Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Normally I'm a big proponent of going for it on 4th down, but with Harvin, I'm inclined to let great punts give us opportunities like this one:

I watched this game again. Sorry Augusta, this was one of CPJ's games he could have put away, but just did not.

I agree that the punt game changed the outcome. The kick to the one that resulted in a safety and a free kick return. And the shanked punt that resulted in a fumble.

However, a death march resulting in a touchdown puts the game away in the end of the fourth quarter. Did not happen. I recall being at the game realizing the last drive need to be a touchdown with no time on the clock.

Instead, a long field goal. Then in overtime, could not convert a first down. Tech was lucky to win the game.

Not attacking CPJ or his legacy. I enjoyed the TO. And CPJ's attitude. In my book he goes down as a great coach and will have his name on the stadium somewhere someday.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Easily pick the GT talent over bama talent that year. I did mention how good 2 of the bama players were.

If I remember, most played both ways then and GT had FOUR on the LOS scrimmage that played in the NFL. Not to mention the others. We should have lost, maybe, one game before playing bama. Tying an FSU team back then was almost as bad as curry losing / tying to Furman in the 80s.

As for 64 we easily had better talent than ut & ugag then. Easily. People should not confuse those teams in the early to mid 60s with where they are now.

Dodd was almost delusional as regards scheduling. It was almost as if he thought every opponent should come here. Sports does not work that way. Look at the 52 schedule.

And if not going to Miss. to play was due to $, and he made more by playing another team here - what happen to all the $ he cornered the market on? And going to duke back then was more $ than Miss.? As Dodd said to Vaught during a press function before the 71 Peach Bowl - “the reason I didn’t want to play you there is you would have beat the hell out of me.”

If money was the reason for not playing there, then why could the argument not be made now we should only play at CU or ugag? Why shouldn’t WFU and puke play almost every game on the road now? As said, that is not how sports should be played.

Dodd was a great coach and did a lot for GT. But WE had better talent than bama in 62 and much better than ut & ugag in 64.

But days gone now. Stay cool this summer!

Interesting perspective, and one I never had a clue about. Thanks for putting this out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I watched this game again. Sorry Augusta, this was one of CPJ's games he could have put away, but just did not.

I agree that the punt game changed the outcome. The kick to the one that resulted in a safety and a free kick return. And the shanked punt that resulted in a fumble.

However, a death march resulting in a touchdown puts the game away in the end of the fourth quarter. Did not happen. I recall being at the game realizing the last drive need to be a touchdown with no time on the clock.

Instead, a long field goal. Then in overtime, could not convert a first down. Tech was lucky to win the game.

Not attacking CPJ or his legacy. I enjoyed the TO. And CPJ's attitude. In my book he goes down as a great coach and will have his name on the stadium somewhere someday.

I was there too. If you rewatch the whole game, you will see Camp was held on the incompletion on the 3rd and 7 play of the last drive. CPJ had the right call, but UVA got away with one. On the final UVA drive in regulation, the WR got the benefit of catching a ball off his knee out of bounds called a completion. On their game tying field goal, our ST got a hand on the ball but it wobbled through the uprights anyways. UVA was lucky to even be playing for overtime. Luck, and calls, bounce both ways. CPJ made enough right calls to win. Luck is involved in most close games.

However, my post was in reference to the punting brilliance of Harvin, which is undisputed.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was not a good coach. Idk why this continues to be a debate. Pick whatever parameters you want.
I think half his appeal to this board is that he's a grumpy, stubborn, non-PC boomer. That has zero appeal to me as a 25 year old, but whatever - I don't judge a coach on their attitude and temperament.

As someone who is a Patriots fan, the most infuriating thing to me was the amount of aggressive playcalling CPJ would do. Whereas Bill Belichick is very analytical, CPJ called a game solely through his heart and would never consult probability charts or expected value - again, very old school and stubborn. Consistently every game I would find myself muttering "we shouldn't be going for it here" or "take the points PJ, it's the first ****ing half" or "no need to go for 2 here, tons of time left, stop chasing points now - we can figure out where things stand in the 4th quarter." That kind of gambling is fine when you're playing Clemson or Alabama and you need to gamble to have a chance at winning the game, but we lost more games on raw coaching decisions than we won in my time at a GT fan.

I don't know any teams who do this but I've always felt head coaches should hire a football strategist to take any load off them when it comes to end-of-game/end-of-half time management, 2 point conversions, 4th down conversions, etc...just a dude who stands next to him with a chart of probabilities/expected values and crunches numbers. I've seen scenarios like coaches just letting opponents run the clock down and kick 19 yard GW FGs when they should be letting the opponent score so they can get the ball back with time left to win.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Mendenhall was a Paul Johnson killer. His defenses always played very well against Paul. Paul barely beat him this time but he won thanks to the fieldgoal kicker.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was not a good coach. Idk why this continues to be a debate. Pick whatever parameters you want.
You pick the parameters that tells us why he was not good coach. If you want to say he didn't have good assistant coaches the last few years that I would agree with that statement. But to say a coach who was a head coach 22 years won 189 for an avg of 8.5 per year than 90% of the coaches are not good.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Amazing coaches like: Dan Hawkins, Lane Kiffin, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, Bo Pelini, and Rich Brooks were able to beat them during those years.

