
You're right in that his style is not really tailored for tournament success. You need a player or two capable of getting you a bucket when absolutely necessary. With that said winning the ACC multiple times with teams that don't have elite NBA talent or even elite recruits is pretty damn good. Imagine what he'd do with the talent that FSU has accumulated over the years that Leonard Hamilton wastes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the UVA fans and admin are crazy enough to let Bennett leave without a serious effort to keep him, I will be shocked. Whatever criticism you might have about his style, 30-2 is the best response. Kruger coached for a long time and was very successful. But he never had a single season record as good the one Bennett just delivered. What Kruger did was win big at several places. And go to the Final Four twice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If the UVA fans and admin are crazy enough to let Bennett leave without a serious effort to keep him, I will be shocked. Whatever criticism you might have about his style, 30-2 is the best response. Kruger coached for a long time and was very successful. But he never had a single season record as good the one Bennett just delivered. What Kruger did was win big at several places. And go to the Final Four twice.

Going to the final 4 trumps any regular season record.

And, to be clear, no one is saying VA wants him gone or shouldn't fight to keep him. What I'm saying is that he's an overrated coach and I'm tired of folks speaking of him as if he invented the game and has no flaws.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
roflmao.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, TB will have the ignominious marker of first #1 seed coach to lose to #16 seed in the Tournament, but I will take this all day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bennett_(basketball)

I mean, you're telling me you'd rather have one final 4 trip and a couple of 2nd round appearances over that. In case you're wondering what that looks like, let's have a little reminder that GT HAD THAT (shout out to @dtm1997 ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hewitt

If Pastner leaves GT with TB's record at UVA, I'm a Pastner fan for life.