Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope not - recognizing the risk of a guy who hasn't coached in college at all. The upside is he pursued this for 18 years in the NBA so it is a long held passion more than a short term fling.

I will say Ewing has won the press conference for sure. Yesterday at Georgetown and he got 10 + minutes on Mike and Mike this morning. That type of exposure is priceless and something Georgetown hasn't had in a while.

I will be rooting for him and really looking forward to seeing the staff he can put together.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I hope not - recognizing the risk of a guy who hasn't coached in college at all. The upside is he pursued this for 18 years in the NBA so it is a long held passion more than a short term fling.

I will say Ewing has won the press conference for sure. Yesterday at Georgetown and he got 10 + minutes on Mike and Mike this morning. That type of exposure is priceless and something Georgetown hasn't had in a while.

I will be rooting for him and really looking forward to seeing the staff he can put together.
;)(y)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Why root for him? Realistically, I always (well, I kinda) see Georgetown as an entity that has to operate in the same space as us. Similar recruits, etc. I want him to fall flat on his face for that reason.

One thing I heard someone say w.r.t. Ewing and NBA-lifers going back to college was that, in order for college coaches to be successful, they have to recruit like assistants. Meaning, they gotta be willing to go wherever, whenever, how ever to get the recruits they want. That's not a life Ewing has ever experienced and the thought was that, at his age, that would/could get old really fast. Even Danny Manning proved it on a lower level and as a college asst before landing at Wake. All in all, the jury is still out on his prospects there.

Now, can Ewing be the figurehead like Bayhime, Roy, etc.? Perhaps. But he'll have to have day 1 success on-court otherwise it'll be tough for assistants to sell his vision. The UNC's and Duke's of the world are machines that recruit to themselves to a degree. Georgetown doesn't have that cache anymore.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I liked Ewing when I was younger mostly because LJ went to the NYK and is my favorite player ever.

That said, behind Duke, GTown is probably the program I despise the most in the NCAA.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This hot take is useless until Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith weigh in with their hot takes.
;)
Skip Bayless said Georgetown is racist because they didn't hire a white man and Stephen A. Smith said Georgetown is racist because Ewing is not black enough to be considered a minority Head Coach because he went to Georgetown.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why root for him? Realistically, I always (well, I kinda) see Georgetown as an entity that has to operate in the same space as us. Similar recruits, etc. I want him to fall flat on his face for that reason.

One thing I heard someone say w.r.t. Ewing and NBA-lifers going back to college was that, in order for college coaches to be successful, they have to recruit like assistants. Meaning, they gotta be willing to go wherever, whenever, how ever to get the recruits they want. That's not a life Ewing has ever experienced and the thought was that, at his age, that would/could get old really fast. Even Danny Manning proved it on a lower level and as a college asst before landing at Wake. All in all, the jury is still out on his prospects there.

Now, can Ewing be the figurehead like Bayhime, Roy, etc.? Perhaps. But he'll have to have day 1 success on-court otherwise it'll be tough for assistants to sell his vision. The UNC's and Duke's of the world are machines that recruit to themselves to a degree. Georgetown doesn't have that cache anymore.

Why root for him? - I liked him and the way he played in college and the pros. He worked and played hard. I also had a daughter who was an athlete at Georgetown. Spent a ton of time there. Wondered at times why I didn't go there instead of having a housing project with bars on the windows for a dorm when I went to GT.

No question the transition from the pro game to the college game is a huge issue. Especially recruiting. I am not as worried about the work load as he has been a grinder in the NBA for what 18 years? I am more worried that he is not a really glib person and the selling aspect of recruiting is not going to come naturally. My bet is if he can get a kid on the roster he can coach them up reasonably well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I know a good asst coach in Tallahassee that could be perfect for this opening.

Also, am I the only one that's concerned for Ewing's health. In every picture of him I see, he looks sick.