Coaches on the Hot Seat

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
OK, again I will try to be more clear
1) If you don't know what he's done post playing, you shouldn't assert that he's only being considered because of playing for GT

2) If you think your list in the first paragraph is natural rather than learned and teachable you may be alone, imo.

3) You ignored the fact that coaches hire assistants which can help recruiting etc.

4) I don't think you understand what happened with Gregory hire, but it seems we've exhausted this topic.

1) I spaced. I thought you meant post play, as in like center or power forward. Not post playing career. Anyways, how does his coaching career so far scream he can teach the game? The majority of his experience is in the NBA, which itself is pretty different than coaching in the college game, and most of that was focused on helping shooting, not running, or help running, the team as a whole. Just because he has some experience coaching, doesn't mean that experience screams he can coach. If it wasn't for his playing career his coaching career wouldn't get him a first glance from any ACC school, and if it wasn't for his association with GT he wouldn't be considered here anyways.

2) isn't even an argument. You can do certain things to help those, just lie you can do certain things to help athleticism, but you can't coach your way to elite levels in those areas. It's experience and natural ability. His natural ability was refined through hard work, just like Lebron's natural athleticism was through strength and agility training.

3) And you ignored the fact that only having 1 year now, or 3 years when someone projected him, in college means he'll have limited networking to get good assistants. Questions recruiting isn't limited to players, it's also in attracting good assistants.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow! Impressed that they came up with that kind of cash!

I'm impressed as well, seems like a ton of cash for an athletic department of that scope. While he may get them to the big dance year end and year out, I don't see them advancing past the sweet 16 much.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1) I spaced. I thought you meant post play, as in like center or power forward. Not post playing career. Anyways, how does his coaching career so far scream he can teach the game? The majority of his experience is in the NBA, which itself is pretty different than coaching in the college game, and most of that was focused on helping shooting, not running, or help running, the team as a whole. Just because he has some experience coaching, doesn't mean that experience screams he can coach. If it wasn't for his playing career his coaching career wouldn't get him a first glance from any ACC school, and if it wasn't for his association with GT he wouldn't be considered here anyways.

2) isn't even an argument. You can do certain things to help those, just lie you can do certain things to help athleticism, but you can't coach your way to elite levels in those areas. It's experience and natural ability. His natural ability was refined through hard work, just like Lebron's natural athleticism was through strength and agility training.

3) And you ignored the fact that only having 1 year now, or 3 years when someone projected him, in college means he'll have limited networking to get good assistants. Questions recruiting isn't limited to players, it's also in attracting good assistants.

Okay. As I've said before, I would be happier with a better resume. However, I think our difference of opinion arises from "has proven it to you" and "has ability." Beyond that, I think we also may differ on how difficult certain aspects of the coaching profession are. Regardless, there are good head coaches who transitioned straight from playing to head coaching without being an assistant. Larry Bird's first coaching job was head coach of Pacers, and was named NBA coach of the year his first year. Doc Rivers' first coaching job was head coach of the Magic, and he won coach of the year after his first year too, iirc.

As far as the points I made, and your responses, it seems that you're operating in the abstract, imo, and not concretely with respect to MP. However, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I'm not a "Hire Mark Price" guy, but I think much of the opposition to him has been overblown based on ignorance (not seeing the resume they want).