Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just to clean up an earlier discussion, sounds like Wisky has made it official and removed the interim tag from Greg Gard's HC title.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Upset Alert: watch for Mark Price to take Char to cusa champ game, Rice, MT, Marshall to prob face uab

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So what's the consensus on picking off the tree of a great coach? Looks like the Coach K tree is full of bad fruit, but other coaches? I don't follow CBB as closely as most of you do, but seems like Greg Marshall's tree has some nice assistants? Bo Ryan's Greg Gard is looking like the real deal (albeit, after just 1 season). Pitino's coaching progeny is pretty good, though some kept his "slick" tactics. Izzo gave us CBG...I'll just leave that alone. Others?

Which coach is "responsible" for the best coaching tree?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So what's the consensus on picking off the tree of a great coach? Looks like the Coach K tree is full of bad fruit, but other coaches? I don't follow CBB as closely as most of you do, but seems like Greg Marshall's tree has some nice assistants? Bo Ryan's Greg Gard is looking like the real deal (albeit, after just 1 season). Pitino's coaching progeny is pretty good, though some kept his "slick" tactics. Izzo gave us CBG...I'll just leave that alone. Others?

Which coach is "responsible" for the best coaching tree?
I don't think coaching trees generally work out. Pitino might have the best - Billy Donovan, Mick Cronin, Herb Sendek, Tubby Smith among others.

Pitino was a Boeheim assistant at Syracuse.

Bill Self and John Calipari were assistants under Larry Brown. Makes me wonder what Self is getting away with.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Anybody think it's cute how @CuseJacket tried to work Boeheim in the discussion? Just messin witcha, Cuse ;)

On a semi-related note, I vaguely recall reading years ago how Pitino's Providence staff included Jeff van Gundy, Herb Sendek and Stu Jackson. Plus Billy Donovan played on that team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pitino also had a coach named Bob Brown on his BU staff who is a Legend in the state of Maine nicknamed "St Bobby" whose coaching tree in the state has many gold balls hanging from it.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think coaching trees generally work out. Pitino might have the best - Billy Donovan, Mick Cronin, Herb Sendek, Tubby Smith among others.

Pitino was a Boeheim assistant at Syracuse.

Bill Self and John Calipari were assistants under Larry Brown. Makes me wonder what Self is getting away with.

Brown with Self and Calipari come from the most prestigious coaching tree there is in since Brown was taught by Dean Smith, who has Phog Allen and Naismith above him. Interesting to note Popovich worked under Brown. Regardless of peoples opinion of him, I don't think there's any doubt the man knows basketball.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody think it's cute how @CuseJacket tried to work Boeheim in the discussion? Just messin witcha, Cuse ;)

On a semi-related note, I vaguely recall reading years ago how Pitino's Providence staff included Jeff van Gundy, Herb Sendek and Stu Jackson. Plus Billy Donovan played on that team.
I actually had written something to the effect of "but the rest of Boeheim's tree has flamed out", but I didn't want you all to have to digest more Syracuse info than necessary. So I deleted it.

It would be akin to me offering "Hopkins and Tony Bland are two guys that played at Syracuse and were part of dtm's best recruiters list".

Or that Mike Tirico, Marv Albert, Sean McDonough, Ian Eagle, Dave Pasch, Bob Costas, etc. all went through Syracuse's Newhouse school of communications.

But I try not to waste your time forcing you to read more than you need to know. ;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
AP: ACC Tournament could decide Gregory's future at Georgia Tech
"Any discussion of our program or conclusions about the season won't be forthcoming until our team is done playing," Bobinski said in an email reply to a question from The Associated Press. "Much prefer to keep the focus on the games ahead."

After the Yellow Jackets finished 12-19 overall and 3-15 in the ACC last season, Bobinski said he "jumped both sides of the fence" when deciding to retain Gregory. Bobinski said it "was not an easy decision."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ken @ AJC had a pretty thorough write-up today, which of course had the concerning claim that we owe Hewitt for 4 more years, not 3, although I'm not sure that math seems to work.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ken's article in AJC -
"Decision awaits Georgia Tech on Brian Gregory"
“I know Mike — he’s a guy who’s going to step back and going to analyze things very carefully,” said Steve Zelnak...

"Can a department that hustles to break even take on a buyout for Gregory ($806,250 next year and $537,500 in 2017-18) on top of three more years of Hewitt’s ($906,250 through 2018-19)..."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Following up on a post I made in the Pugh thread in recruiting, Stanford is down 17 less than 12 minutes into the game against Washington. Really, how much longer does Dawkins have there. He really has not down well in his 8 yrs.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Ken's article in AJC -
"Decision awaits Georgia Tech on Brian Gregory"
“I know Mike — he’s a guy who’s going to step back and going to analyze things very carefully,” said Steve Zelnak...

"Can a department that hustles to break even take on a buyout for Gregory ($806,250 next year and $537,500 in 2017-18) on top of three more years of Hewitt’s ($906,250 through 2018-19)..."

Dang, three more years of paying Hewitt? I thought it was two more years. Just thinking about this bone head deal makes my blood boil.