Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I loved Johnson’s three wins against UGAg but he lost four winnable games against them. We had an opportunity to rack up some wins against some mediocre uga teams and blew it.
Paul very easily could’ve had 6 wins over UGA.
2009 best Tech team since 1990 (at the time)
2010 Georgia was awful and would’ve missed a bowl with a Tech win.
2013 Aaron Murray gets hurt and we run up 20 on them and choke the game away.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

2010 hurt. That was Richt's worst team. We probably extended his tenure several years by failing to beat them that year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Let’s not forget 2015. As bad as we were we held them to 13 points. An offensive guru shouldn’t be losing games when only allowing 13.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I just went back and looked at all the games from 2008 to 2018. My tally remains. GT blew 3 games where we had a 17 point lead at any point in the game. 3. Even if no coach at GT EVER blew a 17 point lead, 3 is hardly a very very wide margin.

I found my old post where I did the research.

In fact, we've only blown leads of 17+ eight times since 1950. Three have happened under PJ: 2015 UNC, 2013 Georgia, 2012 Miami.

This is a bit baffling. We are a team that prides itself on ball control and holding leads, yet we've blown three score leads three times in the past four seasons...this has to get corrected one way or another.

In 69 years we’ve blown 17+ point leads 8 times. Three of those occurred in the last 10 years...including the largest blown lead in Tech history in the 2013 georgia game.

Honorable mention: 2014 GSU game saw a 28 point lead vanish only to avoid defeat due to a miracle fumble on a completely unnecessary pitch on their part.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

In 69 years we’ve blown 17+ point leads 8 times. Three of those occurred in the last 10 years...including the largest blown lead in Tech history in the 2013 georgia game.

Honorable mention: 2014 GSU game saw a 28 point lead vanish only to avoid defeat due to a miracle fumble on a completely unnecessary pitch on their part.
Thanks for the data.
Going to games since mid 14, i have seen us be close and seem to have a good win chance if could hold them. The bend broke when the quit taking the gimme short pass and just sent best pass receiver ( miami) or tight end (unc) long . They just out athleted us.
Imo, they were taking what we gave them because they were pretty sure they could score one or 2 times w out us adjusting.
Needed a few more jump high run fast guys. The guys that made the plays ( mia and unc ) are in nfl

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, you mean a coach who couldn't recruit who entered those games out starred to the extreme, made a game out of it? Hmmm

Amazing coaches like: Dan Hawkins, Lane Kiffin, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, Bo Pelini, and Rich Brooks were able to beat them during those years.

CPJ lost to their three worst post-Goff teams including once with maybe our most talented team of the modern era.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

In 1961, Coach Dodd blew a 15 point lead, I think, against Alabama. He turned around the next year at Grant Field and beat a far better Tide team with a one point lead. It's a funny game sometimes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I've gone back to 2002, so the other 5 games should be prior to that. That doesn't shock me that so few occured as the college game WRT offenses really exploded in the late 90's. In 2002, the average college team scored 26 points per game. By 2016, that had risen to 30 PPG. With the advent of fast paced spread offenses and new rules favoring QBs and WRs, it's really not shocking that more would happen now than 69 years ago, when 14-7 was a common final score. Again, I don't disagree with your numbers, but rather your interpretation. It's not an apples to apples comparison to put CPJs numbers up against coaches 30+ years ago. Saying he blew more three score leads by a "wide wide margin" when the grand total was three is disingenuous.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I've gone back to 2002, so the other 5 games should be prior to that. That doesn't shock me that so few occured as the college game WRT offenses really exploded in the late 90's. In 2002, the average college team scored 26 points per game. By 2016, that had risen to 30 PPG. With the advent of fast paced spread offenses and new rules favoring QBs and WRs, it's really not shocking that more would happen now than 69 years ago, when 14-7 was a common final score. Again, I don't disagree with your numbers, but rather your interpretation. It's not an apples to apples comparison to put CPJs numbers up against coaches 30+ years ago. Saying he blew more three score leads by a "wide wide margin" when the grand total was three is disingenuous.
I’m not so sure it is disingenuous. We could go look up who the coaches were. I’m pretty sure Pepper was one. Let’s say it turns out no one else blew more than one. Would 300% more than any other coach be considered not significant?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not so sure it is disingenuous. We could go look up who the coaches were. I’m pretty sure Pepper was one. Let’s say it turns out no one else blew more than one. Would 300% more than any other coach be considered not significant?

