Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are basically paying $2MM per yr right now
$1,075MM for Gregory and 900K for Hewitt.
We still have 3 more yrs left on Hewitt's buyout.
i think the feeling is that GT is looking at the $1.5-1.7MM range (which quite frankly is a little below avg). Maybe we'll be surprised maybe not.
Won't know until a change is actually made.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"We still have 3 more yrs left on Hewitt's buyout."

Gregory is here until he leaves on his own or when Hewitt's contract is paid off. MHO.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
If there some boosters that can pay out both coaches now, I wish they would step forward. Or maybe see if they can negotiate a lower buy out. You never know without asking and what would it actually hurt.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob tried to get boosters to give money to pay off the buyouts last year (when the total was north of $6MM) and was largely told in the beautiful words of DTM to 'go pound sand'. They were upset with the extension that reset Gregory's buyouts among other things.
Rumor is he got around $2MM in commitments, not nearly enough. I doubt we will see the pocketbooks open up much more this offseason, but i could see it happening after next season (when the buyouts will be $2.3MM combined).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
MBob needs to fire gregory, and then ask donors to donate for the sake of ensuring a good hire is made. It's much easier to sell the idea of giving money to make a good decision than giving money to cover up for the making of bad decision. Just imagine how much more effective "We need money to make a competitive hire" is than "we need money or we'll bring back gregory again."

As is why should anyone donate to our athletic department, when it has shown a complete unwillingness to do what it takes to be competitive? The onus is on MBob to prove the athletic department wants basketball to be competitive before asking donors for money. And he does that by making the needed change BEFORE asking for money.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Geez, truth hurts. It hurts hard. Although you didn't say anything new or that hasn't been put out, it just hurts every single time I read it. Thanks for ruining my Friday, btw.

I'm crossing my fingers that BG decides to head somewhere to make a clean start.

@lv20gt so you're basically saying it's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission. :LOL: Honestly, might be ballsy enough to work. o_O

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
i think the feeling is that GT is looking at the $1.5-1.7MM range (which quite frankly is a little below avg). Maybe we'll be surprised maybe not.
This is a deeply pointless comment of course, but I can't help but wonder who we could have right now for +-$800k (Gregory) + $900k (Hewitt) + $1.7m (budget) = $3.4m.

Who could we get for that if we had it to give?

Exercise in futility ... :(

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

I'm assuming there are a lot of teams missing from this list:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

But, it certainly looks like we should be able to get a coach who is can build a final four contender for $2M a year. EDIT - the more I look, maybe not. I see another list that the 25th highest paid in college basketball is ~$2.4M.

/

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what would happen if Bobblehead did the ole "beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission" move.

That's an OIT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Geez, truth hurts. It hurts hard. Although you didn't say anything new or that hasn't been put out, it just hurts every single time I read it. Thanks for ruining my Friday, btw.

I'm crossing my fingers that BG decides to head somewhere to make a clean start.

@lv20gt so you're basically saying it's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission. :LOL: Honestly, might be ballsy enough to work. o_O

Dang, thought I was being clever, need to read the entire thread before responding.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's just hope that M.Bob has something working "behind the scenes" with boosters who have been to the games and have seen our team, and how awful it is to watch " this mess ", and can recall our glory days, and are willing to turn this around, and pump some life back into our proud program. We can only hope and imagine.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dang, thought I was being clever, need to read the entire thread before responding.

Aye, we cover all things on the Swarm sir.

Here's some interesting commentary/fodder for discussion. I was looking around to see who the 'hot names' are from a national perspective and stumbled on this ...

http://www.campusrush.com/college-b...016-rick-pitino-1641474440.html?xid=cr_social

Georgia Tech: Props to Brian Gregory, who has led the Yellow Jackets on a late-season charge, winning four of their past five games to improve to 17-13 (7-10 in the ACC). That spurt may end up saving his job. But it's likely too little, too late. Athletic director Mike Bobinski is basketball savvy from his time at Xavier, as he's credited with hiring Thad Matta and Chris Mack there. Safe to say he's got a plan. The issue is that Tech has become a buzzless job. Can you lure an elite young coach like Dayton's Archie Miller? Probably not. In the 14-team ACC, Tech is a middling job with little resonance among high school aged kids. Gregory hung on a year longer than most expected. Hard to see that happening again, as in five seasons he's 72-84 with no NCAA bids.

Bottom Line: 35% chance he returns

Names: Bryce Drew (Valparaiso), Jeff Capel (Duke assistant), Ron Hunter (Georgia State), LeVelle Moton (NC Central), Mike Lonergan (George Washington), Herb Sendek, Danny Hurley (Rhode Island) and Jerod Haase (UAB).

Herb Sendek? Ew, another 'truth hurts' moment.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob needs to fire gregory, and then ask donors to donate for the sake of ensuring a good hire is made. It's much easier to sell the idea of giving money to make a good decision than giving money to cover up for the making of bad decision. Just imagine how much more effective "We need money to make a competitive hire" is than "we need money or we'll bring back gregory again."

As is why should anyone donate to our athletic department, when it has shown a complete unwillingness to do what it takes to be competitive? The onus is on MBob to prove the athletic department wants basketball to be competitive before asking donors for money. And he does that by making the needed change BEFORE asking for money.

This plan is actually the most likely to work. There was additional support, as I understand to invest in the program going forward, so if MBob is willing to dip in to the GTAA emergency fund.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but the GTAA ran a surplus of about $750K this past year. THat would cover the bulk of BG's buyout for next year, so you're only negative to the tune of $600K in the GTAA emergency fund.

If MBob goes to the donors willing to chip in towards new blood with a real vision & plan (i.e. - he better know who the **** he's gonna hire, if they'll say yes, & can they recruit their *** off), he might be able to garner the funds necessary to make a proper move.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haase and Drew are fine with me from Thamel's list, the others do nothing for me.
Capel won't end up in the ACC unless it is at Duke. K steers his guys away from the ACC.
FWIW, i think it's more 35% chance he goes than 35% chance he stays, but we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Oh and no on Ron Hunter, without his son he is being exposed for what he is, a mediocre coach in a mediocre league.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think his name is tarnished a bit from the MissSt days. I was surprised he was currently an asst.
ETA: His name is listed as a possible candidate on other schools tho.

Did I miss something? Only thing I remember is the fist fight between Moultrie and that over rated kid he got right before he left. Name escapes me

ETA: Renardo Sidney