Coach Paul Johnson Appreciation Thread

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul, thanks for every ounce of yourself that you've given. What a ride, my friend. You brought a ferocity and a set of expectations that, quite ironically, you ended up suffering in comparison to for the last several years. Rest up. You did good for 40 years!! I couldn't be prouder of you, and for you. I am only sad for us. But relieved for you, too.

Since Susan will probably read this, I'd be remiss if I failed to say that we love you with all our hearts. I wish you were here for us to hug right now. You've given the program a fierce support, and have dedicated yourself to his work on the Flats loyally. Can't wait to see you guys next.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
2018w14.PNG

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hope all words of well wishing will be passed on to Coach Johnson.

When he came in 2007-2008, I believed this was the right hire for GT. After 11 years, I still believe he is the right HC for GT. He gives us the "puncher's chance" against factory schools that we cannot have at the Institute (under current limitations and paradigms that do not seem to be changing) with a more standard offensive system. He served GT with integrity, and he made me proud and excited about our football program.

Please realize that I hated option football in the 70's and 80's when Bammer and OK were running rough shod over everyone, but when it is your alma mater's offense, and when I saw what it could do to teams with more talent when executed properly, it turned out to be something I loved to watch.

Coach Johnson: I wish you nothing but blessings and good favor as you leave. Thank you, sir, for serving my alma mater with class and dignity. You were a different kind of dude, but GT is a different kind of school, and I believe it was a perfect match.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thank you Coach Paul Johnson for your time on The Flats. Your hard work, dedication, and determination to take the Yellow Jackets higher than we have been in years is greatly appreciated.
On a personal note, thank you for that small touch for my Mother last year. It may not have seemed much at the time, I want you to know that the get-well card you sent brought a smile to her face during a time when smiles were few and far between. #TogetherWeSwarm

Texas_Wreck53

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks Coach Johnson for all the memories. I grew up watching the option at Rice and I remember asking my dad “ why do they always run the same plays, why is it so predictable?” Johnson showed how effective the “predictable” option offense is year in and year out. He turned out great people in the program and to support it. Great memories from the 2011 upset of Clemson, the double Sun Bowl, the 2014 orange bowl, Justin Thomas , Zach Laskey, Days, Washington, Uzzi, Shaq, the leap, the kick, the pick, The Austin twins, so many good memories. His passion for GT football was admirable and is a Tech Man through and through.

Last edited by a moderator:

USCJacket15

Georgia Tech Fan
Some of my greatest memories as a Tech fan were under his watch:

Miracle on North Avenue vs. FSU
Thursday night drubbing of Miami
Breaking the losing streak vs. UGA
Upsetting #4 VT
Winning the ACC
Upsetting #6 Clemson
Beating Southern Cal in the Sun Bowl
Kick and the Pick to beat UGA
Destroying MSU in the Orange Bowl
Kick-six against #9 FSU
Converting a 4th & 19 and scoring late to beat BC in Ireland
Scoring late to beat UGA for the 2nd time in 3 years
Finally handing Richt a defeat in BDS this year vs. Miami

I have faith that Stansbury will hire a great replacement, but whoever he ends up being will have some awfully big shoes to fill. CPJ did what many doubted was possible and showed that his offense can be successful in a P5 conference, proving once again that "You can do that" at Georgia Tech.

Thanks for everything Paul, I know I speak for most Tech fans when I say that you will be missed and that I hope you have an enjoyable retirement, you've sure earned it!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Upsetting #4 VT
Winning the ACC
Upsetting #6 Clemson
Kick-six against #9 FSU

I have faith that Stansbury will hire a great replacement, but whoever he ends up being will have some awfully big shoes to fill. CPJ did what many doubted was possible and showed that his offense can be successful in a P5 conference, proving once again that "You can do that" at Georgia Tech.

Thanks for everything Paul, I know I speak for most Tech fans when I say that you will be missed and that I hope you have an enjoyable retirement, you've sure earned it!

Thank you, USC.

I left out of my tribute some of this stuff above - The one I show in bold above was one of my greatest memories with my late son, and I will never forget this awesome experience. I wish Paul was not leaving - I believe GT fans have not seen the abyss we might be in for (yes, BL was the abyss, but this might last longer)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks coach.

Before I knew who you were, I enjoyed laughing as Hawaii's offense ruined Ty's Heisman-winning day. It was a wonderful show!

Since you've been our coach, I've loved the beauty of our offense, and the fact that our guys didn't quit. You made GT football fun for me again. Over the last 11 years or over the last 5 years, our offense has averaged in the top 10 in scoring efficiency. Remarkable achievement!

Thanks.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Upsetting #4 VT
Winning the ACC
Upsetting #6 Clemson
Kick-six against #9 FSU

Ended the Charlottesville losing streak