Considering the volume? Yes. Your reply also begs the question, do you not know who the other coaches were? You stated that he blew more games by a "wide wide margin." How could you state that if you don't know which other coaches blew games and how many? I'd stipulate that if the number was 30 vs 10, you might be right, even giving the differences in the college game today. 3 vs 1 or 2 is hardly a significant margin, unless you CHOOSE to look at it from a percentage. Not all stats are meaningful, and this one is next to useless.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
At a minimum, you'd have to convert it to a rate stat. CPJ coached more games than any of those post-Dodd guys, too, in both # of seasons and games/season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The year was 1960 not 1961 and the Jackets lost 5 games by 11 points. Defense was not the problem. The problem was not having an effective quarterback until Billy Lothridge came along in 1961.

As to your previous reference to GT vs bama in 1962 - bama was a " far better team" how so?

By ranking? Bama was #1, so yes.

By athletes? Disagree. GT had at least 7 players, I can recall off top of my head, on that team that went to NFL. bama had 2, maybe 3, that went (although 2 were Very good).

And the NFL had far fewer teams & players then. If you made a roster at all it was very special.

Dodd was also loaded in 64 and should have never lost 3 iar to end the season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, Tech lost to unranked LSU and unranked Auburn and the week before they played Alabama they tied an unranked FSU team. Sure, the Jackets had talent they just about always did with Dodd. But who would you pick: a team with Joe Namath and Lee Roy Jordan (whom the Bear said was pound for pound the best player he ever coached) along with Bill Battle, Ray Ogden, Cotton Clark and others or a team that lost three games that year and struggled to score. Granted, Bear was worried about the rain and Dodd's game day coaching and he should have been but they were number one and playing an unranked Tech team albeit one that Dodd said had his best offensive line.

As far as 1964 goes, playing Tennessee, Alabama, and UGA in a row would have tested the mettle of any team even one with All American Bill Curry at center and linebacker. Playing Alabama in 1962 was bad enough but it could have been worse. Ole Miss was undefeated that year. Good thing Dodd refused to play them because of Hemingway Stadium in Oxford only having a capacity of 25,000 and Dodd wanted to make money. Going to Oxford and Starkville was not going to fill up the piggy bank in those days.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, Tech lost to unranked LSU and unranked Auburn and the week before they played Alabama they tied an unranked FSU team. Sure, the Jackets had talent they just about always did with Dodd. But who would you pick: a team with Joe Namath and Lee Roy Jordan (whom the Bear said was pound for pound the best player he ever coached) along with Bill Battle, Ray Ogden, Cotton Clark and others or a team that lost three games that year and struggled to score. Granted, Bear was worried about the rain and Dodd's game day coaching and he should have been but they were number one and playing an unranked Tech team albeit one that Dodd said had his best offensive line.

As far as 1964 goes, playing Tennessee, Alabama, and UGA in a row would have tested the mettle of any team even one with All American Bill Curry at center and linebacker. Playing Alabama in 1962 was bad enough but it could have been worse. Ole Miss was undefeated that year. Good thing Dodd refused to play them because of Hemingway Stadium in Oxford only having a capacity of 25,000 and Dodd wanted to make money. Going to Oxford and Starkville was not going to fill up the piggy bank in those days.

Easily pick the GT talent over bama talent that year. I did mention how good 2 of the bama players were.

If I remember, most played both ways then and GT had FOUR on the LOS scrimmage that played in the NFL. Not to mention the others. We should have lost, maybe, one game before playing bama. Tying an FSU team back then was almost as bad as curry losing / tying to Furman in the 80s.

As for 64 we easily had better talent than ut & ugag then. Easily. People should not confuse those teams in the early to mid 60s with where they are now.

Dodd was almost delusional as regards scheduling. It was almost as if he thought every opponent should come here. Sports does not work that way. Look at the 52 schedule.

And if not going to Miss. to play was due to $, and he made more by playing another team here - what happen to all the $ he cornered the market on? And going to duke back then was more $ than Miss.? As Dodd said to Vaught during a press function before the 71 Peach Bowl - “the reason I didn’t want to play you there is you would have beat the hell out of me.”

If money was the reason for not playing there, then why could the argument not be made now we should only play at CU or ugag? Why shouldn’t WFU and puke play almost every game on the road now? As said, that is not how sports should be played.

Dodd was a great coach and did a lot for GT. But WE had better talent than bama in 62 and much better than ut & ugag in 64.

But days gone now. Stay cool this summer!