Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I mean, let’s not get outta hand here.

Point being we had more talent in '09 and '14 than in '18? I doubt anybody will argue with that assessment.

btw, I was at that USF game in Tampa last year. (@iceeater1969 were you there, by chance?) It was the hottest I've ever been watching a sporting event... ever. There was no way we should have lost that one, even with the multiple kickoff returns. The D disappeared in the 4th qtr completely and we still would have won if not for the inexplicable fumble as we were going in for the nail-coffin score.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Where did we see these in-game adjustments with PJ? Can you cite some examples? The only one that stands out to me is the decision to start throwing deep passes late in the 2nd half vs mutts in 2016. Starting Jordan @ VPI was a good move too but that was a pre-game decision.
Sleep much in 2008 Athens ? --- play calling = adjustments. A lesser coach would have come out passing more, whether we were good at it or not, like CKS vs us in 14 and Bama twice.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Point being we had more talent in '09 and '14 than in '18? I doubt anybody will argue with that assessment.

btw, I was at that USF game in Tampa last year. (@iceeater1969 were you there, by chance?) It was the hottest I've ever been watching a sporting event... ever. There was no way we should have lost that one, even with the multiple kickoff returns. The D disappeared in the 4th qtr completely and we still would have won if not for the inexplicable fumble as we were going in for the nail-coffin score.

Point being cite in game adjustments as he requested

Whether crack block Kam Chancellor (became illegal)

Going from a true dive to a zone give off tackle.
Or

Going TO run QB Sweep left or Sweep right on that defense

There are a lot more i could point out

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Sleep much in 2008 Athens ? --- play calling = adjustments. A lesser coach would have come out passing more, whether we were good at it or not, like CKS vs us in 14 and Bama twice.

I don’t remember the play calling being any different in 08 after halftime. Essentially we ran TO to the right the entire game with a handful of tosses mixed in. We never threw the ball, never ran left, and didn’t mix in hardly any midline/counter other than short yardage.

We executed better and UGA never adjusted Their D.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Point being cite in game adjustments as he requested

Whether crack block Kam Chancellor (became illegal)

Going from a true dive to a zone give off tackle.
Or

Going TO run QB Sweep left or Sweep right on that defense

There are a lot more i could point out
Who were you replying to so I can go back and read it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I mean, let’s not get outta hand here.

I don't recall the 2009 game and don't know what adjustments we made in 2014. In 2014, we beat up the mutts on the LOS the entire game. Had it not been for a crappy ref "fumble" call, we win handily. The USF game was a loss so not sure the adjustments worked. And we definitely did NOT make adjustments to our KR Defense.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t remember the play calling being any different in 08 after halftime. Essentially we ran TO to the right the entire game with a handful of tosses mixed in. We never threw the ball, never ran left, and didn’t mix in hardly any midline/counter other than short yardage.

My recollection as well. A Pick 6 helped too.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't recall the 2009 game and don't know what adjustments we made in 2014. In 2014, we beat up the mutts on the LOS the entire game. Had it not been for a crappy ref "fumble" call, we win handily. The USF game was a loss so not sure the adjustments worked. And we definitely did NOT make adjustments to our KR Defense.

We blocked UGA totally different. A lot more drive blocking and less cutting and track of went from A gap to C gap

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You’re giving Paul a ton of credit. He made some great in game adjustments early in his tenure. He also blew more three score leads than any coach in Tech history (by a very very wide margin). Kind of odd given the system was supposed to be built to win with a lead don’t you think?

Listen, I love what the guy did for Tech. I also witnessed some of the worst meltdowns I’ve ever seen. 2012 Miami and 2013 georgia are the two that stick out.

None of this is to say Paul couldn’t coach. Let’s just be careful before we say that the new staff can’t live up to his level of in game coaching.
You left out the Mid Tenn St debacle.Maybe the worst game in Tech history.From a 19 pt favorite to a 18 pt loss. pleeezz.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
A second question comes to mind, and it was raised in an article somewhere. Is there a "tipping point" where the hype does not live up to expectations and it collapses? I do not anticipate it and do not have nearly the dismal outlook that predictions are forecasting (I think a 6-6 season is where we will be)
CPJ "lost" the team a few times for a period, or so it seemed.
So if the worst case happens......go something like 3-9 the next two years for example......does that become the point of no return? Less wins, more wins? This is not tended as a rip on the new staff.....simply a "what if"and "at what point"
It is fairly obvious that if the opposite occurred.....a couple of 9-3 seasons and the train could really take off.

Lost the team? Maybe, but not the 3-9 year. Injuries were a culprit, not chemistry
Maybe more like 2010. Because there were chemistry problems, and not from Royer the Destroyer, from the beginning of the season

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I thought it would be an important game so i drove in from Pensacola . - Coach Andy got me seats in area w coaches and the players families.

It was so hot we cheered when we got a mist of rain.

Both teams were playing the starters the whole game. We were killing them because they overloaded the middle (bowling green, Louisville, vt) and the legal wr crackback combined w lead blocking by tackle made qb end run money. The 2 k o return tds actually were awere a blessing because our offense was wearing them out in first quarter. They started to pass and we put up little resistance. They stopped us a few times and then they were scoring faster than us. There were few if any subs on the ol.
Will bryan was hurt but gutted it out on last drive as we tried to make desperate pass. I think he and another linemen read the rush differently and qb got sacked.
(At next game Andy s wife told us not a word was spoken on ths bus. I went to Ebor city and got 2 great Cuban sandwiches plus pastries.

It was a war but we should have won by 3 td s .

Not a fan of bend and dont break if offense is kicking it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You mean the game where Al Groh refused to change his calls even though we knew they had them? You're right, the adjustment CPJ should've made then was to fire him mid-game.

We had 6 drives in the second half and scored 7 points with 2 turnovers. That is certainly a game where Johnson, even just as an OC, was on the wrong end of the adjustments.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Some of PJ’s adjustments also came before the game
Take a look at 2016 COFH. When we ran true triple, we had the play side tackle blocking the corner back, instead of the tackle going upfield
Klock got a big block to spring Qua on his big run and got in the way of the CB when CL went all endzine in the mutts

I’m in a bar in Savannah having a few drinks, so ... yeah

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Where did we see these in-game adjustments with PJ? Can you cite some examples? The only one that stands out to me is the decision to start throwing deep passes late in the 2nd half vs mutts in 2016. Starting Jordan @ VPI was a good move too but that was a pre-game decision.

Last year's Miami UpCharge game stands out quite a bit. The last drive featured one of those death marches (with the upcharge adjustment) that you love so much. :)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

HENCE, the in game adjustment. He saw it would work and it did.....Thank Gawd! Most OCs would have gone to something else.