Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Seems so. What's the draw there (besides the obvious)? Does he have ties in TX?
It's a huge opportunity/challenge on multiple levels besides money. Texas is printing money and about to invest in hoops facilities. Private jets like Calipari during AAU season. Texas is churning out D-1 players. Big 12 has good adversaries. Great city (so I hear). Great educational institution.

slugboy

Staff member
If this is off-topic, feel free to delete it, but it sure doesn't look like we had the war chest ready even if we didn't have Gregory's buyout. Maybe not even if we didn't have Hewitt's, either.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe Shaka realizes he's hit is ceiling at VCU, it's time to move on while he still can. Failing to get out of the first weekend in the tourney the last 4 years is a little concerning. Although at this point for our program, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Two things about this...

1) Giving a coach a 10 year contract is stupid, especially one that had only been at the school for a year or two.

2) As a GT fan, it's hard to wrap my mind around firing a coach that has made the NCAA tourney 5 out of 7 years.
Texas just fired a coach who made the NCAA tournament 19 of the last 20 years. Its pretty humbling. For us the NCAA tournament has turned into a pipe dream. For others it isn't even enough for a coach to keep his job.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Shaka realizes he's hit is ceiling at VCU, it's time to move on while he still can. Failing to get out of the first weekend in the tourney the last 4 years is a little concerning. Although at this point for our program, I'd take that in a heartbeat.
WHAT??? For a school like VCU, 1 Sweet 16 in 5 years is awesome. It's not like he's coming in with top 4 seeds and getting bounced.

Shaka played this properly. Hang around long enough for people to not think it was a fluke. jump at a really big job with a really big check.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sizing up how big my pipe dream was for my personal top GT target. It was the biggest pipe dream in the history of pipe dreams.

I feel like hearing (reading) that was good for you. Very therapeutic. I sensed, deep down, you believed it was possible. Kinda like my belief that we had a chance with Thad Matta ;).

Also, I'm starting to think Bama has no idea what they're doing. *gasp* Do they need a search firm? Maybe @Ggee87 and I can get our firm started there.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
WHAT??? For a school like VCU, 1 Sweet 16 in 5 years is awesome. It's not like he's coming in with top 4 seeds and getting bounced.

Shaka played this properly. Hang around long enough for people to not think it was a fluke. jump at a really big job with a really big check.
The past 3 years, VCU has been seeded as follows: 5, 5, and 7 - they're 1-3 during that stretch. The only game they won was against #12 Akron. They've lost to a 4, 12, and 10. So, your argument (bolded) is, for the most part, inaccurate.

The game changes, and expectations change. He's built expectations at VCU, and now everyone watches when they're in the tourney. And when they see you getting beat early in the tourney year after year, your stock inevitably falls. Certainly not to the point where schools aren't after him, but enough to think, "Maybe he's not as good as we though he was after 2011."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 I thought it was maybe possible before finding out how financially strapped we continue to be and how much business acumen our AD doesn't have.