Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think GT can still get him now if they wanted him. I don't think he will stay at VCU for super long.

I don't disagree here but it would have been a heck of a lot easier to get him from Chattanooga to Atlanta in 15 than it will be to get him from Richmond to Atlanta in '17

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think GT can still get him now if they wanted him. I don't think he will stay at VCU for super long.
I think it'll be harder than we think. He still has more talent at VCU next year than we do and is now bringing in his guys. Also, we have no idea what our money situation truly is and we know VCU will pay a coach $1.5MM.

We'd have to have cash to pay up, as well as Brownell not leave Clemson, at a minimum.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke Basketball Report has an article on Thamel's piece last week on possible coaching changes. Let's just say they were not that kind to him.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-thamel-takes-a-shot-at-the-coaching-carousel

"We also think he underestimates the attractiveness of the job. Buzzless perhaps, but Georgia has cranked out a ton of talent lately. If you're reasonably good with X's and O's, you can really stock your roster. It's not what it is, it's what it could be. Archie Miller, take note."

That comment says it all. it is up to the AD to present the future vision and what he thinks it will be. That will play a large role in the type of coach you get. Do we have an AD that believes in the strengths of the program or not?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting mid-major job opening up today in Drexel. Interesting because it may be below where he'd want to go, but it'd be a good job for BG. Also interesting because it might be the type of job Coach Herrion may go after, especially given his recruiting territory.

Also opening today is the Santa Clara job.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke Basketball Report has an article on Thamel's piece last week on possible coaching changes. Let's just say they were not that kind to him.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-thamel-takes-a-shot-at-the-coaching-carousel

"We also think he underestimates the attractiveness of the job. Buzzless perhaps, but Georgia has cranked out a ton of talent lately. If you're reasonably good with X's and O's, you can really stock your roster. It's not what it is, it's what it could be. Archie Miller, take note."

That comment says it all. it is up to the AD to present the future vision and what he thinks it will be. That will play a large role in the type of coach you get. Do we have an AD that believes in the strengths of the program or not?

They also pooped on the idea of Herb Sendek at GT. Thank goodness.

I like how they didn't mention the Thamel suggestion of Jeff Capel. Not willing to touch that topic. HA!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They also pooped on the idea of Herb Sendek at GT. Thank goodness.

I like how they didn't mention the Thamel suggestion of Jeff Capel. Not willing to touch that topic. HA!

RR made a good point in that it appears K steers his guys away from ACC jobs. Brey is only here due to expansion.

It is cute though that they totally ignore it.

On Drexel, thats a decent job. Hope they do us a solid ....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's been talked about for years that K discourages his guys from ACC jobs.
He has ALOT of former players/assts coaching, but none are in the ACC - except for Brey, and that is only due to re-alignment.
I don't think you will see any K proteges in the ACC until after he retires.

Also, if Duke is smart, they will hire a non-K disciple when he retires. None of his guys have shown the ability to be a top half of the ACC coach yet (except for maybe Brey).
Let's face it, a Smart, Stevens, Mack, Miller would take that job in a heartbeat.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It's been talked about for years that K discourages his guys from ACC jobs.
He has ALOT of former players/assts coaching, but none are in the ACC - except for Brey, and that is only due to re-alignment.
I don't think you will see any K proteges in the ACC until after he retires.

Also, if Duke is smart, they will hire a non-K disciple when he retires. None of his guys have shown the ability to be a top half of the ACC coach yet (except for maybe Brey).
Let's face it, a Smart, Stevens, Mack, Miller would take that job in a heartbeat.

I dunno if I'd want to be that guy. more like to be the guy AFTER that guy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dunno if I'd want to be that guy. more like to be the guy AFTER that guy.

Was just about to post the same. The guy after the guy that replaces THE guy is usually seen as the savior.

I think Amaker will replace K. Just a gut feel. If they go outside the family it'll be FL's White since he's a Dookie by proxy.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll see how that works out for Clemson, now, won't we?

They have a lot more money that's willing to be spent willy-nilly, don't care as much about basketball, and can wait it out to bring Will Wade home. In other words, he can skate by lazily in managing Clemson's hoops program.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
They have a lot more money that's willing to be spent willy-nilly, don't care as much about basketball, and can wait it out to bring Will Wade home. In other words, he can skate by lazily in managing Clemson's hoops program.
Agreed.

McCamish is beautiful and I would not trade it, but DRad does seem to like redoing buildings more than doing programs.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Unrelated to possible future Tech coaching but it's hard for me to believe that after almost 25 years at Oakland University Greg Kampe ( My former coach by the way ) hasn't had any low to mid P5 level interest. He's done a great job at OU and might have them back in the Tournament again this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we can/should do better

Guy's on the rise though. If Pitino the Elder keeps tracking to a (lightly forced) retirement, Keatts may be Lville's choice considering Pitino the Younger's team has torpedoed this season and is embroiled in a player scandal (3 guys suspended after a tape of them and some young woman hit twitter).

Lastly, if you believe who was on the short list last time, GT can certainly do much worse.