Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I presume you are talking exclusively about offensive adjustments in regard to the previous regime. Because lord knows I don't remember us out-coaching anyone or making successful adjustments defensively. This staff should be light years better on that side of the ball, no question. And that is no small thing!

One of the maddening things about GT fandom the last few years was that we all just casually accepted that we need an offensive genius mastermind at the helm because we need to score on every possession to win. What if that wasn't the case?

Yes. I am optimistic this staff can coach.

Last edited:

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I presume you are talking exclusively about offensive adjustments in regard to the previous regime. Because lord knows I don't remember us out-coaching anyone or making successful adjustments defensively. This staff should be light years better on that side of the ball, no question.
Agreed - the two most painful aspects of the last decade were the absence of an effective defensive and some inexplicable personnel decisions...

Again, this is not yet another "past good, future bad" post - all I was asking was for some evidence that the new staff can win coaching battles... If it isn't there, then fine - we'll see how things go...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Agreed - the two most painful aspects of the last decade were the absence of an effective defensive and some inexplicable personnel decisions...

Again, this is not yet another "past good, future bad" post - all I was asking was for some evidence that the new staff can win coaching battles... If it isn't there, then fine - we'll see how things go...

I mean, I really don't know what you would accept as evidence for that. It is kind of a vague question.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
As long as we don't try to death march it when we're down 21 pts in the 4th qtr, I'll be happy.
I loved the death marches, but it's been a pretty good while since I've seen us do one. Well we kinda had one against Miami year, but part of that was a long pass completion.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You’re giving Paul a ton of credit. He made some great in game adjustments early in his tenure. He also blew more three score leads than any coach in Tech history (by a very very wide margin). Kind of odd given the system was supposed to be built to win with a lead don’t you think?

Listen, I love what the guy did for Tech. I also witnessed some of the worst meltdowns I’ve ever seen. 2012 Miami and 2013 georgia are the two that stick out.

None of this is to say Paul couldn’t coach. Let’s just be careful before we say that the new staff can’t live up to his level of in game coaching.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re giving Paul a ton of credit. He made some great in game adjustments early in his tenure. He also blew more three score leads than any coach in Tech history (by a very very wide margin). Kind of odd given the system was supposed to be built to win with a lead don’t you think?

Listen, I love what the guy did for Tech. I also witnessed some of the worst meltdowns I’ve ever seen. 2012 Miami and 2013 georgia are the two that stick out.

None of this is to say Paul couldn’t coach. Let’s just be careful before we say that the new staff can’t live up to his level of in game coaching.

This is a great example of a post containing anecdotal evidence that the facts do not support.

CPJ teams at GT blew 2 games with 3 TD leads. 2015 vs UNC and 2013 vs uga. Ironically, in the 2012 UM game, GT stormed back from being down by 19 to being up by 17 before losing. I guess you could lump this game in with the other two.

If three games is more than any other coach in GT history (by a very very wide margin) then we have had some great coaching along the years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our HC, DC, and OC all came from temple. There is a full year's worth of their in game coaching all at the same place.

Also people over blow how good Johnson was at in game adjustments. He had his moments of brilliance and was good overall but he wasn't far and away ahead of the pack like some pretended. That was in part because adjustments aren't just being able to see what needs to be done, but also having the players prepared to do what the adjustments required. He was real good at one of those two things. This was especially true as the years went on here and offensive minds around him caught up.
I don’t think his inability to implement the full complement of plays in his offense is related to poor preparation. That’s not even gameday coaching which is what we are discussing at this point.

Rather, it is a reflection of poor recruiting, or more accurately, bad luck with injuries and attrition. He simply didn’t have the players he needed with the skill sets required to implement the countermoves that would’ve been effective and had been effective in the past.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is a great example of a post containing anecdotal evidence that the facts do not support.

CPJ teams at GT blew 2 games with 3 TD leads. 2015 vs UNC and 2013 vs uga. Ironically, in the 2012 UM game, GT stormed back from being down by 19 to being up by 17 before losing. I guess you could lump this game in with the other two.

If three games is more than any other coach in GT history (by a very very wide margin) then we have had some great coaching along the years.

First, I said three scores, not three TDs. And I pulled the data and showed this analysis a few years back on this site. Feel free to go find it, but I’m not going to do it again just to start an internet argument.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
First, I said three scores, not three TDs. And I pulled the data and showed this analysis a few years back on this site. Feel free to go find it, but I’m not going to do it again just to start an internet argument.

Then define three scores. Three scores is typically meant as three TDs. If you want to get technical, three scores can mean anywhere from 6, 9, or 15 points.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
But simply saying generically 3 scores is being disingenuous. 6 points can be a 3 score game if you are referring to safeties, but can also be a 1 score game when referring to TDs... unless you agree that 3 scores implies anything over 16 points, you may be talking at cross purposes...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Then define three scores. Three scores is typically meant as three TDs. If you want to get technical, three scores can mean anywhere from 6, 9, or 15 points.
3 scores is pretty universally referred to as a deficit between 17 and 24. That’s because it would take a minimum of 3 offensive possessions to build that many points. Just like a 2 score game is somewhere between 9 and 16, and 1 score is anything that’s 8 or less.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
No it's not typically meant as three touchdowns and I hope the last part is sarcasm. Three scores starts at 17 points because it takes three scores.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I presume you are talking exclusively about offensive adjustments in regard to the previous regime. Because lord knows I don't remember us out-coaching anyone or making successful adjustments defensively. This staff should be light years better on that side of the ball, no question. And that is no small thing!

One of the maddening things about GT fandom the last few years was that we all just casually accepted that we need an offensive genius mastermind at the helm because we need to score on every possession to win. What if that wasn't the case?

Yes. I am optimistic this staff can coach.

Maddeningly, Roof made some effective adjustments but only at halftime.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO you won’t see the in game adjustments like we did with CPJ. Part of the reason is scheme. There will be wrinkles to take advantage of mismatches, but you really need elite talent to take full advantage of the spread scheme IMO. Defenses have changed because of the popularity of the spread. The big run stuffing defenses that the spread exposed are gone. If you can’t create mismatches it is going to be a long day. CPJ’s scheme did this by getting numbers.

Where did we see these in-game adjustments with PJ? Can you cite some examples? The only one that stands out to me is the decision to start throwing deep passes late in the 2nd half vs mutts in 2016. Starting Jordan @ VPI was a good move too but that was a pre-game decision.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Where did we see these in-game adjustments with PJ? Can you cite some examples? The only one that stands out to me is the decision to start throwing deep passes late in the 2nd half vs mutts in 2016. Starting Jordan @ VPI was a good move too but that was a pre-game decision.
A lot of the adjustments were internal to the scheme. Adjusting the splits we used on the O Line, adjusting the option keys based on what the D was doing and if a player was balling out. Adjusting the pitch relationship and speed we went north to south based on how the defense was lined up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the adjustments were internal to the scheme. Adjusting the splits we used on the O Line, adjusting the option keys based on what the D was doing and if a player was balling out. Adjusting the pitch relationship and speed we went north to south based on how the defense was lined up.
In 18 - we were desperate for wins against virginia and miami.
Came down to adjustments that coach made u could see in the g c g.
Miami- he baited the nose tackle who shot the gap to cream the qb ,but the call was a give to bb who went in for score. Similar things w virginia. Coach willed us to victory. Loved watching & would buy his book on the details of how/why he called plays on his favorite drives.