Coaches on the Hot Seat

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
MBob can't afford to miss on this hire. I'm sure he's been his homework. I wouldn't let money be an issue. Gotta get a good recruiter and an intense coach like Tony Bennett.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am reading "Think Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I hope Bobinski reads this before making a decision. It's all about why we make bad decisions, in spite of thinking we're making good ones.

Please, some of the names I have read here today would be a step backward. Winning at UNCW or Wofford is nothing like competing against Pitino and K and Roy Williams. These guys are major league and we cannot face them every year with a AA coach and expect to win. Granted, we have our own set of realities, but I do not think we have to go begging, nor give up on recruiting the Atlanta area. As for Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg, they are just guys trying to make a living on the edge of a game they where they once were "players." The fact that they are calling the 12/13 game on Tuesday's lunch break should tell you something.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am reading "Think Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I hope Bobinski reads this before making a decision. It's all about why we make bad decisions, in spite of thinking we're making good ones.

Please, some of the names I have read here today would be a step backward. Winning at UNCW or Wofford is nothing like competing against Pitino and K and Roy Williams. These guys are major league and we cannot face them every year with a AA coach and expect to win. Granted, we have our own set of realities, but I do not think we have to go begging, nor give up on recruiting the Atlanta area. As for Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg, they are just guys trying to make a living on the edge of a game they where they once were "players." The fact that they are calling the 12/13 game on Tuesday's lunch break should tell you something.

Please share your list of candidates, @orientalnc. Nobody endorsed Wofford or UNCW's coaches, as much as put them on the radar screen.

Let's start with a coach that can consistently get us to the middle 3rd of the league before we worry about beating HOF titans on the regular.

Finally, your comment about Williams & Greenberg is pretty ridiculous. They're both ACC guys and they're both hosts on ESPN's flagship hoops program, College Game Day. ESPN is going to have solid coverage on the ACC tournament whole way through. Battier & McDonough called Big Monday all season, I believe, so also a solid team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It's more the fact that they can't call CBG out due to the complete pussification of America. Have to watch out for people's feelings these days. Lying is better than harsh truths.

slugboy

Staff member
Well, this is the part of the year where you have a noise to signal ratio instead of the other way around. God knows how much junk info we'll see before everything gets sorted out.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

We have to find a diamond in the rough coach. The big schools are gonna get the top of the heap type coaches. Nobody and I repeat nobody is looking to come to GT before any other school. Keeping Gregory is not an option, we all agree. The difference in these coaches and Gregory when we hired him is that they have actual Ws under their belts. Gregory was a cheap *** hire and we were pretty much praying that he could create magic. It didn't happen and now we're in a very impt transition in the program. We've gotta get someone who can recruit some basketball players here. We have very few at the moment... and after that VT win we are the last place ACC team.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Please share your list of candidates, @orientalnc. Nobody endorsed Wofford or UNCW's coaches, as much as put them on the radar screen.

Let's start with a coach that can consistently get us to the middle 3rd of the league before we worry about beating HOF titans on the regular.

Finally, your comment about Williams & Greenberg is pretty ridiculous. They're both ACC guys and they're both hosts on ESPN's flagship hoops program, College Game Day. ESPN is going to have solid coverage on the ACC tournament whole way through. Battier & McDonough called Big Monday all season, I believe, so also a solid team.
This. I remember being told Paul Johnsons offense wouldn't work at the Power 5 level, too.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I stated a couple weeks ago that Prohm, Mack, White, Miller, and Howland were the ones I would go for. Nothing has changed that. My comment about UNCW and Wofford was just to indicate my desire that we not chase those coaches. It was an attack on your post. I like what you post. You spend a lot of time watching basketball and have good observations. I don't always agree, however.

As for Williams and Greenberg. Them being ACC guys does not make them experts on the GT coaching situation. I do not think their opinions about who we should consider or whether we should fire CBG are any more valid than yours. They are, in order, a great ACC player was did a stupid thing one night in Chicago, thereby ending what might have been a nice NBA career. He is now hustling to make a living by working several part time gigs. The other is a former coach who was unceremoniously fired from Virginia Tech for not winning at least half his ACC games and never getting beyond the 2nd round in the NCAAT. Ever. With three different teams. Now he is very much like Williams. He is chasing around with several part time gigs on both radio and TV.

I like the way these tow guys call a game. They have valuable insights into college basketball and how players skills are used, or not used, by their coaches. My knock on them has nothing to do with whether they are good TV announcers.