Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he will hang around Tech until he can get a Div 1 job in Georgia. I think there is a real possibility CJP will be gone to much greener pastures in 4-5 years and our job will be open.

I don't know if the timeline would be that quick. Also, we'd have to see ridiculous success for CJP to move on to greener pastures and those pastures need to be open.

I'd be fine with it if that's the case, but what are the greener pastures he'd leave for?

Arizona, obviously. Kentucky, but he'd probably have needed to take us to the final 4 or multiple sweet 16s. UCLA maybe? Duke it out with Buzz for Texas A&M or Texas? Doubt UNC or dook go outside the family. Don't really see him as a B1G guy.

Let's not forget DLaB started his college playing career at FAMU and seems to be taking charge on some of our Florida recruiting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know if the timeline would be that quick. Also, we'd have to see ridiculous success for CJP to move on to greener pastures and those pastures need to be open.

I'd be fine with it if that's the case, but what are the greener pastures he'd leave for?

Arizona, obviously. Kentucky, but he'd probably have needed to take us to the final 4 or multiple sweet 16s. UCLA maybe? Duke it out with Buzz for Texas A&M or Texas? Doubt UNC or dook go outside the family. Don't really see him as a B1G guy.

Let's not forget DLaB started his college playing career at FAMU and seems to be taking charge on some of our Florida recruiting.
I think the type of success he would need is much less than you suggested. Let's say we start having 25-27 win seasons and Sweet 16 success, but still do not have the money to move him into the top tier of coaches salaries. Plus he is having to deal with our academic requirements to get access to the top players he needs to move us up. I think a big state university with deeper pockets would poach him and we would only be able to say good luck as he waved goodbye. I am not predicting that, but that is how I think he is likely to leave us.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the type of success he would need is much less than you suggested. Let's say we start having 25-27 win seasons and Sweet 16 success, but still do not have the money to move him into the top tier of coaches salaries. Plus he is having to deal with our academic requirements to get access to the top players he needs to move us up. I think a big state university with deeper pockets would poach him and we would only be able to say good luck as he waved goodbye. I am not predicting that, but that is how I think he is likely to leave us.

Money is a factor, but I think Pastner is looking to position himself for a top 10 job over making the most money. I just think that's how he's wired. Also, it's going to take a ton of effort to get us to the level you speak of multiple times.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think he will hang around Tech until he can get a Div 1 job in Georgia. I think there is a real possibility CJP will be gone to much greener pastures in 4-5 years and our job will be open.

I dunno man. We keep selling out games and he keeps pumping the fan base and the students continue to respond and we get some '18 kids, Hewitt is off the books in '19, Stansbury is going to show CJP some serious love.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope we are successful enough that someone wants to poach Pastner someday.

I agree with DTM there are not a ton of jobs Pastner will leave for. I also think he has his eyes on the NBA someday.

Rumor the last few years has been that FSU is looking to hire Andy Enfield (he was an asst at FSU) when Hamilton retires.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Pastner likes recruiting too much and likes having complete control too much to ever head to the NBA. I honestly think it's Arizona or bust.

With regard to a notion I didn't address, I don't know it needs to be DLaB, but if we keep this staff intact for any significant length of time, I'd be in favor of any of the current assistants getting a crack at the top spot if CJP were to leave and we've had significant prolonged success.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think Pastner likes recruiting too much and likes having complete control too much to ever head to the NBA. I honestly think it's Arizona or bust.

With regard to a notion I didn't address, I don't know it needs to be DLaB, but if we keep this staff intact for any significant length of time, I'd be in favor of any of the current assistants getting a crack at the top spot if CJP were to leave and we've had significant prolonged success.

I can see that. I just wonder if we will be successful enough for them to consider him before Miller leaves. I don't know why he ever would aside from running out of dry shirts but what's bigger than Arizona? They aren't Duke, Kansas Kentucky or UNC but they are right there at probably #5

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can see that. I just wonder if we will be successful enough for them to consider him before Miller leaves. I don't know why he ever would aside from running out of dry shirts but what's bigger than Arizona? They aren't Duke, Kansas Kentucky or UNC but they are right there at probably #5
With him they may be #1.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With him they may be #1.
Tom Izzo right now...

IMG_1460.JPG

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming Pastner has the success that we are all hoping he has here, I am not sure that he leaves us without something extraordinary happening. I think this season was eye-opening for him and that he has truly embraced the academic atmosphere that is GT. Much like CPJ and the football team, I think Pastner has really enjoyed the type of athletes we have here vs the types that the factories pressure their coaches to get. He has openly said multiple times that he wants to model us after Mike Brey and ND and follow the get old, stay old mantra, but with the added benefit of a couple Burger Boys thrown in for good measure. He seems like the intensely loyal type and I think he is truly grateful to GT for giving him a shot at redemption and a second chance. He was so stubborn and loyal to Memphis that he stuck it out despite how miserable his job had become and the depression that it caused him to sink into. I am not saying that he would never leave us voluntarily, but I feel that as long as we keep his salary in line with the success that he achieves here, he will politely decline any offer short of a UM/Harbaugh type market shatterer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll also add that if Pastner continues to exceed expectations i expect GT will have the money deal with that over the next couple of years.
This year we have $1.4MM going to previous coaches. Next season it will be $900K and then it is done completely.

So within 2 yrs we should have some funds available to up salaries if need be.

It likely also helps that Pastner will be getting another $625K from Memphis this season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Arizona is a top flight program. Sean Miller is a hot name and may move on. His entire career = 0 Final Fours.

Syracuse is falling back to earth. Jim Boeheim is on the decline. Last 5 years = 2 Final Fours.

View attachment 2415

I tend to think Miller is overrated but, if that opinion means I have to somehow tout Bayhime, then I change my mind.