Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

Animal02

Banned
Lost the team? Maybe, but not the 3-9 year. Injuries were a culprit, not chemistry
Maybe more like 2010. Because there were chemistry problems, and not from Royer the Destroyer, from the beginning of the season
Definitely not 15. But there occasions where it did seem like the team was just going through the motions ..like the lost to MTSU, however not anything near what happened at FSU.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought it would be an important game so i drove in from Pensacola . - Coach Andy got me seats in area w coaches and the players families.

It was so hot we cheered when we got a mist of rain.

Both teams were playing the starters the whole game. We were killing them because they overloaded the middle (bowling green, Louisville, vt) and the legal wr crackback combined w lead blocking by tackle made qb end run money. The 2 k o return tds actually were awere a blessing because our offense was wearing them out in first quarter. They started to pass and we put up little resistance. They stopped us a few times and then they were scoring faster than us. There were few if any subs on the ol.
Will bryan was hurt but gutted it out on last drive as we tried to make desperate pass. I think he and another linemen read the rush differently and qb got sacked.
(At next game Andy s wife told us not a word was spoken on ths bus. I went to Ebor city and got 2 great Cuban sandwiches plus pastries.

It was a war but we should have won by 3 td s .

Not a fan of bend and dont break if offense is kicking it.
Agree with all of that and especially envious of the trip to Ybor and the cubans! If I recall correctly, we completed a long 3rd or 4th down pass on our final drive for a first down but it got called back on a bogus holding call. It was all she wrote after that. We had nothing but bad luck in that one and still should have won.

The USF fans I encountered after the game were very gracious. I guess they knew they stole one.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Where did we see these in-game adjustments with PJ? Can you cite some examples? The only one that stands out to me is the decision to start throwing deep passes late in the 2nd half vs mutts in 2016. Starting Jordan @ VPI was a good move too but that was a pre-game decision.

I could point out a ton, but here are a few more. Turning the option inside in 14 vs Clemson when we were getting beat up front. The pass vs NCST (I think) in 08 that was drawn up on the sideline. The Vad Lee show vs UNC where we had to score 70 to win, the stop n go route vs Duke that he called because of how they warmed up.... My point in a nutshell is that CPJ understood his offense top to bottom and had an answer for whatever the defense brought... with the exception of superior talent. His scheme could equalize one or two superior players, but not 10. I just don’t think Dave P can do that, and the new scheme relies a lot on having better talent than your opponent. This is why Clemson is so successful with it and Temple wasn’t. We just don’t have the talent now to dominate with this scheme, but maybe we will in the future.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don’t remember the play calling being any different in 08 after halftime. Essentially we ran TO to the right the entire game with a handful of tosses mixed in. We never threw the ball, never ran left, and didn’t mix in hardly any midline/counter other than short yardage.

We executed better and UGA never adjusted Their D.

Most of the adjustments are hard for a casual fan of the option to spot, and often, only the most astute fans will notice in real time. I confess I used to depend on @Longestday to point it out in his recaps, but as @iceeater1969 said, it usually was the way the OL blocked. The play would look identical except for the OL assignments. Sometimes all the difference in the world.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I mean, let’s not get outta hand here.

In that Virginia Tech clip during the second half, the announcer Bob Davie said: "It's time for Bud Foster to change his scheme with Kam Chancellor because Paul Johnson has figured it out" Meaning that Coach Johnson had the A backs Emory Peeples and Anthony Allen arc block Chancellor to keep him from running across the field and making tackles from his safety spot. That one adjustment opened up the running game and Tech won a big upset on number 4 Virginia Tech. Yep. He could and did make in game adjustments but you have to have the players. Dwyer, Nesbitt, AA, Bey Bey, a defensive coordinator's nightmare to be sure.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
how about when he allowed coach richt to score rather than calling for the goal line stand? seems like we were down 1. ugag scored going up by 8 but because he let them score quickly we had more time on the clock for a tying td/ 2 pt effort

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re giving Paul a ton of credit. He made some great in game adjustments early in his tenure. He also blew more three score leads than any coach in Tech history (by a very very wide margin). Kind of odd given the system was supposed to be built to win with a lead don’t you think?

