Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Could we maybe start 1? I don't see us being any worse than the existing firms. Make 1 good suggestion and well hit it big time. We could do a search for Texas and suggest they bring in Gregg Marshall for 5 mill per. Get paid a nice paycheck and get nationally recognized for our efforts.

Throw out a few out of the box hires, toss in Smart and some random NBA assistant along with Marshall and we're in business. Wait for some sucker like the LazyAD who's looking to pass the buck then we make our pitch. "KGgee & Associates" has a nice ring to it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They are hoping for Fred Hoiberg part II (as are GT fans who wanted to hire Price a couple of years ago). But more often it turns out to be Clyde Drexler or Eddie Jordan.

Heck at least Price had 1 yr under Cremins 15 years ago and had been a HC at the HS level and had a son play AAU basketball. Mullins has basically been a front office guy since his playing days ended. I remember Mark fondly but today's kids won't even know who he is as a basketball player. His pro playing career ended before most of them were born.

Big East will be interesting to watch the next couple of years. Marquette lost Buzz last year. Both DePaul and especially St. John's are taking risks in their hires. Holtzmann at Butler is getting mentioned for other jobs so he may not be there long. Creighton after losing the coaches son took a huge dip this year (keep that in mind GSU). BE has to be careful or it could see a significant downturn in the next couple of seasons.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure the Eddie Jordan story is done at Rutgers. He has some nice recruits coming in and it was going to be a long road back after the Mike Rice debacle.

Jeff Goodman went on a twitter rant against coaching search firms this morning, Parker specifically.

Also, as Red mentioned GSU...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mullin to St. John is a hail mary. Can't believe they did that. Ah well, it'll at least be an interesting case study for us in terms of hiring the inexperienced ex-player deal goes.

ETA: Agree with both @RamblinRed and @dtm1997 on the GSU thing. Hunter was pretty decent at IUPUI with minimal postseason and his best recruiting 'win' was his son. I liked him as a cheap option but there's a high likelihood we've seen the best of what Hunter's teams will ever be.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Goodman rants on Parker are pretty hilarious. I believe Dave Hart at TN hired Parker to help with their search.
TN boards seem pretty focused right now on Barnes going from UT to UT.

FWIW, Mullin has not yet accepted the St. John's offer.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm starting to get a little more enthused with the idea that most of my top choices may not move this year. There have been some weird hires already and the SEC in particular seems to have schools locked in a battle to win the press conference against each other that has all of them seeming to be looking at bringing in well known guys rather than up and comer types (which is what I expect GT to hire whenever it decides to change directions).

AL has already put itself in a corner with the idea of making a big name hire and TN seems to be feeling the pressure from AL moves so far.

if the majority of Prohm/Miller/White/Underwood stay in place i'm going to be very happy.