Coaches on the Hot Seat

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Here's a name: Rick Stansbury

Won more SEC titles than anyone not at UK while at MSU. Retired, but is an assistant at Texas A&M. 55 years old, may be ready for another head coaching job.

didn't know where he'd gone to. That's an intriguing suggestion.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
McCray left LSU last spring. I don't think he has a job right now.
I agree that calling Sharman White would be a good call.
If you can't get Sharman White, I'd try Cabral Huff. Was coach at St. Francis (Kobi Simmons, Malik Beasley, Kaiser Gates) before last year moved to be Georgia Southern asst.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pea, I see you twittered with the coaching changes guy. The more I read his tweets the more I am convinced he's an idiot with no real info. I don't think GT would seriously consider a single name in his latest list for GT. Not one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pea, I see you twittered with the coaching changes guy. The more I read his tweets the more I am convinced he's an idiot with no real info. I don't think GT would seriously consider a single name in his latest list for GT. Not one.

What you don't think Oliver Purnell would lead us to the promised land? ;) Oliver freaking Purnell? :ROFLMAO:

ETA: Will Wade is way too green. @dtm1997 would love us if we hired him tho.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope you are right. But, the reality is that all of are simply guessing. Assuming Bobinski has a list, he is smart enough to keep it close. The potentials on your list would be great choices, but it could be someone none of us mentioned.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say this, both Bobinski's and GT's hiring practices for basketball coaches have been very much in line.
Gregory at 44 was the oldest coach we hired for GT in the modern era - Both Bobby and Hewitt were in their 30's.
All of Bobinski's basketball hires have been young guys between the ages of 33-39.
Given GT's history and what Bobinski has done i would expect a young hire - a hungry up and comer type - not a retread. Those guys are also a little less expensive. Guys like Purnell, Sampson, Howland are not getting hired by GT imo. Pea is correct that GT wouldn't touch Sampson with a 10 foot pole.
The only name on his current list I could see is Joe Dooley.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wade is gonna be good, just not enough seasoning for us. Probably ready by the time his alma mater, Clemson, opens up again.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

That list was some of the most ludicrous crap i have ever seen. Kelvin Sampson? really? REALLY?!
I actually said the same thing to DTM in a pm that you just said to me. The more he posts the less informed i beleive he is. It is entertaining though. He can be a bit arrogant and easily wound up which sometimes makes things fun for me.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
That list was some of the most ludicrous crap i have ever seen. Kelvin Sampson? really? REALLY?!
I actually said the same thing to DTM in a pm that you just said to me. The more he posts the less informed i beleive he is. It is entertaining though. He can be a bit arrogant and easily wound up which sometimes makes things fun for me.
What's the twitter handle?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I will say this, both Bobinski's and GT's hiring practices for basketball coaches have been very much in line.

All of Bobinski's basketball hires have been young guys between the ages of 33-39.

That's what mid-majors do, because it's who they can afford.

It's like most things in business. Less investment, but greater risk than a proven entity.

"That's the way we've always done it" is my least favorite reason for any business decision.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Xavier may be a mid major school - but they are a big basketball school and it is their major sport. They spend alot of money on it.
I will be surprised if we go with an older coach.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
That's what mid-majors do, because it's who they can afford.

It's like most things in business. Less investment, but greater risk than a proven entity.

"That's the way we've always done it" is my least favorite reason for any business decision.

Who do you prefer? We aren't a blue blood. Seems to me we either take a chance on a young up-and-comer, or we take a re-tread. If you are holding out for a top coach, proven winner, good luck. Seems to me that an unfeasable business decision is worse than a risky one.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who do you prefer? We aren't a blue blood. Seems to me we either take a chance on a young up-and-comer, or we take a re-tread. If you are holding out for a top coach, proven winner, good luck. Seems to me that an unfeasable business decision is worse than a risky one.
Unlikely perhaps, but as Buzz Williams showed us, not impossible. I think we've got the right infrastructure & characteristics in place to attract a top flight coach, if a significant commitment to hoops is shown. I agree it's very very unlikely though. Young up & comer is the most likely route and one I think can be successful.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the night owls, New Mexico is playing at Boise State on ESPNU. Results haven't been good so far, but this is a team playing through several injuries.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mark Bradley has turned the heat up under our coach. It will be interesting to see if there is any response from Bobinski. In retrospect, I think Pitino may have done BG a disservice with his over-the-top assessment of BG's coaching ability. It was so clearly wrong, and patronizing, that MBob has to be a bit embarrassed by it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When the ACC season began, right after Christmas, I thought our upside was nine conference wins and our downside was about five. Eric predicted five wins and I thought, at the time, he was overly pessimistic. Looking at the other three teams that will play on Tuesday in the ACCT, we split with Wake and lost to BC and VT. If we cannot consistently beat the worst teams in the ACC, there is something terribly wrong.

Before the season began, we were happy that our OOC schedule had improved so much that it would likely help out NCAA selection chances. Well, uga is only likely non-conference NCAAT team we played. Dayton may make it, but right now they are a bubble team.

This season has been bad in real time, but looking back on it is downright depressing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob has made earlier responses. At this point, the only response is BG being relieved of duty the day after the ACC tourney or BG being confirmed as absolutely coming back next year, which there's no reason to make until after the ACC tourney.

This is Bradley's second editorial on the topic. The first was more of a he should probably go editorial.

Pitino isn't necessarily wrong about BG being a good coach. Just turns out he's not that good at this level of competition. I mean you listen to his pre & post game pressers, the man clearly understands hoops. For whatever reason, he just hasn't gotten it done when it counts in games. Part of me wishes a solid Mid-Major job opened up quick enough for BG to stay ahead of the reaper, just don't think it'll happen.