Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the Rutgers candidates. I love Herb Sendek for it. He can bring Julius Hodge in to recruit NYC and not get hired by us.

Also, as predicted in chat tonight, Donnie Jones is out at UCF. Could this be a BG caliber job?

Finally... a sweet hot take on Ole Miss

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Herb Sendek's agent doesn't get payed enough, his name comes up for every job.

i think our wins and losses have little to do with whether CBG is retained or not (like maybe 10% of the decision). The main factor will be do we have the money to deal with the buyouts and make a competitive offer for a new coach. If the answer is yes we change coaches, if the answer is no we keep what we have.

The UVA loss doesn't bother me in the least because I fully expected it. They have been doing that exact same thing to better teams than GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People know my opinion on whether we need to make a coaching change, but that doesn't change the fact I respect CBG as a person. This is an excellent read.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ture-uncertain-but-his-impact-is-long-lasting

"So many people get caught up in the numbers and the rankings and wins and loss column, but it's the things he's done for this team," senior forward Charles Mitchelltold CBS Sports this week. "That's not even basketball, it's just who he is is believing in us on and off the court and that environment over time ... he's just one of those people that never gives up."

"This is the thing. BG gave me a second chance to make a first impression. I think man-to-man he knows that, he's one of the guys that believed in me more than anybody he changed my whole entire life off the basketball court and on the basketball court. He made me a better person, a better man and a better player."

"He never worried about his job, he always worried about how you're doing today and what's best for the team. He didn't focus on who he is or what's going on with him. He's one of those coaches I'll always believe in him and always have his back."

"Man to man, there's been some tough times off the court that I can't even explain right now but he's always there for me, he always had my back. I'm not going to lie, he's seen me cry a couple times as a 22-year old when I felt like there was no one there for me and he looked me dead in the eye, man-to-man, and told me he would always have my back throughout everything, just trust and believe me, and he has.

"I can't even explain it, having a person that is a leader a role model and a father figure and also your basketball coach at the same time, it's just a different feeling."

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, I like CBG as a person, and I wished he had been more successful because of that fact, but you have to do what's best for the program. It'll be interesting to see if he gets another year or not.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
i think our wins and losses have little to do with whether CBG is retained or not (like maybe 10% of the decision). The main factor will be do we have the money to deal with the buyouts and make a competitive offer for a new coach. If the answer is yes we change coaches, if the answer is no we keep what we have.

The Peterson administration does not care about winning at a high level--in any sport. The days of Homer Rice and Kim King are gone. I don't expect a coaching change for that reason.

And yes, money is a factor. Private schools have trouble competing at a high level (unless a Coach K falls in your lap) because of money. The academic types don't want athletics competing for donations from alums and friends. GT is a public school that operates like a private school. The athletic board--dominated by faculty--will not approve funding that could compete with academic contributions if they can find any reason to not spend the money.

If we knew what went on behind the scenes (I used to, but not anymore), I'd be willing to bet that Peterson tied DRad's hands with regard to fund raising. Likely the key reason he left. They much prefer the invisible Bobinski.

Mediocrity is here to stay at GT. A high percentage of fans seem to be satisfied with mediocrity as well. It's a sad situation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll also say, I don't see CBG leaving to take a mid major job. He seems like a fighter who will try hard until he is removed. it's going to be up to MBob to make that move.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll also say, I don't see CBG leaving to take a mid major job. He seems like a fighter who will try hard until he is removed. it's going to be up to MBob to make that move.

That's the impression I think we all have of him. He ain't no quitter. Still, at some point, you gotta see the writing on the wall.

If I'm Bob I might take him aside and say STTE, "Look dude, I'm not gonna be able to bring you back after your current deal expires. I won't take it personal if you let your agent float your name out for some other jobs. Better to strike now coming off a semi-positive season rather than waiting until after next season which, considering what we're losing, is more likely to be a sub-.500 year."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I read that CBS piece last night and it really makes you feel good about the person BG is. Unfortunately, the results still give you little reason to let him carry on, but there's a way I could be convinced and it involves a blow out 2017 class that I know will be impossible to land.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I read that CBS piece last night and it really makes you feel good about the person BG is. Unfortunately, the results still give you little reason to let him carry on, but there's a way I could be convinced and it involves a blow out 2017 class that I know will be impossible to land.

I voted to let him go. While I think the money issues are real and substantial, so are the financial considerations for keeping him. Without a rational positive vibe going into the 2016-17 season, ticket sales are going to be a real issue. I posted the numbers earlier this season, but we could lose $500k or more in lost revenue if ticket sales stay around 5500 as they have for most games this year. That means we are missing on 3000 tickets per home game. If we begin the OOC portion of next season playing .500 ball, the ACC season will be much worse than 5500 per game.

A new coach might generate enough optimism to make up part of that difference in revenue and might also encourage donors to increase their support. But the new coach needs to be someone with more than a little buzz. That 2017 recruiting class could be the difference in us having 3-4 years in the cellar versus those same years competing for an NCAA bid.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jones is awful.

Gregory actually had a better year than a lot of guys in the ACC if you take expectations into account.

Hamilton, Manning and Gottfried should be embarrassed by their seasons.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
LINK
Mark Bradley's 2 cents about keeping CBG.
"Mike Bobinski faces a thorny choice. For that, he can blame himself. Had Georgia Tech’s athletic director fired Brian Gregory after last season, almost nobody would have protested. In four seasons, Gregory was 19-51 in ACC regular-season play and hadn’t led the Yellow Jackets to a postseason tournament..."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, MBob should know where we stand with potential grad transfers and how we expect to finish out this class.

Lammers, Jax, Q have all shown flashes. We have some interesting RS bigs and some decent kids coming in. However, I think we need some more bang, either in talent or experience, to finish it up.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me its relatively simple. If you can come up with the money to pay off at least one of the 2 buyouts (Hewitt, CBG) you do that and make a move.
if you can't you likely have to hold.
I do have some difficulty believing we couldn't come up with the $1.3MM for CBG.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do have some difficulty believing we couldn't come up with the $1.3MM for CBG.
I assume the entire buyout is not due at once, so that should be palatable. Unless he is looking to lure away a coach whose team is still playing after this weekend, there is not much reason to wait. I can imagine there are several potential coaches that meet that criteria, and it's possible GTAA outside counsel has already contacted some of them through their agents.