1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Coaches on the Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by dtm1997, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Difference also being those coaches were in place and then recruited their kids.

More common is a situation like Perry Watson at Michigan who basically found his way on to the bench because he delivered/could deliver one of the fab five. (I'm thinking Rose) Perry actually turned out to be a decent College Coach. But this stuff happens quite a bit I beleive

Buzz776g likes this.
  2. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

The worse part is that he's blatantly pimping his kids. He's not even trying to hide it.

Buzz776g likes this.
  3. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

Yes. He coached Jalen at Detroit Southwestern. Rumor always was that he was going to Vegas to be on Tarks staff. Jalen was heading to Unlv because of Anderson Hunt. Then they were hit with probation and they ended up at scUM. Perry wound up being a pretty good coach at UDetroit.

Buzz776g likes this.
  4. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Pounced on an oppty to stay closer to ATL instead of going to Illinois State.

5. Peacone36

He will probably recruit his balls off now.

Buzz776g likes this.
  6. kg01

.... probably not.

McCamish Maniacs, Peacone36 and AE 87 like this.
  7. gtuberfan

gtuberfan Helluva Engineer

For some reason I'm quite worried about this. He was :poop::poop::poop: here but I'm still worried.

8. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

Now he gets to recruit with the lowlife of all time. Pearl makes Cal look innocent. AU alums will throw plenty of cash to get recruits. (See: Newton, Cam). Only a matter of time til Pearl is out and they're on probation.

9. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Only SEC teams west of the Mississippi are eligible for NCAA sanctions.

10. Peacone36

Do explain what makes Pearl such low down scumbag? Hosting BBQs?

11. kg01

He's a snake-oil salesman. The bbq to Pearl was akin to tax evasion to Capone probably.

12. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

As long as he keeps his shirt on and I never have to see him with AU body paint all over him at a women's game he's alright with me.

13. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

I kept an eye on Bruce while he was UT, you couldn't ask for a big booster of his team and program. He is a tireless recruiter and while he may have skirted the rules I think he's generally a straight forward guy. He very amenable and good with the fans/press. The folks in the eSECpn better watch out.

14. Peacone36

I think his rep is far off. I think he genuinely cares for his kids.

15. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

You have to start with the Deon Thomas situation. Pearl broke a bunch of unwritten rules in the coaching profession (turning in other coaches, taping conversations) and was blackballed for years from the top programs. There are many pieces written about it if you want to read more about it. They are easy to find by searching for Bruce Pearl Deon Thomas.

On the more recent front, this stands out to me (from this story):

On Sept. 10, 2010, Pearl delivered his tearful apology to the Tennessee faithful, a press conference where he came clean about the violations he had committed and the lies he had told. He was admitting his mistakes, making himself the sacrificial lamb.

Pearl had learned his lesson, or so he wanted every one to believe.

Four days later, according to the notice of allegations that the NCAA sent Tennessee, on Sept. 14th, Pearl and assistant coach Tony Jones met with former UCLA guard Jordan Adams for two-to-three minutes at Oak Hill Academy, Adams’ high school. Adams was a junior at the time, which made the visit a clear violation of NCAA rules.

16. kg01

He cares about himself plus he's a snitch.

17. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

If he's a snitch I have no respect. Where I come from snitches are bitches. Streets of Flint made me cold.

18. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

a quick Google search is all you need. Pearl is filthy.

19. kg01

Only reason he hired Dollar is to try to pry Okogie and Mello YellowJacket from us.

20. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

They don't need Okogie. They landed a sit-out transfer that averaged 20ppg and sounds like an MGH clone, as well as a 5* FR & 4*Soph.

Mello is another story, but given the concerns that he may not qualify at GT anyway, Auburn would be a good landing spot for him while not necessarily coming back to haunt us.