Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This plan is actually the most likely to work. There was additional support, as I understand to invest in the program going forward, so if MBob is willing to dip in to the GTAA emergency fund.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but the GTAA ran a surplus of about $750K this past year. THat would cover the bulk of BG's buyout for next year, so you're only negative to the tune of $600K in the GTAA emergency fund.

If MBob goes to the donors willing to chip in towards new blood with a real vision & plan (i.e. - he better know who the **** he's gonna hire, if they'll say yes, & can they recruit their *** off), he might be able to garner the funds necessary to make a proper move.

Constantly toying with my ******* emotions

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Did I miss something? Only thing I remember is the fist fight between Moultrie and that over rated kid he got right before he left. Name escapes me

ETA: Renardo Sidney

Nah, nothing all that bad. Just that he was just kinda ok as a coach. He had some pretty good years in a middling SEC but not really a 'wow' candidate.

ETA: Good point by RR on Hunter. He'll be good for GASt but he hasn't ever really shown anything that would make me excited to have him at GT (other than that he'd be relatively cheap).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jeff Capel would be a good hire, but he is one of several former players who hope to succeed Coach K in a few years. Given K's health issues, it could be sooner.

Ron Hunter would not give us any buzz with local players and recruiting at GSU is soooo different than recruiting at Tech.

LeVelle Moton is on lists every year, but so far he has either not gotten an offer, or is holding out for something better. Not sure how it could be the latter.

Mike Lonergan would be an interesting hire. He got off to a slow start at George Washington, but the Colonials had been mediocre for a while and he eventually turned them around.

Herb Sendek. No. Hell No.

Danny Hurley has not been very successful at Rhode Island. I would like to see more. Would not be on my list.

Jerod Haase remains at the top of my list of guys we could get this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Capel would be a good hire, but he is one of several former players who hope to succeed Coach K in a few years. Given K's health issues, it could be sooner.

Ron Hunter would not give us any buzz with local players and recruiting at GSU is soooo different than recruiting at Tech.

LeVelle Moton is on lists every year, but so far he has either not gotten an offer, or is holding out for something better. Not sure how it could be the latter.

Mike Lonergan would be an interesting hire. He got off to a slow start at George Washington, but the Colonials had been mediocre for a while and he eventually turned them around.

Herb Sendek. No. Hell No.

Danny Hurley has not been very successful at Rhode Island. I would like to see more. Would not be on my list.

Jerod Haase remains at the top of my list of guys we could get this year.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
If Tech can't land Archie Miller, then (I know some of you are going to disagree) I am going to give you guys a wildcard out of the deck that nobody is talking about, and is a damn good coach...Billy Donlon, Wright State...played Kentucky pretty well with no talent, beat Valparaiso..Bryce Drew? No way...a diamond in the rough coach who is young and probably on M.Bobs radar...oh I forgot, is coaching in Ohio..near Xavier

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we hire Herb Sendek, I will seek an appt with MBob, fly to Atlanta, step in to his office, and proceed to vomit on his desk. I will follow that up by organizing a relentless campaign to have MBob removed.

If you're gonna even consider Herb Sendek, you may as well give BG a 3-4 year extension and we should definitely not do that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you're gonna even consider Herb Sendek, you may as well give BG a 3-4 year extension and we should definitely not do that.

lol? Sendek went to the NCAAT 5 of his 10 years at NCSU. Dude does nothing for me but I'd trade gregory for him without a second thought.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Fun to speculate and most of GT supporters want a coaching change, but I just don't see it happening this year based on recent performance. This year has given MBob plenty of reasons to justify another year. It gives him time to get contract buyout lower by a year and there will be plenty of reasons after next year to make it happen. He certainly will have more justification to stay pat one more year. The only way it happens this year IMHO is if MBob has already made a behind the scenes move and has both a coach and money committed. He can always wave the possibility of a potential big raise to a prospective hire when Hewitt's contract is paid off in a couple of years with a back loaded contract. Let's face it, a million+ $ a year is good income to coach a game. How many people make that kind of money, but that's what the market demands.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I want any GT athletics department representatives in the room when it comes time to finalize any new coach's contract or CBG's eventual buyout. We need to outsource that to a third party with the instructions that if any GT people butt in, they get the Fez "I said good day, Sir!" treatment. We've shown over the past decade that we can't handle contracts, and the bad contracts are the reason we should probably have ushers going up and down the aisles every game for offerings. Can you imagine what GT could have done with all the "dead money" we've wasted on the Ex-GT Coach Retirement plan? From Braine, to Radakovich, to MBob...it's like our ADs have a mental breakdown when they read "Coaching Contract". Of course, those contracts have to be approved from up above, and even then our oversight fails us. Hey, that could be a selling point for a new coach: "Come to GT, and even if you end up sucking, you won't have to worry about retirement because our insane contracts will set you up for old age."

OK...Sunday morning rant over...

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I want any GT athletics department representatives in the room when it comes time to finalize any new coach's contract or CBG's eventual buyout. We need to outsource that to a third party with the instructions that if any GT people butt in, they get the Fez "I said good day, Sir!" treatment. We've shown over the past decade that we can't handle contracts, and the bad contracts are the reason we should probably have ushers going up and down the aisles every game for offerings. Can you imagine what GT could have done with all the "dead money" we've wasted on the Ex-GT Coach Retirement plan? From Braine, to Radakovich, to MBob...it's like our ADs have a mental breakdown when they read "Coaching Contract". Of course, those contracts have to be approved from up above, and even then our oversight fails us. Hey, that could be a selling point for a new coach: "Come to GT, and even if you end up sucking, you won't have to worry about retirement because our insane contracts will set you up for old age."

OK...Sunday morning rant over...
One of the good things about a third party, is there is no "relationship" there that can develop over the years between an AD and coach. Negotiations need to be all business, so I'm all for a third party.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
lol? Sendek went to the NCAAT 5 of his 10 years at NCSU. Dude does nothing for me but I'd trade gregory for him without a second thought.

You're not wrong. Only thing I'd say is the goal isn't to just do better than CBG, it's to find a guy that helps us ascend to where we should be in the ACC.

I've always felt like Drad's goal last time (no, not his only goal) was just to find a guy better (i.e. more palatable) than PHew which was a mistake. Well, one of his mistakes. Just my stupid opinion (JMSO?).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LazyAD was an effing putz that treated hoops like a second hand citizen. Building McCamish was more important to him than having a good product to put in to it.