Coaches on the Hot Seat

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
They hired Bacari. Former player at UDM. Was Beline's Detroit recruiter. I think they should've went for BG. Looks like Perry Watson got his way. Which isn't a bad thing. He can keep some kids in the city home. Hopefully he gets a good XO guy on his bench.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, Tubby's got the tiger by the tail now ...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...-smith-is-facing-his-first-dilemma-at-memphis

Lawson kids' dad straight pimping them out for a job for himself and not even trying to mince words.
"If you hire me, I'm automatically bringing you [multiple elite prospects]," Lawson said. "Automatically. And there are coaches sitting on benches right now who can't do that."

Geez, dude. At least pretend you're a quality coach apart from your sons.

Wait, let's hope a certain other school isn't waiting to see how this situation shakes out before they fill their asst. slots. :eek:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Lawson was a head coach for over 10 years at the highschool level including going unbeaten and winning a state title in the highest classification in state I believe.

While he may be leveraging his sons for a spot, I would argue it's more the case of a guy who might get a legit look anyways, using his sons to get a better start than he might otherwise rather than someone wholly unqualified for the spot.

That being said, I'm still not calling for us to go after him.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
And in 4 years after your son averaged 10.3 ppg and ended up coaching 6th graders at the local YMCA you will ***** about how Tubby under utilized your son.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, Tubby's got the tiger by the tail now ...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye...-smith-is-facing-his-first-dilemma-at-memphis

Lawson kids' dad straight pimping them out for a job for himself and not even trying to mince words.

Wait, let's hope a certain other school isn't waiting to see how this situation shakes out before they fill their asst. slots. :eek:

It should be noted that quote was from before he was hired at Memphis.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It should be noted that quote was from before he was hired at Memphis.

Exactly and based on recent actions his sentiment has not only not changed, it's gotten worse.

By all accounts, he proved completely unworthy of even the 3rd asst position and incapable of adding anything as a coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If they allow the waiver they may as well put a match to the "rule book".

Also color me surprised Tubby bent over in this spot. The guy's kids aren't that good. Tubby won (relatively) at TxTech without a bunch of highly-rated guys. He should've just told them to stuff it and that if they wanted to give the dad control of the program, they should've just hired him as HC.

It also illustrates why CPast said that job is so high-pressure. Based on what I've been reading, MEM HS bball is a cesspool with every half-decent HS head coach wanting to be on the MEM staff. The Lawson guy was just the one with the best angle as of today. Tubby made him happy but it's pretty likely he's pissed off every other coach in the city who think they deserve that spot.

At the end of the day, I wonder if Tubby made this move half-hoping the waiver would be denied, appealed and denied again. Meanwhile, the draft deadline will pass and the better of the sons will be stuck. Hmmmm

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If they allow the waiver they may as well put a match to the "rule book".

Also color me surprised Tubby bent over in this spot. The guy's kids aren't that good. Tubby won (relatively) at TxTech without a bunch of highly-rated guys. He should've just told them to stuff it and that if they wanted to give the dad control of the program, they should've just hired him as HC.

It also illustrates why CPast said that job is so high-pressure. Based on what I've been reading, MEM HS bball is a cesspool with every half-decent HS head coach wanting to be on the MEM staff. The Lawson guy was just the one with the best angle as of today. Tubby made him happy but it's pretty likely he's pissed off every other coach in the city who think they deserve that spot.

At the end of the day, I wonder if Tubby made this move half-hoping the waiver would be denied, appealed and denied again. Meanwhile, the draft deadline will pass and the better of the sons will be stuck. Hmmmm

I think you have the basic dynamic expressed pretty well. Tubby has a situation he really didn't want / doesn't like and was doing everything he can to kick the can down the road. If this gets resolved with the guy having to take a Bobby Lutz NCSU type of role outside of the team so be it - as long as it gets resolved after the draft declaration deadline.

Next year I expect this guy to be somewhere else regardless.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think you have the basic dynamic expressed pretty well. Tubby has a situation he really didn't want / doesn't like and was doing everything he can to kick the can down the road. If this gets resolved with the guy having to take a Bobby Lutz NCSU type of role outside of the team so be it - as long as it gets resolved after the draft declaration deadline.

Next year I expect this guy to be somewhere else regardless.

Wait, which guy do you expect to be somewhere else? The asst. coach(sic)? Not likely. He has a son in the 2019 class (IIRC) who's supposedly the one who's actually top-10 good. He's trying to set himself up in a cushy position he's not qualified for until then.

Also, the bolded portion is interesting. If I understand the rule correctly, this is exactly what can't happen. It's asst. or bust if they apply the rule as it's meant to be applied.

Considering the NCAA has UNC's decades-long blatant cheating and academic fraud to deal with, they've gotta find somebody to hammer (since we know it won't be UNC). MEM came along at a bad time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wait, which guy do you expect to be somewhere else? The asst. coach(sic)? Not likely. He has a son in the 2019 class (IIRC) who's supposedly the one who's actually top-10 good. He's trying to set himself up in a cushy position he's not qualified for until then.

Also, the bolded portion is interesting. If I understand the rule correctly, this is exactly what can't happen. It's asst. or bust if they apply the rule as it's meant to be applied.

Considering the NCAA has UNC's decades-long blatant cheating and academic fraud to deal with, they've gotta find somebody to hammer (since we know it won't be UNC). MEM came along at a bad time.

There is a rule change being recommended (to be effective immediately) to allow a connected person who has served as a counted coach for 2 yrs to then serve in some other staff position. Lawson was a counted coach for 2yrs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There is a rule change being recommended (to be effective immediately) to allow a connected person who has served as a counted coach for 2 yrs to then serve in some other staff position. Lawson was a counted coach for 2yrs.

How dare you derail my half-cocked rant. :bag:

Anyways, here's the rule you're referring to ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...eelon-lawson-into-a-support-role-with-memphis

NBC Sports reported late Monday that the NCAA's Division I Board of Directors will meet in Indianapolis later this week, at which point the rule in question might be ammended to "permit an institution to reassign an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete from a countable coaching staff position to a non-coaching staff position or strength and conditioning staff position, provided the individual has been a countable coach at the institution for at least the previous two academic years."

If that proposal becomes a reality, not only would Tubby Smith have convinced Keelon Lawson to back down, but Memphis also wouldn't need a waiver to make the reassignment official and within NCAA guidelines. A ruling is expected Thursday afternoon.

No idea why they'd allow this loophole. Guess we'll know Thursday.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Lemme make sure I have this right. This coach is not particularly talented or gifted, so he is using his talented sons to piggyback his way into a job he could not win on his own merit?

If the only way I could get a decent job was to ride on (pimp) my kids' abilities, I'd have, like, zero (or negative) self-respect. Ugh. This is gross.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lemme make sure I have this right. This coach is not particularly talented or gifted, so he is using his talented sons to piggyback his way into a job he could not win on his own merit?

If the only way I could get a decent job was to ride on (pimp) my kids' abilities, I'd have, like, zero (or negative) self-respect. Ugh. This is gross.

Has this ever worked out well in this type of situation? Can't remember a situation where a dad rode his son's talents for a college job, and actually remained a college coach after his son's eligibility. Sure, you're gonna get a nice paycheck and some sweet team gear for the few years the kid is in college, but can't imagine other coaches taking someone like that seriously once there are no more sons to pimp. I would think you do more long term damage to your career.

I mean, we've seen coaches bring in their sons to play on teams (Tubby UK/UGA, Knight IU, Drew Valparaiso, etc.)...but that's because those coaches can actually coach.