Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Has this ever worked out well in this type of situation? Can't remember a situation where a dad rode his son's talents for a college job, and actually remained a college coach after his son's eligibility. Sure, you're gonna get a nice paycheck and some sweet team gear for the few years the kid is in college, but can't imagine other coaches taking someone like that seriously once there are no more sons to pimp. I would think you do more long term damage to your career.

I mean, we've seen coaches bring in their sons to play on teams (Tubby UK/UGA, Knight IU, Drew Valparaiso, etc.)...but that's because those coaches can actually coach.

Difference also being those coaches were in place and then recruited their kids.

More common is a situation like Perry Watson at Michigan who basically found his way on to the bench because he delivered/could deliver one of the fab five. (I'm thinking Rose) Perry actually turned out to be a decent College Coach. But this stuff happens quite a bit I beleive

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lemme make sure I have this right. This coach is not particularly talented or gifted, so he is using his talented sons to piggyback his way into a job he could not win on his own merit?

If the only way I could get a decent job was to ride on (pimp) my kids' abilities, I'd have, like, zero (or negative) self-respect. Ugh. This is gross.

The worse part is that he's blatantly pimping his kids. He's not even trying to hide it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Difference also being those coaches were in place and then recruited their kids.

More common is a situation like Perry Watson at Michigan who basically found his way on to the bench because he delivered/could deliver one of the fab five. (I'm thinking Rose) Perry actually turned out to be a decent College Coach. But this stuff happens quite a bit I beleive
Yes. He coached Jalen at Detroit Southwestern. Rumor always was that he was going to Vegas to be on Tarks staff. Jalen was heading to Unlv because of Anderson Hunt. Then they were hit with probation and they ended up at scUM. Perry wound up being a pretty good coach at UDetroit.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Now he gets to recruit with the lowlife of all time. Pearl makes Cal look innocent. AU alums will throw plenty of cash to get recruits. (See: Newton, Cam). Only a matter of time til Pearl is out and they're on probation.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I kept an eye on Bruce while he was UT, you couldn't ask for a big booster of his team and program. He is a tireless recruiter and while he may have skirted the rules I think he's generally a straight forward guy. He very amenable and good with the fans/press. The folks in the eSECpn better watch out.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
You have to start with the Deon Thomas situation. Pearl broke a bunch of unwritten rules in the coaching profession (turning in other coaches, taping conversations) and was blackballed for years from the top programs. There are many pieces written about it if you want to read more about it. They are easy to find by searching for Bruce Pearl Deon Thomas.

On the more recent front, this stands out to me (from this story):

On Sept. 10, 2010, Pearl delivered his tearful apology to the Tennessee faithful, a press conference where he came clean about the violations he had committed and the lies he had told. He was admitting his mistakes, making himself the sacrificial lamb.

Pearl had learned his lesson, or so he wanted every one to believe.

Four days later, according to the notice of allegations that the NCAA sent Tennessee, on Sept. 14th, Pearl and assistant coach Tony Jones met with former UCLA guard Jordan Adams for two-to-three minutes at Oak Hill Academy, Adams’ high school. Adams was a junior at the time, which made the visit a clear violation of NCAA rules.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only reason he hired Dollar is to try to pry Okogie and Mello YellowJacket from us.
They don't need Okogie. They landed a sit-out transfer that averaged 20ppg and sounds like an MGH clone, as well as a 5* FR & 4*Soph.

Mello is another story, but given the concerns that he may not qualify at GT anyway, Auburn would be a good landing spot for him while not necessarily coming back to haunt us.