Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, any ranking system other than RPI (like Kenpom for instance) is irrelevant as the committee does not see them.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Crazy rumor starting to go around that Alabama may fire Anthony Grant, that Tom Creen may then pull a "Tubby Smith to Minnisota" and go to Alabama in order to get away from the heat at Indiana, and that Indiana may pluck Billy Donovan from Florida. It seems crazy, but not out of the realm of possibility. Wish Hewitt had done the same thing when St. Johns came calling the year before we fired him. As for Billy Donovan, while he has turned down great jobs before to stay at Florida (UK & Orlando Magic), word is that he is getting tired of running a basketball program with mediocre support, and one that rides an extreme back seat to the football team (particularly compared with his relative success). I don't see it happening, but wanted to mention it in case I later look like a genius : )

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Crazy rumor starting to go around that Alabama may fire Anthony Grant, that Tom Creen may then pull a "Tubby Smith to Minnisota" and go to Alabama in order to get away from the heat at Indiana, and that Indiana may pluck Billy Donovan from Florida. It seems crazy, but not out of the realm of possibility. Wish Hewitt had done the same thing when St. Johns came calling the year before we fired him. As for Billy Donovan, while he has turned down great jobs before to stay at Florida (UK & Orlando Magic), word is that he is getting tired of running a basketball program with mediocre support, and one that rides an extreme back seat to the football team (particularly compared with his relative success). I don't see it happening, but wanted to mention it in case I later look like a genius : )
I believe the 1st 2 parts. I've seen those ideas floating around.

I've also heard the idea that Donovan may have finally gotten tired of it all at Florida, but he might be ready for the challenge of the pros at this point. Just my opinion, but it seems like he wants to just be a coach and not have to deal with academics & recruiting.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hard to imagine Donovan at Indiana. More likely go the NBA and IU hires another. Brad Stevens or possibly (? im reaching) Steve Alford. I have zero insight as to Stevens but that is the dream job. Alford having the obvious connections. Would he jump from UCLA so soon?

IMHO Donovan is a fool to leave Florida, that job is similar to Barnes at Texas, except Donovan wins championships.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Anyone catch Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg talking about BG's job after the game? Said recruiting will hurt him (mentioned great AAU program Atlanta Celtics in backyard), but there's no doubt he's a good coach.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think for the right coach with a winning track record, guys like Mike Young, Will Wade, etc. are going to have to be considered.