Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No, as is clear from the record attendance in the spring game and the declining attendance the past few years, he had absolutely "lost the fanbase" - at least a decent % of it. I was at the embarrassing UVA game last fall that was barely half-attended - were you?

And again, how much money did PJ need to hop into his car and recruit metro ATL, something that numerous area HS coaches agree wasn't happening? It's another repeated, incorrect excuse for lazy recruiting. No argument about no-money-for-national-recruiting but to ignore the local schools is just lazy.

I've dropped over 50K on Georgia Tech in my lifetime. Your finger pointing is as hilarious as it is ignorant. More excuse making.
!. So a lot of people showed up to see how a new coach was going to work with the team. I'm shocked. But this means nothing. And, yes, I was at the UVA game, but I wasn't embarrassed. I'm never embarrassed at Tech games. I bet a lot of people were when we won and they didn't show up, however.

2. Paul, like all football coaches at his level, was a CEO. You go to where you can a) get recruits you can get into school and b) where you have the money to follow up. I applaud Coach going around to see high schools we didn't recruit heavily before, but he has the cash to make it a feasible use of resources. I also see why Paul didn't do it and it has nothing to do with being "lazy". I also see why Coach may not do as much of it in the future; we have one (1) recruit from below I-20 this year. You have to go where you think you'll find players who'll help out and that you can get into school. Coach seems to think he can get around this. I hope he's right, but we'll see.

3. On the football program? Still, I had no idea you put so much cash on the line. My apologies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone should start a thread on the level of hatred felt by fans toward each former head football coach. I personally never hated any of our former coaches but I did have a certain amount of contempt for one coach who shall not be named.

I first became aware of the hate factor during Bud Carson 's time. Since then I saw it play out with ever single coach at one time or another. What is it about our fan base that we eat our own? Does anybody know?

Anyway, would love to see a thread on this that attempts to get at answers. Meanwhile I will just marvel at the hatred toward CPJ who brought us levels of success we had not seen in years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Someone should start a thread on the level of hatred felt by fans toward each former head football coach. I personally never hated any of our former coaches but I did have a certain amount of contempt for one coach who shall not be named.

I first became aware of the hate factor during Bud Carson 's time. Since then I saw it play out with ever single coach at one time or another. What is it about our fan base that we eat our own? Does anybody know?

Anyway, would love to see a thread on this that attempts to get at answers. Meanwhile I will just marvel at the hatred toward CPJ who brought us levels of success we had not seen in years.
I think this is bog standard when there's a coaching transition. Usually, when any head of an organization has initial success, there's an outburst of support. Then, as the success fades, even if not by much or for good reason, there's a reaction by some of the people who made an "investment" in the person in charge. They begin to try to find reasons for disliking how the organization is run and blaming the CEO for it. If there is still no change - usually because the board doesn't think there should be - their frustration grows.

You could see this in 2015. Everyone was expecting another good year, then we got hit by the injury tsunami. And everyone was upset. Except those who wanted Paul gone. They immediately began a "next man up", "no excuses" campaign that increased in volume as the losses did. And they looked forward with anticipation to 2016.

And had the cup dashed from their lips as we went 9 - 4, beat Ugag, and curb stomped Kentucky in our bowl game. Then the 2017 season gave them another opportunity. And then we won 7 in 2018 and went to a bowl (disappointing, that) again. But, if you remember, there were a lot of "it's time for Johnson to go" posts after we lost three early on and virtually no congratulations for the team as they pulled themselves off the floor, tromped VT, then beat Miami and UVA to go 7 - 5. As I've said before, I think this attitude from some of our fans was the main reason Paul quit; he didn't think there was anyway to turn them around, even with another 9 win season. I hate to say it, but I think he was right.

Well, the people who wanted Paul gone got their wish and now we are on a new course. We don't know yet if it will be a successful one, but, given the record of Tech coaches, there's no reason to think it won't be, provided we give Coach a chance. The jury is out on all of this until next year and we will probably have some problems. But we may do much better then expected. Coach knows what he's doing and has led teams to winning seasons before.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
!. So a lot of people showed up to see how a new coach was going to work with the team. I'm shocked. But this means nothing. And, yes, I was at the UVA game, but I wasn't embarrassed. I'm never embarrassed at Tech games. I bet a lot of people were when we won and they didn't show up, however.

2. Paul, like all football coaches at his level, was a CEO. You go to where you can a) get recruits you can get into school and b) where you have the money to follow up. I applaud Coach going around to see high schools we didn't recruit heavily before, but he has the cash to make it a feasible use of resources. I also see why Paul didn't do it and it has nothing to do with being "lazy". I also see why Coach may not do as much of it in the future; we have one (1) recruit from below I-20 this year. You have to go where you think you'll find players who'll help out and that you can get into school. Coach seems to think he can get around this. I hope he's right, but we'll see.

3. On the football program? Still, I had no idea you put so much cash on the line. My apologies.

1. The attendance was embarrassing. The game, primarily won by ST, was extremely exciting and frankly, (we didn't know it at the time), a good last-home-game for PJ, as all 3 phases chipped in for the W. I should've clarified, apologies. While Spring-Game-Attendance isn't a barometer of a lost fan base, increased season ticket sales absolutely is. I'm not shocked by this, as it was clear PJ had lost a decent chunk of the fanbase. I don't recall us ever being as divided as we were in fall, 2018. Not for B*** L**** nor Gailey.

