Coaches on the Hot Seat

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
CBovVdVWYAAkFSV.jpg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Congrats to Smart. Great place for him to land. VCU will be a very attractive job for mid-major coaches looking to move up.

The big thing to watch now is what happens after the Final Four. There have been rumors that if KY goes 40-0, that Calipari is going to jump back to the NBA since it is the only place that he has 'failed' as a coach.

Marshall will do just fine at Wichita St. He really has some amazing stats when you look at his record. He's finished first in his league 9 out of 17 seasons. In his 11 trips to the NCAA Tourney he has only been beaten by a lower seed once - that being when #8 KY beat Wichita St in that 78-65 classic last year. On the other hand he has beaten 5 higher seeds. He's averaged almost 24 wins per year for his career and has only1 losing season - his first at Wichita St as he rebuilt the program. He recruits well, develops kids well, and is one of the best x and o guys around. He'll wait for the right blue blood to open before going anywhere. He did a great job of leveraging the AL interest into a better offer from Wichita ST. i never thought he would leave for AL.

The TX search is interesting if you read alot of Chip Brown's stuff. The Texas AD apparently never considered Marshall - even though Marshall made it clear he was interested in the position - even telling AL that they need not bother if TX comes calling. He did use a search firm to make early contacts. First call apparently went to Brad Stevens - who told them he was staying in the NBA (I think he stays there at least until IND opens), then the next 2 on the list were Jay Wright (who said he was happy at Nova - no surprise at all there) and Smart - who was very interested.

AL will also be interesting to watch. They threw a huge offer at Marshall (reported to be $4.2M/yr for 6 yrs). Where to they go now. There is alot of pressure to make a big hire because Barnes went to TN and Howland went to Miss St and Pearl went to Auburn last year. Some of their fans are now hoping they just bring Prohm home, while others are hoping they still go after big names - the most common one they mention seems to be Archie Miller - though he signed an extension last week that apparently raised his buyout alot. I think Miller holds out for the right ACC job (I think he would jump at Pitt if it opened since he is from Beaver Falls, PA). Richard Pitino's name was getting thrown around yesterday and their boards seemed to hate that name.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Hey @ilovetheoption... it's done. You'd better hope kids transfer and/or they don't hire Rhoades or Wade. Otherwise, Mason gonna remain years behind VCU.

FWIW, I actually REALLY like our new coach. Very much an x's and o's/system guy (which, IMO, is the more realistic/sustainable way to win at the mid-major level)

We may be behind VCU, and you have to respect what they've done, but I'm happy with the direction Mason has taken. (lets be honest, any direction away from Blewitt would have been an improvement)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Donovan to the NBA rumors were also heating up last night.

Meanwhile, a lot of VCU fans are not paying heed to one of their own this morning.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The big thing to watch now is what happens after the Final Four. There have been rumors that if KY goes 40-0, that Calipari is going to jump back to the NBA since it is the only place that he has 'failed' as a coach.

I would be surprised if Calipari jumped to the NBA, even if he does go 40-0. While it makes sense to a certain extent (what else would be left for him to do?), most of those rumors are coming from outside the program. Most with connections to the program feel that, when he turned down the Lakers and Cavs last year, he made the decision that he plans to stay at UK for a while. One thing to watch is whether his son walks on at UK instead of accepting an offer from a small school. That would guarantee he stays for a few more years at least.

Will be tough for UK to get a guy who fits anywhere as well as Cal. As good as Marshall is, he would be a big downgrade from Cal when it comes to all the off-the-court promotion and marketing of the program that Cal has been able to do. At UK, you aren't just a coach, you are a figurehead and representative of the state. Something Billy Gillispie learned the hard way. If Shaka Smart succeeds at UT, I could see UK going after him before Marshall.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would be surprised if Calipari jumped to the NBA, even if he does go 40-0. While it makes sense to a certain extent (what else would be left for him to do?), most of those rumors are coming from outside the program. Most with connections to the program feel that, when he turned down the Lakers and Cavs last year, he made the decision that he plans to stay at UK for a while. One thing to watch is whether his son walks on at UK instead of accepting an offer from a small school. That would guarantee he stays for a few more years at least.

Will be tough for UK to get a guy who fits anywhere as well as Cal. As good as Marshall is, he would be a big downgrade from Cal when it comes to all the off-the-court promotion and marketing of the program that Cal has been able to do. At UK, you aren't just a coach, you are a figurehead and representative of the state. Something Billy Gillispie learned the hard way. If Shaka Smart succeeds at UT, I could see UK going after him before Marshall.

I agree on Calipari. However, if the Cavs fall in the playoffs (and that's more likely than most admit) and that job opens, I can see him sliding in right there. IIRC the job was his to take but it was prior to LiiBron signing on the dotted line. IOW, there would be a chance he'd have a talent deficiency had he taken that job at the time. Things have changed now.

I heard one guy intimate that he may go to NO to coach Davis but I don't see that happening. He'd only leave for a place with a path of least resistance to success.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good podcast today. The first 20 min is about Smart and Marshall.
Interesting comments on Smart and UT. Including him not being UT's first choice - they contacted Stevens, Bennett and Wright first.
Also talked about HAVOC at TX. They feel Smart will likely have to modify it some, but they all think he should do well there. They don't see him as a home run hire which i thought was interesting, but overall thought it was a good hire.

Parrish also said based on what he heard that Marshall wasn't wowed by AL. (Even with the money tossed around). He really wanted TX And they didn't even call him. Said he is likely to wait for a school like IND, UNC before he would move.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...cast-previewing-saturday-shaka-smart-to-texas

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sam Vecenie >>>> Matt Norlander

Also, Shaka adjusted VCU's defense after Briante Weber went down, so if anyone's worried about his ability to adjust, it's been mitigated.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
HE absolutely did, though they were definately not as strong a team after Weber's injury than before (which should be expected).

i wouldn't worry about his defense at all - I think he is a really good defensive coach. I'm not a fan of his offenses - then tend to look haphazard and somewhat disorganized on the offensive end. i think he will clean up in recruiting in TX and be quite successful. He's a good young coach and imo a good fit for TX.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I'm not gonna bother reading this article, but Josh Pastner? Yeah... hell no!

Wait, whats the problem? If it has gotten to the point that free tutoring is considered an "illegal benefit" that athletes should not have, we have really gone off of the deep end with NCAA regulations. Unless the tutor helped the kids cheat, there should be no problem whatsoever with someone helping students study for free.

As a side note, does any hometown paper seem to hate their school's team more than the Memphis Commercial Appeal?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, while we still have a month to go I am pleased about 2 things so far with this year's searches.

First, none of my top 5 have taken a new job yet. Though multiple ones have gotten new contracts that will raise what you have to give them to move, but they haven't taken P5 jobs.

Second, and maybe more importantly - assuming GT is on the market in the next couple of years - almost all the schools around us will have recently done new hires so they won't be in the market competing with GT for potentially the same pool of candidates.
AL, AU, TN, have all made coaching changes.
UGA is set for a couple of years at least with Fox.
Clemson has a big buyout with Brownwell that keeps him there for at least another couple of seasons.
So all the schools within a relatively easy driving distance from Atlanta are probably out of the market for the coach if GT goes looking.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UT-C Will Wade is rumored to be one of the frontrunners for the VCU job. Not a surprise since he was an asst to Smart at VCU before getting the UT-C job.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both of those make perfect sense. I hope they get White. I prefer Prohm - but my expectation is Prohm will be higher on their list since he went to AL.
White turned down TN last year.