Listen, I love what the guy did for Tech. I also witnessed some of the worst meltdowns I’ve ever seen. 2012 Miami and 2013 georgia are the two that stick out.

None of this is to say Paul couldn’t coach. Let’s just be careful before we say that the new staff can’t live up to his level of in game coaching.

This is a great example of a post containing anecdotal evidence that the facts do not support.

CPJ teams at GT blew 2 games with 3 TD leads. 2015 vs UNC and 2013 vs uga. Ironically, in the 2012 UM game, GT stormed back from being down by 19 to being up by 17 before losing. I guess you could lump this game in with the other two.

If three games is more than any other coach in GT history (by a very very wide margin) then we have had some great coaching along the years.

17 points. If this is that unclear you should watch a little more football.

I just went back and looked at all the games from 2008 to 2018. My tally remains. GT blew 3 games where we had a 17 point lead at any point in the game. 3. Even if no coach at GT EVER blew a 17 point lead, 3 is hardly a very very wide margin.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In 18 - we were desperate for wins against virginia and miami.
Came down to adjustments that coach made u could see in the g c g.
Miami- he baited the nose tackle who shot the gap to cream the qb ,but the call was a give to bb who went in for score. Similar things w virginia. Coach willed us to victory. Loved watching & would buy his book on the details of how/why he called plays on his favorite drives.
My best recollection of an in-game adjustment was against Clemson, I believe in 2011. Washington was the QB and Clemson had a monster of a nose guard who quickly demonstrated to Georgia Tech we could not block him, and he gummed up the entire offense with his size, speed and quickness. Johnson's adjustment was not to even try to block him. Rather, he used the nose guard as his option man rather than an end or linebacker. Where ever he went, we went somewhere else. It culminated in one of the most dazzling slight of hands I can recall, when Washington faked to his Bback, the unblocked nose guard decleated the Bback ... and Washington ducked in to the vacated hole to slip into the end zone while a frustrated nose guard wailed in disbelief. One of my all-time favorite Tech plays, and optioning the nose guard allowed us to run the ball that day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We blocked UGA totally different. A lot more drive blocking and less cutting and track of went from A gap to C gap
And the uga DC with his 2 years experience didnt have a clue.

Uga played off the line and thought they could catch and defeat the blocks of our giant o linemen.

Erin joe was a beast the rest of the year. He would head into his man at pad level and finish by going into his legs.

I hope to see that type of manly blocking this year

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It’s only because someone said CPJ’s gameday coaching rep was way overblown. It’s that poster’s fault.
There are a lot of things that are "overblown" in college football but PJ's game day coaching is not one of them. The absolute best I have seen in over 50 years of watching Tech play. That said, it was time for a change and he was a wise enough man to recognize the moment had come unlike Coach Bowden or Coach Beamer to the ultimate detriment of their respective programs. Rest easy coach, Georgia Tech is in good hands.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree with all of that and especially envious of the trip to Ybor and the cubans! If I recall correctly, we completed a long 3rd or 4th down pass on our final drive for a first down but it got called back on a bogus holding call. It was all she wrote after that. We had nothing but bad luck in that one and still should have won.

The USF fans I encountered after the game were very gracious. I guess they knew they stole one.

We got there very early and the usf fans invited us to join their tailgate. Really friendly folks all around.

I got my tickets at the special will call set up by the gtaa for players and family. I asked how many local alums had the contacted and was told they don't have the Tampa gt AA list. There were plenty of empty seats near players and coaches family that local alumni would have enjoyed. The skinny relative of the Walton cb s was so animated it was a riot.

upload_2019-5-22_15-6-53.png