Coaches on the Hot Seat

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Avery was my dark horse candidate for us. Probably too late now since we are keeping the Gregs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty clear AL wants to win the PC because of the hires around them.
If they hire Avery, he could be really good, he could be a complete bust. But they are obviously going to try to get a 'name' for the PC before doing anything else.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Avery is rumored to be a heavy frontrunner for AL.
That would be an interesting hire - his background is mixed. Got off to a great start with a loaded Dallas team. But his time in NY was quite unsuccessful and he hasn't coached in the NBA in almost 3 yrs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can see Avery being Sidney Lowe-esque. I know it's not his alma, but I can see him recruiting well off the NBA thing only to fizzle out. IOW it'll go just like his Dallas gig.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Avery will be good in the living rooms. Unlike other 'name' hires, he has been quite visible to today's player with his role on ESPN's basketball coverage with Jalen Rose and the sexy-MILF Sage Steele

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Avery will be good in the living rooms. Unlike other 'name' hires, he has been quite visible to today's player with his role on ESPN's basketball coverage with Jalen Rose and the sexy-MILF Sage Steele

Agree with all this. However, I don't think Avery was ever a really good coach so it'll show after a while.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most college coaches suck. Half can coach. Half can recruit. Some can do both. Very few can add development to their skill listings.

Avery will be a recruiter and average or slightly better x & o guy. He would get his lunch ate by Coach K or a Bo Ryan, but will do better than many Coaches because he will have more talent

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Somewhere @dtm1997 is smiling.

If by smiling, you mean hopeful Wade gets the job so we may possibly rip him out of there at a future date, if he proves successful, in as cruel a way as possible, then yes.

I realize it's just a message board, but VCU's main message board has an extensive "Screw Shaka" thread. I couldn't get past the first page before being disgusted after how he's helped continue their successful ways and left them in position to succeed in the future.

I wish we had a coach that proved themself good enough to use us as a stepping stone, INCLUDING Brian Gregory, who I think would have been able to bankroll success at GT in to pole position for Sparty if he proved successful here.

If they land Wade, they should thank their lucky stars AND Shaka again for giving him the chance to grow under his mentorship..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In rather shocking news, Dave Bliss is now head coach at Southwestern Christian U.

I'm all for second chances but this really surprises me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Johnson is getting $3M/yr from AL for 6 yrs.
SEC has been on a binge of a spending spree for coaches the last 2 years. Fox's contract makes him 11th out of 14 coaches in pay at $1.7M per season.
9 SEC coaches are now making $2M or more.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
SEC certainly have upgraded their coaches. Now will the recruits follow. Howland, Barnes, and Pearl are serious.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Johnson is getting $3M/yr from AL for 6 yrs.
SEC has been on a binge of a spending spree for coaches the last 2 years. Fox's contract makes him 11th out of 14 coaches in pay at $1.7M per season.
9 SEC coaches are now making $2M or more.
Mark Fox to Arizona State is getting all my prays right now.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SEC certainly have upgraded their coaches. Now will the recruits follow. Howland, Barnes, and Pearl are serious.

Pearl & Under Armour - they already are
Barnes & Nike & the most ridiculous football social media presence now being applied to hoops - without a doubt
Howland & Adidas - remains to be seen, but probably