CPJ lost to their three worst post-Goff teams including once with maybe our most talented team of the modern era.
And '14 and '16? How'd ugags talent compare to ours? What were ugags recruiting rankings in say '12 and'13 vs ours? What were the draftees in comparison? It's fine to be blinded by anti Johnson hate, but to be oblivious to facts is a bit more problematic.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And '14 and '16? How'd ugags talent compare to ours? What were ugags recruiting rankings in say '12 and'13 vs ours? What were the draftees in comparison? It's fine to be blinded by anti Johnson hate, but to be oblivious to facts is a bit more problematic.

How did Vandy, Kentucky, UCF, Colorado, etc. talent compare to them those years?

CPJ lost to FOUR UGAg teams that couldn't finish in the top 25. Those teams lost a combined 20 games. The last coach lucky enough to play four UGA teams that ended up unranked was Bobby Dodd.

Richt should have been canned after 3IAR in 2010. They probably wouldn't have made a hire as good as Kirby and who knows where things would be now.

Blown opportunity.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How did Vandy, Kentucky, UCF, Colorado, etc. talent compare to them those years?

CPJ lost to FOUR UGAg teams that couldn't finish in the top 25. Those teams lost a combined 20 games. The last coach lucky enough to play four UGA teams that ended up unranked was Bobby Dodd.

Richt should have been canned after 3IAR in 2010. They probably wouldn't have made a hire as good as Kirby and who knows where things would be now.

Blown opportunity.
As a long time Tech observer, Georgia always has had a psychological advantage over Tech. They tend to play their best games against Tech and almost always assume they are going to win. Their winning percentage against Tech is "proof" to them that they are always the better team.

Tech, on the other hand, is always trying to get the monkey off its back against Georgia. I have watched Tech lose games against Georgia that they should have won by every coach going back to Dodd. Can't say the same about Georgia coaches during that time span playing against Tech. The monkey on their back was usually against Florida or Alabama.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
As a long time Tech observer, Georgia always has had a psychological advantage over Tech. They tend to play their best games against Tech and almost always assume they are going to win. Their winning percentage against Tech is "proof" to them that they are always the better team.

Tech, on the other hand, is always trying to get the monkey off its back against Georgia. I have watched Tech lose games against Georgia that they should have won by every coach going back to Dodd. Can't say the same about Georgia coaches during that time span playing against Tech. The monkey on their back was usually against Florida or Alabama.

Well said but the “psychological advantage” they may have is actually a statement of priorities and goals.

In 1964, Dodd / GT fans / the Institute had EVERY single advantage over ugag. Stadium size, money (except Dodd / Harrison had the year before cut our own throats by dropping out of sec), recruiting success, location, media coverage, exposure, coaching staff - everything.

In 64 ugag hired an unknown dooley and he simply declared that their number one goal was to beat GT. Not uf, au, bama, ut, cu, usc but GT. Conference game or not. Every single year he coached there, despite the records, he said the GT game was the most important game of the year.

We started trying to sell fans in this state that beating teams like uva was more important. We were wrong and I pray to God CGC understands this simple truth.

Animal02

Banned
You pick the parameters that tells us why he was not good coach. If you want to say he didn't have good assistant coaches the last few years that I would agree with that statement. But to say a coach who was a head coach 22 years won 189 for an avg of 8.5 per year than 90% of the coaches are not good.
I had thought about replying to that post.....but then figured why bother....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well said but the “psychological advantage” they may have is actually a statement of priorities and goals.

In 1964, Dodd / GT fans / the Institute had EVERY single advantage over ugag. Stadium size, money (except Dodd / Harrison had the year before cut our own throats by dropping out of sec), recruiting success, location, media coverage, exposure, coaching staff - everything.

In 64 ugag hired an unknown dooley and he simply declared that their number one goal was to beat GT. Not uf, au, bama, ut, cu, usc but GT. Conference game or not. Every single year he coached there, despite the records, he said the GT game was the most important game of the year.

We started trying to sell fans in this state that beating teams like uva was more important. We were wrong and I pray to God CGC understands this simple truth.
Yep.

Someone can check the record on this but my memory was that going into the 1966 game Georgia had a slight lead in the series. After 66 the series got out of hand very quickly.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This thread is s good example of why I spend very little time on the board recently. I'm excited about the new staff but every thread is full of fonts crapping on Johnson.

I guess I'll tune back in the fall when we have actual football to talk about

This thread started as one crapping on the new staff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have been slow to embrace academic support for players.

We as donors and ticket purchasers continue to .... well not so much.

Remember when Texas A M was the whipping boy for Texas.

Here s a chart that shows how great the last COACH was at making victories out of what he had. One donor at Texas AM paid for the buy out to fire their head coach and FSU coach. They have lots of partipation by young alumni in donation

The good thing is their grads are even more obnoxious that ga tech alumni and only 11 players are allowed on the field.

Donate!
knightcommission-report.png

ScGold

Banned

Why will his name be on a stadium? What did he do that warrants that?