Coaches on the Hot Seat

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Tubby is a really good coach. He can't recruit that well, but he's one of the better coaching minds in the country. Think Memphis overcompensated on the X's and O's after Pastner's recruit first coach later philosophy, but Tubby will win at Memphis. Look at his coaching history. In his 25 years of coaching, he's won 20+ games 19 times, and has made the postseason 20 times (18 times to the Dance). He took over a dumpster fire at Texas Tech and got them to the NCAA in his 3rd year.

If GT had signed Tubby and put him with an ace recruiting assistant, I would have been pretty happy. Of course, being an ex-UGA coach, that was NEVER going to happen.

He is also 64 years old. I don't think Tech was looking for that. Quite frankly, I am surprised Memphis is.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He is also 64 years old. I don't think Tech was looking for that. Quite frankly, I am surprised Memphis is.

Yeah he's up there...I was just making a point that he's a really good coach. Maybe not ideal in age, but if you want to a coach who will come in get your program back to the NCAA, you could do MUCH worse than Tubby.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When asked why the MEM job was so lightly regarded, Goodman says this ...

Not to belabor this, but when we failed to hire a 'big name' it was because GT sucks as a basketball job per the experts(sic). MEM fails and oh, it's just 'cause they didn't pay.

Or maybe MEM isn't the top 15 basketball job you touted it to be?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When asked why the MEM job was so lightly regarded, Goodman says this ...

Not to belabor this, but when we failed to hire a 'big name' it was because GT sucks as a basketball job per the experts(sic). MEM fails and oh, it's just 'cause they didn't pay.

Or maybe MEM isn't the top 15 basketball job you touted it to be?

No one slams their own meme.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Memphis is a top 30 job.

They probably realized they weren't going to get One of the M's and decided to make a solid hire instead of a gamble hire like McCall or Davis. He probably isn't expected to be there forever and the crop of coaches when he steps away may be better, or Penny may be ready by then.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Memphis is a top 30 job.

They probably realized they weren't going to get One of the M's and decided to make a solid hire instead of a gamble hire like McCall or Davis. He probably isn't expected to be there forever and the crop of coaches when he steps away may be better, or Penny may be ready by then.

I'm on an anti-Goodman roll. I'm not letting you stop it with your ... logic and ... sensible thinking.

Wait, last week you made MEM out to be a blue blood job. What gives? Haven't seen a backpeddle this good since Deion Sanders'.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They paid a ****load for Tubby

Just say that and .... daaaaaayum! Why, Tigers?

ETA: The facts don't quite line up with Goodman saying the only reason MEM didn't end up landing a big name was due to not paying. Interesting.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just say that and .... daaaaaayum! Why, Tigers?

ETA: The facts don't quite line up with Goodman saying the only reason MEM didn't end up landing a big name was due to not paying. Interesting.

Marshall was gonna cost way more than $3Mil and not sure that money is worth the pressure for Buzz Williams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I lived in downtown Memphis and worked in Whitehaven (near Graceland) about 20 years ago. I loved it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Apparently (per Goodman) TxTech meeting with Chris Beard. Yes, the same guy who just got hired at UNLV. Whoa.

Beard was an asst in Lubbock for 10 yrs per Goodman.

ETA: That should say 'met' with Beard as in the meeting already happened. UNLV released a statement to that effect and stated they were aware of it beforehand.