2. PJ was not a CEO. CEOs don't tend to be as hands-on as PJ was, at least on the O side of the ball. Which is fine - that's his style, etc, but he wasn't a CEO. More of a Field General IMO. I don't see why PJ didn't recruit metro ATL more. Kind of a wasted resource that cost gas money to recruit.

3. Apology accepted. I'm both an alum and was a longtime season ticket holder before life got in the way. We both want the same thing at the end of the day!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hate no coaches. I think there was only 1 colossal mistake in coaching choices and it was one I lamented from the beginning. I will never say or type his name. He was the absolute downfall of the GT program when it had the opportunity to rise to it's previous level again. Since then, we've struggled to reach the previously achieved elevation.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
2. PJ was not a CEO. CEOs don't tend to be as hands-on as PJ was, at least on the O side of the ball. Which is fine - that's his style, etc, but he wasn't a CEO. More of a Field General IMO.
I agree CPJ was not a CEO ( like Dabo someone who let their coordinators run the game ) But I really don't think CGC is going to be an CEO type of coach. If you listen to him he keeps saying DB's (more CB's) are his baby and he will coach them. I really liked CPJ. But I also like what I have seen about CGC and the rest of the coaching staff. I can't believe anyone could find a more energized coaching staff.

I see most Tech fans falling in 2 groups.

1) This will be a good coaching staff till the prove me wrong
2) I have no idea if they are good they will need to prove to me they are good.

I'm more of 1 I have faith in them unless they prove they can't.

The real question is how long will it take to prove they are good or not ? And this is the question everyone will disagree .
I can see an uptick in recruiting but my fear is if we have 2 bad years recruiting will not be as good as we hope. Does anyone really believe Alabama gets recruits because Saban is so fun or a person or he makes practice fun , or because they win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I hate no coaches. I think there was only 1 colossal mistake in coaching choices and it was one I lamented from the beginning. I will never say or type his name. He was the absolute downfall of the GT program when it had the opportunity to rise to it's previous level again. Since then, we've struggled to reach the previously achieved elevation.

I hat no coaches either, including the nameless one you refer to. I do, however, hold a certain former coach under great contempt for the way he treated players at both GT and his future gig.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree CPJ was not a CEO ( like Dabo someone who let their coordinators run the game ) But I really don't think CGC is going to be an CEO type of coach. If you listen to him he keeps saying DB's (more CB's) are his baby and he will coach them. I really liked CPJ. But I also like what I have seen about CGC and the rest of the coaching staff. I can't believe anyone could find a more energized coaching staff.

The real question is how long will it take to prove they are good or not ? And this is the question everyone will disagree .
I can see an uptick in recruiting but my fear is if we have 2 bad years recruiting will not be as good as we hope. Does anyone really believe Alabama gets recruits because Saban is so fun or a person or he makes practice fun , or because they win.
Yep, immediate accomplishments of some kind may become important to long term recruiting success. I think you are right about Alabama. Recruits and players alike do report Saban as a warm fuzzy, do not like the extra baby sitting they get, and absolutely hate the uniforms. But they go there because they see it as the shortest path to the NFL.

Animal02

Banned

Yes....that is why I mentioned a tipping point in another thread....there is a point where the hype will not overcome poor record.....I hope we never reach it.
I do think CPJ walked that line a couple times too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What the hell does it matter it's in the past , why can't we just enjoy our new coaching staff without looking for something bad to say about CPJ.

+1

I mean, just damn people, why crap on CPJ or CCG, etc. (it's okay to crap on B*** L****), let it go and cheer for the new regime!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yep, immediate accomplishments of some kind may become important to long term recruiting success. I think you are right about Alabama. Recruits and players alike do report Saban as a warm fuzzy, do not like the extra baby sitting they get, and absolutely hate the uniforms. But they go there because they see it as the shortest path to the NFL.
Agree with everything but the last statement. They go to Alabama for two main reasons: 1. Prestige. Getting an offer from Alabama feeds their egos like no other. It is the same reason why really smart people and academically minded SA’s go to Stanford or Notre Dame over us. Never ever under estimate the power of ego, especially in athletes.

The other is a chance for a championship and to be on TV and all the sport shows 24 seven. Guess what... more ego stroking.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with everything but the last statement. They go to Alabama for two main reasons: 1. Prestige. Getting an offer from Alabama feeds their egos like no other. It is the same reason why really smart people and academically minded SA’s go to Stanford or Notre Dame over us. Never ever under estimate the power of ego, especially in athletes.

The other is a chance for a championship and to be on TV and all the sport shows 24 seven. Guess what... more ego stroking.

Stanford is a better STEM school than us by basically any measure (and they kill us in non-STEM stuff), especially if you're not paying full freight tuition. Notre Dame is a totally different thing that isn't really comparable.

Just because someone didn't make the same decision as you doesn't mean they're driven by ego. An elite football prospect going to UA or Clemson is a perfectly rational decision based on their skills and goals.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Stanford is a better STEM school than us by basically any measure (and they kill us in non-STEM stuff), especially if you're not paying full freight tuition. Notre Dame is a totally different thing that isn't really comparable.

Just because someone didn't make the same decision as you doesn't mean they're driven by ego. An elite football prospect going to UA or Clemson is a perfectly rational decision based on their skills and goals.
I agree there are exceptions to every rule. In my opinion, take it for what it's worth, it's a big factor for a large portion of them.